Bose Triport IE's - impressions from users
Nov 11, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #91 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ
ATTN MANUFACTURERS: Start burning in your equipment before you box it up. This is just plain stupid already. It's not a once-in-a-while occurence. It happens almost all the time. FIX IT!!!!

The fact that they dont points me to another conclusion...

Nov 11, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #92 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25
The fact that they dont points me to another conclusion...

For example, that it would be much too expensive to do ..?
confused.gif

Nov 11, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #94 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by lekun
But for $99, I, personally, don't see it.

Leave them running for a week and then post back your impressions.
biggrin.gif
also try different sources because they seem to have impedance issues since they sound like crap out of my presonus headphone jack.

Nov 12, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #95 of 194
On Atraclife.com, they pointed out some differences between the Sony MDR-EX90 and the new and less expensive MDR-EX85: some cheaper components in the EX85 but the same driver, and SQ testing phase for the EX90s. Apparently, spending the time and labor to test earbuds for sound quality adds a significant cost, so I would expect that burn-in testing would also add to the cost.

Nov 12, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #96 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by lekun
They definitely were trying for the signature triport sound (which I actually like not from a hifi perspective, as it seems to be distorted on the low end, but I find the sound fun). But for me they way missed the mark. I could use adjectives like muffled, muddy, and low-roll off, but every ones ears are different.

I had a similar reaction at first that EQ only partially helped. But then I read another review here of the IE's that said to try the larger sized earpieces. Wow, SHAZAM, the muddy lows cleaned up and more importantly the very flat and thin sounding upper end was transformed immediately. And this is still with only 2 days of burn in.

I highly recommend trying the larger earpieces. Maybe not quite as comfortable (at least for me), but with the better seal, the Triports really turn into something special.

I also agree with the comments about Keith Jarrett. Listening to the Paris concerts through the Transports was breathtaking.

Nov 12, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #97 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadKase
I also agree with the comments about Keith Jarrett. Listening to the Paris concerts through the Transports was breathtaking.

I'm really surprised to be listening to so much Jarrett on the IEs, because my initial desire when auditioning CDs on them was to get the advantage of the enhanced bass register, which is usually far less dynamic on solo piano recordings. Moreover, Jarrett's top register (where I still judge that the IEs are disadvantaged) is usually of critical importance when listening to him. Nevertheless, here I am with the Koln Concert plugged into my head again. Check out the pedal thumps on track 1, 6:20!

I'm actually wondering whether the IEs are graduating from being an intriguing "graphic equaliser circuit" to offering me a completely musical presentation ...

Nov 12, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #98 of 194
Quote:

Sordel: By the way, it's a tiny complaint really but I find the short length of the cable on these things really annoying. I barely noticed at first, but as I've linked up to different sources I have, on a number of occasions, had them yanked out of my ears by a (moderate) head movement

Its funny that you mention the length of the cable. After listening to the Westone UM2's for a couple months I found the length of the cable very irritating. The IE's seem long after that experience. All things being relative.

I also want to listen to the headroom amps and am very curious about the qualities of the DAC units. Regarding amps: I was just mentioning the PA2V2 as an opportunity to try other amplifiers with the IE's. Watch out for that grainy thing tho...
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #99 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
My thoughts are the reverse. I think a lot of music nowadays are EQ'ed to compensate for cheap earbuds with no real bass capability--- compressing them so that they have virtually no dynamic range. So the IE sounds overbearing in the bass department when played with these bass-adjusted music. I listen to live DVD performances with the IE and they perform VERY well... the bass volume and "kick" is just about right, as if you're really there live.

That makes alot of sense with regard to the many comments you can read on the thread. Listening to Cream (Royal Albert Hall) the recording is very clean and the soundstage is transparent. Many of the recordings my sons ask me to listen to sound "modified" for a particular "set" of gear.

Nov 12, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #100 of 194
Okay, I've had these for a couple of days now (quick shipping from Bose btw.) so here are my impressions. I've tailored this review for people who want to use these portably.

Equipment Used: To start this off, I listened to these with the Rio Karma, iPod nano, and new iPod shuffle (the player I bought these for.) I personally don't like the Karma's sound too much (too murky / veiled) so I won't go into that.

