Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones
May 26, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #961 of 1,152
Do the QC25 have the correct connection if i go for just wired?
You don't buy Boses to plug them into a hifi setup at home. They are made for travelling. You should get something that sounds way better for half the price. The cord on these headphones will be really short because they're made for portable use. If you really need anc headphones at home, then get the Bluetooth transmitter to go with the QC35s.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #962 of 1,152
Guys picking up my hifi gear in a few weeks (used marantz amp etc). Being a little long in the tooth not sure how i would connect the QC35's to the amp? (ps listened to them and they were fantastic imo.)
If you want o be wireless, I doubt that your amp has a Bluetooth transmitter. In fact you don't necessarily need an Amp, get a good Bluetooth transmitter and plug the line out of your source into that. If you really want to connect to the Amp you can use the wired option, the QC35's will sound best powered up, in this case the QC35's internal electronics will be at work, again questioning the value of the Amp. Most Amps have lousy headphone sockets (series resistor), some do not which requires speaker taps. I'd skip the amp altogether.
See the below link.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QV77XU6

May 27, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #964 of 1,152
I checked the specification and they say that I can use the headphones with no battery left, but can I use the mic or do I have to get a special cable or something?
I believe the mic is only useable via Bluetooth. The Mic and switch are not accessible through the wired option.

May 30, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #965 of 1,152
I checked the specification and they say that I can use the headphones with no battery left, but can I use the mic or do I have to get a special cable or something?
You have to get a special cable. The headphones themselves will work without any power using the cable that Bose supplies but you won't be able to make phone calls. Also, the audio quality is drastically reduced when doing this. This mode is meant to get you through until you can charge the headphones. Bose does sell an additional cable, one with a built-in remote and microphone. I think it's $30 and advertised as an accessory for the QC25's but it will work with the QC35's. You'll be able to make phone calls and control media playback with the cable when the headphones are drained.

May 31, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #966 of 1,152
You have to get a special cable. The headphones themselves will work without any power using the cable that Bose supplies but you won't be able to make phone calls. Also, the audio quality is drastically reduced when doing this. This mode is meant to get you through until you can charge the headphones. Bose does sell an additional cable, one with a built-in remote and microphone. I think it's $30 and advertised as an accessory for the QC25's but it will work with the QC35's. You'll be able to make phone calls and control media playback with the cable when the headphones are drained.
That QC-25 cable is for Apple devices, which would present a problem with Android, etc.so the poster should be careful. Also it has a TRRS plug at the headphone end which might or might not cause a problem with the QC35 which has a TRS receptacle. I looked at this in the past, since I don't have an iPhone it ended there.
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products...pple-devices.html#v=qc25_audiocable_acc_black

Update:
I just took a peek, they have something for the QC-25 for Android. Though it still has a TRRS plug, which may or may not pose a problem.
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products...ices.html#v=qc25_audiocable_android_acc_black

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #967 of 1,152
That QC-25 cable is for Apple devices, which would present a problem with Android, etc.so the poster should be careful. Also it has a TRRS plug at the headphone end which might or might not cause a problem with the QC35 which has a TRS receptacle. I looked at this in the past, since I don't have an iPhone it ended there....

I was going to point out that Bose has an Android cable as well but you updated your post. The plug at the end doesn't matter. I can confirm that the in-line microphone still works on either cable with either phone. Additionally, the iPhone cable does have some functionality on Android devices. The microphone still works as does the multi-function middle button, the only buttons that won't work are the volume up and down. The microphone for either cord is powered by the phone, not the headphones so the TRS receptacle and TRRS plug won't matter.

May 31, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #968 of 1,152
I was going to point out that Bose has an Android cable as well but you updated your post. The plug at the end doesn't matter. I can confirm that the in-line microphone still works on either cable with either phone. Additionally, the iPhone cable does have some functionality on Android devices. The microphone still works as does the multi-function middle button, the only buttons that won't work are the volume up and down. The microphone for either cord is powered by the phone, not the headphones so the TRS receptacle and TRRS plug won't matter.
Actually the mike in the cord is passive and does not require power. In the case of the iPhone cable, the middle button may not work on all non Apple devices as some require specific values of resistance in the cable for that switch. In any case they offer two different cables so either camp is covered. Sometimes TRRS does matter because that extra ring gets shorted to ground and depending on the wiring and device something might get grounded that shouldn't be grounded. Some luck of the draw might come into play.

