Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Mar 3, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #886 of 1,152
Having tried all the models in the newest Bose line-up, I don't think there are any differences in ergonomics between the cans. The headband padding should be exactly the same as are the earpads and cups. That is, if you meant the SoundLink II headphones and not the older model called AE2.

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #887 of 1,152
I'm talking about these: https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/over_ear_headphones/soundlink-around-ear-wireless-headphones-ii.html#v=soundlink_ae_headphones_ii_black
So you're saying there's no difference between them, like the cups etc. are identical (same materials etc.)? I would expect them to be at least a little better given their name ("Comfort") and use cases (long multi hour flights). I remember sweating a lot when wearing the Soundlinks. Is this also true for QC35?

One other thing about the Android / iOS app.
Since they're ANC even when they're not connected or not listening to music, then if I take a listening break for an hour and take them off, they will still cancel noise and consume battery. I read that they enter standby after a while. Is this true? And you can customize the timeout in the app.
But I also read that when you enter the Bose app and the headphones are connected, it automatically does a firmware update. This is very problematic given the latest firmware bugs. Can you disable auto update and still use the app to configure other stuff?

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #888 of 1,152
  I'm talking about these: https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/over_ear_headphones/soundlink-around-ear-wireless-headphones-ii.html#v=soundlink_ae_headphones_ii_black
So you're saying there's no difference between them, like the cups etc. are identical (same materials etc.)? I would expect them to be at least a little better given their name ("Comfort") and use cases (long multi hour flights). I remember sweating a lot when wearing the Soundlinks. Is this also true for QC35?

QC35 has the same pleather pads with fairly tiny cups, so your ears will not breathe a lot while wearing them. I tend to become increasingly irritated after a couple of hours, but even short breaks are enough to recover.

Originally Posted by nickwhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since they're ANC even when they're not connected or not listening to music, then if I take a listening break for an hour and take them off, they will still cancel noise and consume battery.

You should naturally switch them off if you don't use them. It only takes a flick of a switch. The auto stand-by feature is there but you will still have to flick the same switch to make them wake up.

But I also read that when you enter the Bose app and the headphones are connected, it automatically does a firmware update. This is very problematic given the latest firmware bugs. Can you disable auto update and still use the app to configure other stuff?

There is no way to disable the update feature but it isn't automatic, that would be dumb, since you might be using them – obviously – when they're connected. Although the app will automatically download the update (on your phone), it will still wait for you to accept the procedure. So far I haven't come across any bugs but also I was perfectly happy with the 1.0.0 firmware.

You don't really need the app for anything aside installing firmware updates, so you might aswell opt to not installing it. There's not much to configure with the Boses. Only options are toggling voice notifications and changing the stand by time. You can also manage paired devices and stream the music to another pair of Boses, should you travel with a friend.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #890 of 1,152
  Is there a difference in comfort between the QC35 and the Soundlink AE2? How about when compared to Sony MDR-ZX770BN?

As previously stated, I think the QC35's are a bit more comfortable than the SL AE2 headphones.  I think the QC35's are heavier but they have more padding in the headband.  I have only ever used the Sony's in the store and they felt fine but their headband didn't have any padding (or it was such a small amount that I didn't notice, like the Beats line of headphones).

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #891 of 1,152
  QC35 has the same pleather pads with fairly tiny cups, so your ears will not breathe a lot while wearing them. I tend to become increasingly irritated after a couple of hours, but even short breaks are enough to recover.

You should naturally switch them off if you don't use them. It only takes a flick of a switch. The auto stand-by feature is there but you will still have to flick the same switch to make them wake up.

There is no way to disable the update feature but it isn't automatic, that would be dumb, since you might be using them – obviously – when they're connected. Although the app will automatically download the update (on your phone), it will still wait for you to accept the procedure. So far I haven't come across any bugs but also I was perfectly happy with the 1.0.0 firmware.

You don't really need the app for anything aside installing firmware updates, so you might aswell opt to not installing it. There's not much to configure with the Boses. Only options are toggling voice notifications and changing the stand by time. You can also manage paired devices and stream the music to another pair of Boses, should you travel with a friend.

On the note re: battery wastage. If you've access to the Bose Connect app (i.e., haven't been so frustrated by it you've thrown your handset at the wall), then you can adjust the "auto off" timer by pressing the cog for settings on the main screen. 