The nano has a relatively clear sound and the headphones sounded good with it. My mp3s are gained down in volume to 89 decibels and I had to crank it up to about 85% of its maximum volume for a good listen in a quiet environment, so it probably wouldn't be the best player to use.

The shuffle sounds great with them as well, and is way more than powerful enough to drive them to incredibly high volumes. The new shuffle hiss is completely absent. These buds complement the player quite nicely.

Sound: These are characterized by having excellent bass, a nice soundstage, and good detail all around. The sound is quite lush and sounds fairly realistic. Overall, the headphones are a bit on the dark side and I think are relatively coloured (which I actually like.)

The bass itself is really awesome for buds. I've never heard anything else in that headphone category come even close. If you have the Sony EX90 and have it properly seran-wrap modded (you'll know it's well done when the bass starts to thump instead of only growing much more present), then it's that "thump" times about 1.5. With all this though, the bass isn't overbearing, or comes out more in tracks then it should. It just has a good quality sound to it and thumps like a circumaural headphone instead of a bud. You can hear a lot of bass guitar that is normally hard to hear in songs, and I love bass guitar, so I'm very happy.

I don't have much to say on the soundstage since I'm not entirely sure about it yet, but I'd say it's about as much as the Sony D66 Eggos (sorry, not a lot of help to those who haven't heard them), only instead of being only farther to the left or right, they are all around the headphone, back and front, up and down, etc. Somewhat similar to the Audio Technica A900s (though obviously having far less of a soundstage.)

I think they sound good for all types of genres, from rock to jazz/classical to indie to electronic. Some people complained about how they sound bad with alternative rock. I can't see why, unless the recording was really weird or they prefer more sizzling guitars versus the more lush sounds coming from this headphone (get a Grado!)

I'm particularly happy with how this sounds with lo-fi indie music, which I listen to a lot of. It brings the music fairly forward and it becomes more alive. A lot more hidden bass is found as well.

Burn-in: ...Is required. DO NOT judge these based on how they sound at the beginning. Out of all of my headphones, these and the A900s changed the most. Right now, I've put in about 24 hours or so, and the last 8 really seemed to do wonders. The sound used to be pretty good (very dark) but the sound signature was kind of all over the place. Some songs sounded really wonky, like the instruments were put into the wrong place in the mix, not really jiving as a whole. Now, the sound signature has vastly improved and it's pretty controlled. The phones aren't as dark as they used to be (though I don't think anyone would think of these as very bright!)

Isolation/Leakage: Yes, these don't isolate. In fact, don't even try to get a seal out of them because it makes them sound really bad. I find that the medium tips sound best out of all of them. The large seem to fit even better, but I guess the slight seal/isolation that you get from them makes everything sound darker and less detailed.

On the bright side, these things keep the sound in very well. I went for a walk with these today and I could head the louder of the surrounding noise - like cars - but it didn't bother me nearly as much as with normal earbuds, since the sound is contained. For me, they're great walking headphones. And of course, since they don't seal, there's no microphonics.

I haven't asked people to tell me how much sound they leak, but from what I hear, it's little to none, so that's nice too (I often listen to music at the library.)

Useability/build quality: These are quite comfortable indeed, though I wouldn't say that they're the best of all my headphones. They fit in your ear quite securely in a way so that a downward tug on the wire doesn't pull them out. I don't find, unlike other people, that the tips come off very easily. They kind of "snap" into place when you put them on.

The wire is relatively thick and I think can take some abuse. It's very friction happy, which is nice in that I usually wear the wire under my shirt, so its friction prevents it from being dragged down and pulling on the buds while they're in my ears. I usually have to make myself a clip on / safety pin device to attach the wire to my shirt to prevent this discomfort, but I might not need to with these (I'll have to wait and see.)

The buds do not stick out far out of your ears and I can wear a (not too tight) winter toque over them without a problem (yes, winter phones!) And it's kind of a miscellaneous point, but these look very nice and stylish when you're wearing them.

Comparisons: How do these compare sonically with some other headphones?

MX400: Blows them out of the water.

EX90: Beats them handily (same price btw.) When they're modded with seran wrap (and I stress properly modded since, from personal experience, the effect it gives can vary widly), these are a bit better or more in just about every category except isolation - obviously - and soundstage (where it beats them out.)

PX100 (old versions): I think the Bose beat them out as well. Not as much bass as these things, but I think that's to be expected.

