Bose Sues Beats for Patent Infringement
Jul 29, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #91 of 186
Here, two companies for which I have neither affinity nor allegiance are thrust into a litigious situation over what? Two awful sounding technologies. Neither company makes anything worth what they charge. They should file,suits against each other for successfully lying to consumers about the efficacy of their products in the first place. This stokes my ire for both.

Jul 29, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #92 of 186
Here, two companies for which I have neither affinity nor allegiance are thrust into a litigious situation over what? Two awful sounding technologies. Neither company makes anything worth what they charge. They should file,suits against each other for successfully lying to consumers about the efficacy of their products in the first place. This stokes my ire for both.

Have you checked Bose's ANC on headphones like their QuietComfort15's?

It's the best in the world, bar none - boom! - and the worlds on mute :)

Once you've tried it and realise just how good it is, it makes sense that Bose would defend it's patents on their tech that produces such remarkable ANC, as it naturally gives them a massive competitive edge for consumers that are looking for this function specifically. (http://brandsaudit.wordpress.com/the-headphones-market/)

And if you didn't already know this :

lol :D - only joking :wink:

http://brandsaudit.wordpress.com/bose-headphone/

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #93 of 186
Yes. And quite honestly, I'm not that impressed. Awful sounding audio, at a premium price, is the compromise and for me that makes it simply not worth their weight. A good pair of IEMs and the world disappears just as well, with steal clad sonic performance in tact. Bose can keep their whole line of mediocre products. Patents and all.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #94 of 186
Yes. And quite honestly, I'm not that impressed. Awful sounding audio, at a premium price, is the compromise and for me that makes it simply not worth the quiet. A good pair of IEMs and the world disappears just as well, with steal lad sonic performance in tact. Bose can keep their whole line of mediocre products. Patents and all.

What IEM's do you use personally or would recommend as an alternative to headphones with ANC if you don't mind me asking out of genuine interest? :)

Maybe its a shame that Bose's SQ when playing music through their headcans isn't as sophisticated and level of quality as their ANC, however, I don't find the QC15's as having a particularly bad sound signature at all, maybe just a little bland.

But I know for sure that I purchased the QC15's on the strength of their ANC feature being so amazing, if faced with these headphones as just a stand alone headphone without their ANC feature, I wouldn't have bought them, so perhaps this is in line with just how protective Bose are in defending the tech that gives these headphones their unique selling point.

FWIW, I tend to agree with this review below as he describes the SQ of the Bose Sound True on ear headphones, which IMO, pretty much sums up Bose's headphones SQ in general , for me anyway.

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/qfnwUiUwiqs[/VIDEO]​

edit: this video appears to be subtitled, but why would anyone who is deaf want to watch a headphone review video? Meh...

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #95 of 186
  Yes, I'm here. I've got some Beats Studio 2 in-house. The noise canceling seems better than the old Studio but I find it not as good as Bose.

It's also got some issues that I'll go into in the review that make me think they don't quite have their poop in a group on the noise canceling front.

If there is patent infringement, it's likely a very complex argument on the details of the circuit and algorithm design.

If the case does go to trial, we'll probably learn a lot about Bose headphones...though I suppose one could just go read all the patents.

My take is a little more skeptical...basically Dr. Dre and Iovine have a lot of $$$ riding on the Apple sale and Bose knows this. So they're throwing this at them at this particular time to get a settlement. Bose likely has zero plans on taking this to court. Beats wants this to go away to allow the acquisition to continue normally. Basically a kind of patent-infringement blackmail. They're trying to get a cut of the billions that Apple is going to pay, nothing more, nothing less. Their timing is very "opportunistic". 
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #96 of 186
My take is a little more skeptical...basically Dr. Dre and Iovine have a lot of $$$ riding on the Apple sale and Bose knows this. So they're throwing this at them at this particular time to get a settlement. Bose likely has zero plans on taking this to court. Beats wants this to go away to allow the acquisition to continue normally. Basically a kind of patent-infringement blackmail. They're trying to get a cut of the billions that Apple is going to pay, nothing more, nothing less. Their timing is very "opportunistic". :wink:  

But isn't the deal already done and dusted between beats and Apple?

One reason that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet regarding why Bose are actively bringing beats to court, is that beats already have history of aggressively pursuing Bose's core customer base, with the release of the beats executive.

The executive as name suggests is aimed at such and who travel in the course of their business. Bose appear to have had this market sewn up unchallenged, then beats make a lunge for a slice of the young to middle aged business sector, and now they may have infringed on Bose's ANC patents - no guessing which model of beats any improved ANC would be utilised into first.

Bose are under no ambiguity that beats have their sights aimed on business sector and key to this is quality ANC, which the current model of beats executive doesn't match up to Bose's standard by a long shot. No wonder Bose are looking to protect their ANC patents - if a company like beats now owned by Apple were left unchallenged, Bose could lose their ANC market overnight.

One advantage the beats executive headphone has over it's Bose counterpart is it's robustness. The executive has aluminium headband and arms and folds into a small neat convenient form in its travel/storage case.

The Bose QC15 are in comparison to the beats executive, fragile feeling when handled and require careful use. The Bose would almost certainly get damaged if thrown into a messenger bag without being put in its protective storage case which is larger than the beats executives, so less convenient.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #97 of 186
But isn't the deal already done and dusted between beats and Apple?

