Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Mar 25, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #931 of 1,152
  Goto http://btu.bose.com/
Connect the QC35
Type a d v ↑ ↓  (The last two are up arrow and down arrow)
You will see a drop down menu and will be able to select 1.0.6. and continue.

Once upgraded to 1.2.9 or 1.2.10 the ANC is ruined and downgrading doesn't solve it.

I've upgraded to 1.2.10 and for my QC35's its ANC works perfectly fine. So this is not an absolute.

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #933 of 1,152

Upgrading may not spoil everyones headphones, but the ones that have reduced ANC after upgrade don't get fixed with the downgrade. 

I understand that and feel for you, however, you stated it as if all QC35's were screwy. You said, "Once upgraded to 1.2.9 or 1.2.10 the ANC is ruined and downgrading doesn't solve it." I hope Bose can figure out what is happening and get it straight for those less fortunate so they can enjoy an  otherwise excellent pair of headphones.

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #935 of 1,152
My GF got a pair of these last week, and her FW is the latest. Mine is still 1.0.6.
I wore her's to work today, same route through central london that I always do. In no way did i find the ANC any different to mine. Its hard to tell if the acutaul audio quality is any different, I'm out by main roads after all so cant really judge it, but i didnt hear any more traffic noise than i normally do.
Maybe there is a difference, but its not noticeable. I'm not going to update mine just yet, but i dont have all the issues some have.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #936 of 1,152
Hello everyone. I just got a pair of the QC35s to use with my iPhone and MacBook Pro.

1. Can I tinker with equalizer settings to improve the sound quality? If yes, is there a recommended app for this purpose?

2. My MacBook doesn't detect the headphones despite pairing being turned on on both devices. Please advise on how I can get it to pair with the laptop.

Thank you.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #937 of 1,152
  I understand that and feel for you, however, you stated it as if all QC35's were screwy. You said, "Once upgraded to 1.2.9 or 1.2.10 the ANC is ruined and downgrading doesn't solve it." I hope Bose can figure out what is happening and get it straight for those less fortunate so they can enjoy an  otherwise excellent pair of headphones.

Well just to clarify things, i said that to the person asking for instructions for downgrade, i assume that anyone wanting to go back to 1.06 is hoping for their ANC to be fixed.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #938 of 1,152
Hello everyone. I just got a pair of the QC35s to use with my iPhone and MacBook Pro.

1. Can I tinker with equalizer settings to improve the sound quality? If yes, is there a recommended app for this purpose?

2. My MacBook doesn't detect the headphones despite pairing being turned on on both devices. Please advise on how I can get it to pair with the laptop.

Thank you.

I don't think there is an inbuilt equalizer in the Mac or the iPhone. 
What do you find missing in the sound ?

You need to flick the power switch of the QC35 to the right and keep holding until you hear this "Ready to paid another device"
Once you hear that your MacBook Pro should detect it.

Let me know, i'm using the same 2 devices as yours.

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #939 of 1,152

I was wondering the same thing as well with my macbook. I found an app called Boom 2 on the app store but it costs $14.99

I haven't purchased it though - let me know if you've come across a free version of something similar that you'd recommend :)

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #940 of 1,152
I demo'd these at Best Buy and Target (ended up at both stores and they both had demos aha) and came away impressed with the sound. It has a nice balance to it, and great separation -- I could clearly hear the distinction between instruments in Ed Sheeran's "Castle on the Hill." They're not perfect but surprisingly good coupled with the Bose NC that sounds like an isolated sound booth.

All the consumer headphone brands are starting to sound genuinely good!

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #941 of 1,152
I demo'd these at Best Buy and Target (ended up at both stores and they both had demos aha) and came away impressed with the sound. It has a nice balance to it, and great separation -- I could clearly hear the distinction between instruments in Ed Sheeran's "Castle on the Hill." They're not perfect but surprisingly good coupled with the Bose NC that sounds like an isolated sound booth.

All the consumer headphone brands are starting to sound genuinely good!
Have you heard the Sony MDR-1000X? I'm curious as to which one you prefer.

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #942 of 1,152
Have you heard the Sony MDR-1000X? I'm curious as to which one you prefer.

I was able to demo the MDR-1000X in Best Buy as well and it seems like a stellar headphone. Noise cancelling might be even better on the Sony but both have better NC than my Momentum 2.0 Wireless. Unfortunately I wasn't able to pair my iPhone to their demo so I can't say one way or the other as the songs they had available to demo were limited. The QC35 sounded very good bordering on great though, better than the Bluetooth on the Momentum with my iPhone though that's because they support AAC. There are no real faults with the sound of either headphone. I'm also curious which is better and may try to have an extended demo though I quite liked both.

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #943 of 1,152
I've gotta say after trying both I'm a lot more interested but I think the QC35 might sound better. There should be new releases from Bose and Sony during the summer though...

As with Beats, I never thought I'd consider Bose.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #944 of 1,152
I've gotta say after trying both I'm a lot more interested but I think the QC35 might sound better. There should be new releases from Bose and Sony during the summer though...

As with Beats, I never thought I'd consider Bose.

They probably aren't going to come out with new over-the-ear QC headphones soon.  Bose was forced to rush their wireless update to the QC25's as smartphones manufacturers and Apple had started nixing the 3.5mm jack on their products.  Bose typically waits 4-6 years before coming out with a new, updated QC over-the-ear headphone.  The QC2's came out in 2003 and 2005 (the second version fixed an issue with the first), they released the QC15's in 2009, the QC25's in 2014, and the QC35's in the summer of 2016.  We probably aren't going to see a proper followup to the QC35's until ~2020, at the earliest.  It's still too early for Bose to release the followup to the QC25's but their hand was forced.

They could very well break their previous track record again and come out with an update but, historically speaking, they wait a longer time between major headphone updates.  It also looks like they're going to focus on coming out with a Bluetooth speaker this spring.  They're releasing two Bluetooth speakers with 360 degree audio, one is about the size of an Amazon Echo unit while the other is larger and more conical shaped.  They've needed to update the SoundLink III, that thing was pretty much obsolete and outperformed before it even hit the market.

May 25, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #945 of 1,152
Guys picking up my hifi gear in a few weeks (used marantz amp etc). Being a little long in the tooth not sure how i would connect the QC35's to the amp? (ps listened to them and they were fantastic imo.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back