A900: Obviously, the A900 win out. But I love both of these phones now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Overall: Excellent bass, pretty good overall sound, surprisingly decent soundstage, great for portable use. These aren't for people who need isolation or don't have a player strong enough to drive them well them or an amp. Coupled with my shuffle, these are probably now my headphones of choice. I'll edit this post if my opinion changes sometime in the future though.

Nov 12, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #101 of 194
i picked up a pair of these about a week and a half ago...they are great for a very specific purpose...walking around. they produce a very pleasant listen (especially with rock and electronica) while at the same time letting you hear the cars and people around you...thus decreasing the chance of getting hit by a vehicle or mugged by a person in new york city. i like them a lot...however not the best for the subway.

i use them with my new 80 gb ipod or my 2g shuffle.

Nov 12, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #103 of 194
Ref: Dynamic vs. Armature => I was refering to earphones not headphones.

So far I had not tested an in-ear (IE) earphone (not headphones) that was dynamic and had sound to compare to other usual suspects. The term IE, as I understand, designates in-ear meaning in the ear canal. IE does not stand for anything that goes in your ear (such as a headphone or an earring) that's why Apple and Sony, that I know of (correct me anyone if I'm wrong), don't market their stuff as IE. IEM (in-ear monitor) on the other hand is a trade mark by Futuresonics. What Bose did was put the IE in their box and product name and a plastic piece that covers the dynamic speaker in the shape of something that "looked like" was going to be inserted in your ear canal and therefore work like all other IE earphones. But the reality is that they just sit on the outer part with no isolation, therefore they are not different than any other sony or Sennheirser earbuds.

Now to my observation about not finding any dynamic earbuds that could compare to the true IE earphones, I have now just found a new product that surprised me BIG time and forced me to change my statement. The new v-moda vibe is a dynamic IE (true in-ear) earphones which provide isolation (which is in direct relation to the sound quality in my opinion at least to this size of earbuds again -- NOT headphones) and they sound AWESOME.

We ALWAYS get samples first before carrying and promoting a product as I find it very easy to promote things that we believe in and we keep ourselves entirely honest about our opinion. So the order of the facts are: sample received, we test, if we love them, we order and start promoting. If we don't like them it's end of story.

Aside form all cost discussion, technology and other things I simply tell people to try them. If someone thinks the Bose sounds as good as an UM1 or a vibe, having tried all 3 products or any of the other stuff we carry, then we have very different hearing.

The main thing is TRY FOR YOURSELF. We have all models for demo here in Celebration and we are currently discussing the possibility of "selling/renting" a basket that would include a mix of earphones to be compared by the customer, which would be returned after a period of time.

We strongly believe it's all about YOU and YOUR perception of the sound quality. Everything else I write is simply my "next door neighbor" opinion. We are only happy when you are.

Nov 12, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #104 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T
What Bose did was put the IE in their box and product name and a plastic piece that covers the dynamic speaker in the shape of something that "looked like" was going to be inserted in your ear canal and therefore work like all other IE earphones. But the reality is that they just sit on the outer part with no isolation, therefore they are not different than any other sony or Sennheiser earbuds.

I don't think that there was a clear attempt to mislead, although certainly people have found the name to be misleading. (That said, I don't suppose that anyone on these forums buys a headphone on the basis of their interpretation of the product name!) IE seems to be a fair designation for an earbud given that Bose don't make any other headphone that fits anything like that, and the silicone sleeves are indeed projected into the ear.

Whether they are "not different than any other Sony or Sennheiser earbuds" I would find it difficult to judge, not having heard them, but that seems a bit like saying that an 880 is no different from an HD 650 ... just because their morphology is (very superficially) similar, doesn't mean that they are not completely different beasts.

I note the point about the v-moda though. Will Earphone Solutions be stocking this as an audiophile product then?

Nov 12, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #105 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T
We ALWAYS get samples first before carrying and promoting a product as I find it very easy to promote things that we believe in and we keep ourselves entirely honest about our opinion.

I'm sorry but as I read your review of the Bose IE, I've always thought it was in your best interest NOT to like them (i.e. people would rather pick them up from a local retail outlet with return convenience than pay shipping from your shop), so I take your statement with a very large grain of salt, especially now that you're promoting the V-moda in the Bose thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back