You can select 5, 20, or 40 minutes, and 1, or 3, hours. 

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #892 of 1,152
  QC35 has the same pleather pads with fairly tiny cups, so your ears will not breathe a lot while wearing them. I tend to become increasingly irritated after a couple of hours, but even short breaks are enough to recover..

I'm wondering if Bose will ever offer owners the opportunity to swap the pleather pads for something that's a little bit more breathable and less prone to heat build up around the ears. I.e. Alcantara pads. Not sure if the DSP has to be re-tuned.

Living in a semi-tropical climate, the heat/sweat build-up around the ears is very noticeable and the only thing that bothers me about the QC35. Like you, the only way to have some relief is to take off the headphones and let the ears cool down / breathe. 

For those living in colder climates, I can imagine the QC35 being a nice substitute for ear muffins.

The noise canceling feature of the QC35 is very good and the main reason for getting these pair of cans.  

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #893 of 1,152
  I'm wondering if Bose will ever offer owners the opportunity to swap the pleather pads for something that's a little bit more breathable and less prone to heat build up around the ears. I.e. Alcantara pads. Not sure if the DSP has to be re-tuned.

I doubt it.  They didn't offer different pads for the over-the-ear TriPorts, SoundLink AE, SL AEw, SL AEII, QC, QC2, QC15, or QC25 headphones.  They will sell replacement pleather earpads but Bose has never come out with alternative options.  There are 3rd parties that have released their own earpads but, from the ones I found, they are just replicas of what Bose releases.  It would be a good idea though.  I would also like to see them do something like what V-Moda does for their Crossfade headphones: make thicker earpads.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #894 of 1,152
  Does their passive & active noise cancellation have a considerable effect against the thumping and vibrations of a subwoofer - for example a parked car stereo booming or a noisy neighbour?

Did anyone have any experiences with this, or can test it?
Since the noise I want to isolate myself from is occasional, I only had a little chance to test the current headphones (the Sony 770) with ANC. It definitely made some difference, but they're not the best in NC, so I don't know how the Bose hold up to this scenario.

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #896 of 1,152
I use Bose QC25's (ANC same as QC35) and have some nob's in neighborhood with those window shaking subs in their cars, the stereotypical dropped Honda (or similar vehicle) and fat exhaust look that let the world know (that besides ruining their hearing prematurely) driver is clueless moron. The Bose QC25's did squat to ameliorate that kind of sound as it penetrates to the depth of your soul, ANC or not. That said the QC25/35's ANC is as good as it gets for over ear ANC consumer headphones. Noise rant continues: I live near a store that sells/rents O2 canisters that elderly/people with breathing issues use. When the flat bed truck comes once a week to deliver all those different sizes O2 tanks, the off-loading and loading of those tanks is a irritant like no other (OK, the thumping sub morons and yapping small dogs are up there too for mind numbing irritants). Wish you all chould get a chance to hear the high pitched ringing of those O2 tanks. Nothing outside total deafness can protect you from that. That and the yapping of all the little dogs that are so popular these days as the ladies fashion accessory to apartment dwellers discomfort and perhaps to homeowners unfortunate enough to have next door neighbors with those little dogs that yap and yip around the clock until the owners return home to cushy-coo their little noise makers. I could go on about noise intrusion into our rapidly growing noiser-all-the-time world, but best stop, albeit with one final heads-up for the younger crowd - most of you not so bothered by these noises now will be when you get older. It comes with age with few exceptions. This ex-social worker knows all to well what awaits many of you. Start saving now for a large lot to put your future home on to put space between you and everyone else. You'll thank me decades from now.

FYI, as a previous owner of both the 25 and the 35, It is my opinion that the ANC is not the same between the two and that the 35 has better ANC.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #898 of 1,152
Honestly, I've not noticed a difference in 1.0.6 and 1.2.10 in ANC.

I don't necessarily think that the 1.2.9 update affected everyone with a QC35, just a select population.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #900 of 1,152
Honestly, I've not noticed a difference in 1.0.6 and 1.2.10 in ANC.

I don't necessarily think that the 1.2.9 update affected everyone with a QC35, just a select population.

Sometimes ANC seems to block most sounds and sometimes not all that much, but I don't refer to different firmware version here, just that my perception of sound isolation is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back