May 31, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #969 of 1,152
Actually the mike in the cord is passive and does not require power. In the case of the iPhone cable, the middle button may not work on all non Apple devices as some require specific values of resistance in the cable for that switch. In any case they offer two different cables so either camp is covered. Sometimes TRRS does matter because that extra ring gets shorted to ground and depending on the wiring and device something might get grounded that shouldn't be grounded. Some luck of the draw might come into play.

My point is that the microphone works for both platforms regardless of the TRRS plug (unless I and everyone I know has been lucky over the last 7 years). Additionally, I have yet to come across an Android device that did not work with the microphone and/or multi-function button on iPhone specific cables/headphones. My old Moto X, current Moto Z, S5, Note Edge, Note 6, S7 Edge, LG G6, and even a Lumia phone running Windows mobile all had some functionality with iPhone specific cables/headphones from Bose, Sony, B&O, V-Moda, and even Apple and Beats (again, unless I and everyone I know has been lucky over the last 7 years).

May 31, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #970 of 1,152
My point is that the microphone works for both platforms regardless of the TRRS plug (unless I and everyone I know has been lucky over the last 7 years). Additionally, I have yet to come across an Android device that did not work with the microphone and/or multi-function button on iPhone specific cables/headphones. My old Moto X, current Moto Z, S5, Note Edge, Note 6, S7 Edge, LG G6, and even a Lumia phone running Windows mobile all had some functionality with iPhone specific cables/headphones from Bose, Sony, B&O, V-Moda, and even Apple and Beats (again, unless I and everyone I know has been lucky over the last 7 years).
I've had iPhone cables not work correctly in non apple devices where the switch did not function properly and the microphone was noisy so the luck of the draw can come into play. I haven't bothered with an Apple cable in years, I believe the Senn Momentum and Bose QC15 may have been the case with a Samsung S3. Again, for accuracy, the mic might work but it does not require power from the attached device. One can always try the cable and see if it works.

Jun 1, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #971 of 1,152
Looks like Bose is selling out on it's customers according to this class action complaint by Kyle Zak.:

Apparently Bose is "...secretly collecting, transmitting, and disclosing its customers’ private music and audio selections to third parties, including a data mining company." As if Bose cannot make enough money by making and selling audio products based on merit, it needs stoop down to the lowest level by hiding behind it's app in order to sell customers' private information. Good one Bose!:triportsad:

BTW, I've removed the app from all mobile devices as it's serving no purpose other than collecting personal information about me and selling it to 3rd parties.:astonished:

If you're in the states and find Bose corporate behavior to be offensive, welcome to join the class action suite brought on by Klye Zak.

Jun 1, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #973 of 1,152
^ Well somebody's liar. It's either Bose or Mr. Kyle Zak.

Both parties can't be saying their right on this issue.

Jun 2, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #974 of 1,152
^ Well somebody's liar. It's either Bose or Mr. Kyle Zak.

Both parties can't be saying their right on this issue.
Read Bose's statement in the link I provided and check their license agreement for their app. One could say that they are playing with words. Time will tell. For now, I uninstalled the app.

Jun 2, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #975 of 1,152
Read Bose's statement in the link I provided and check their license agreement for their app. One could say that they are playing with words. Time will tell. For now, I uninstalled the app.

This is what Bose said in their statement in the NYP: "...In the Bose Connect App, we don’t wiretap your communications, we don’t sell your information, and we don’t use anything we collect to identify you — or anyone else — by name."

This is what Kyle Zak is saying in the class action complaint against Bose: ".....secretly collecting, transmitting, and disclosing its customers’ private music and audio selections to third parties, including a data mining company."

So if Bose is playing with words, the onus is on Bose to prove they are not the liar. I.e. What Kyle Zak is complaining about is true.

I have also removed the Bose connect app from all my mobile devices. Prior to that, I did test to see if the Bose connect app was able to read what tunes were playing and confirm that it does know this information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back