One reason that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet regarding why Bose are actively bringing beats to court, is that beats already have history of aggressively pursuing Bose's core customer base, with the release of the beats executive.

The executive as name suggests is aimed at such and who travel in the course of their business. Bose appear to have had this market sown up unchallenged, then beats make a lunge for a slice of the young to middle aged business sector, and now they may have infringed on Bose's ANC patents - no guessing which model of beats any improved ANC would be utilised into first.

Bose are under no ambiguity that beats have their sights aimed on business sector and key to this is quality ANC, which the current model of beats executive doesn't match up to Bose's standard by a long shot. No wonder Bose are looking to protect their ANC patents - if a company like beats now owned by Apple were left unchallenged, Bose could lose their ANC market overnight.

I don't think it's done...thus Bose's last second ditch effort. It was supposed to be completed by year's end. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm fairly familiar with the Beats Executive and QC15s, you can read my thoughts on them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-19-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

The Executives from last year had a horrible hiss that killed them right off the bat. Luckily, I've heard a few pair this year and I can confirm that this problem is fixed on newer models. And by looks alone, the Executive mop the floor with the pedestrian QC15s.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #98 of 186
I don't think it's done...thus Bose's last second ditch effort. It was supposed to be completed by year's end. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm fairly familiar with the Beats Executive and QC15s, you can read my thoughts on them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-19-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

The Executives from last year had a horrible hiss that killed them right off the bat. Luckily, I've heard a few pair this year and I can confirm that this problem is fixed on newer models. And by looks alone, the Executive mop the floor with the pedestrian QC15s.

M8! :)

Your link to your review is most excellent indeed - I've just read up on your executive impressions and thoroughly enjoyed it :L3000:

A quick scroll down the page and you cover a host of portables that interest me such as the KEF M500, Martin Logan Mikros 90s and B&O HE6 to name but a few :cool:

And - what a refreshing change to read a positive beats headphone review from someone who isn't afraid to tell it as it is (IMO) :wink: - sorry to keep bleating on about that - lol :deadhorse:

Excellent stuff for sure - thanks for sharing - I'll be spending some time reading your portable can reviews for sure :beerchug:

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #99 of 186
M8!
smily_headphones1.gif

Your link to your review is most excellent indeed - I've just read up on your executive impressions and thoroughly enjoyed it
L3000.gif

A quick scroll down the page and you cover a host of portables that interest me such as the KEF M500, Martin Logan Mikros 90s and B&O HE6 to name but a few
cool.gif

And - what a refreshing change to read a positive beats headphone review from someone who isn't afraid to tell it as it is (IMO)
wink.gif
- sorry to keep bleating on about that - lol
deadhorse.gif

Excellent stuff for sure - thanks for sharing - I'll be spending some time reading your portable can reviews for sure
beerchug.gif

Thanks man. 
redface.gif

Jul 30, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #100 of 186
Is it just me & hifiguy528 who think these "mint" streak themed Bose cans look pretty cool? (get it - mint - cool? never mind)

http://youtu.be/strU7wsl-U8

Those are actually decent sounding headphones.  I'm using them right now on my Woo Audio WA6 tube amp.  LOL... #OverKill

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #101 of 186
  So Bose is Suing Beats becuase they are trying to take their place in the "expensive headphones that sound like ass for people who know nothing about audio" market ?

and yea pretty much, lol I love your desciption of that market too 

What are you talking about? They're not suing Ultrasone.

Lawl good point

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #102 of 186
and yea pretty much, lol I love your desciption of that market too 

Lawl good point

What is this - brand bashing thread?

I own Bose beats & Ultrasone cans and am welling up trying to hold back my tears because of your hurtful comments *sob* :wink:

But seriously dudes - brand bashing is just the ultimate DERP! :D

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #103 of 186
What is this - brand bashing thread?

I own Bose beats & Ultrasone cans and am welling up trying to hold back my tears because of your hurtful comments *sob*
wink.gif

But seriously dudes - brand bashing is just the ultimate DERP!
biggrin.gif

Of course not, but to some extent yea

Nothing agains't ultrasone, other than the price of thier cans has gotten silly here in the US, the pro 900 used to be about $300 USD New 2 years back, when the DT 990 Pro is still $150 New, and the PRo 900 is like $500 new... yea some bashing is in order imo

as for Bose, they have some AWESOME ANC... 

ehm how ever, It'll be nice to see how this law suit works out 

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #104 of 186
Of course not, but to some extent yea

Nothing agains't ultrasone, other than the price of thier cans has gotten silly here in the US, the pro 900 used to be about $300 USD New 2 years back, when the DT 990 Pro is still $150 New, and the PRo 900 is like $500 new... yea some bashing is in order imo

as for Bose, they have some AWESOME ANC... 

ehm how ever, It'll be nice to see how this law suit works out 

I won't feel better unless you say something genuinely nice about beats without any sarcasm :wink:

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #105 of 186
I won't feel better unless you say something genuinely nice about beats without any sarcasm
wink.gif

Oh in all honestly, I liked the Beats Solo, the little 40mm cans. When I had my XB 700 back in teh day, I found the Solo to be on par with it, with the benifit of being smaller and a little better looking, ofc my XB 700 was uhh $80 new? The solos like $200, but the price of good looks and function seemed mandated 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back