Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Mar 10, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #901 of 1,152
Is anyone else having this issue:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/Bose-Quietcomfort-35-wireless-headphones-disconnect-from-MacBook/m-p/33947#M954

I am and its really annoying.

My new iPhone 7 Plus holds a nice strong connection, as did my aged iPhone 5 and iPhone 5c. BUT for some reason, my MacBook Air running macOS Sierra is unable to hold a connection for longer than 3-5 seconds. Also the voice prompts have stopped calling my MacBook Air by its name, and instead using some strange number and then generic USB... What?

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #902 of 1,152

I posted on the Bose forum.... DO NOT update the firmware from 1.0.6 - I exchanged mine with Bose because the update was terrible. Got a new set w/1.0.6 from factory and HAPPY!!!

My problem has taken a few more turns... I was at 1.06 with my QC35 sounding hollow/distant. The headphones controlled my Mac and iPhone volume. Sometimes, very rarely they get their own internal volume and at that time i can change the QC35 volume and the Mac/iPhone volume separately and they sound amazing in that more.
Then 1.29 came, i updated and found no change in the sound or how the volume control worked, but the ANC reduced (Like many have said.)
I went back to 1.06 by downgrading from the Bose with no change in ANC (It was still less like 1.2.9), no change in distant sound and volume control was synced and not independent.
Then came 1.2.10 which was awful for me, same bad ANC, and voice cutting in calls and wierd glitchy sounds during youtube/ itunes.
Again downgraded to 1.06 and the volume became independent permanently, i could change the QC35 internal volume (24 Steps) and the Mac Volume (16 Steps) and they were not linked.
When i kept the QC35 volume really low and the Mac volume high, is when they sounded hollow/distant, but when i increased the QC35 volume and kept mac volume even at a lower volume the problem was gone.
This worked perfectly and worked well for 3 full charge cycles, about 15-20 days.
I charged it as usual when battery was 10%, and when i used them again, they were back to the "one volume" mode.

I have tried updating and downgrading but have failed to reach that state.

I am quite sure that when the volumes are synced, the QC35 internal volume is fixed at maybe 8-10 steps (out of 24) and then only Mac has the volume control.

The full volume in the synced volume mode is not loud enough.

The full volume (both Mac and QC35 MAXED) in the independent mode is really really loud.

Has this happened to anyone else??

This is so frustrating.

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #903 of 1,152
  My problem has taken a few more turns... I was at 1.06 with my QC35 sounding hollow/distant. The headphones controlled my Mac and iPhone volume. Sometimes, very rarely they get their own internal volume and at that time i can change the QC35 volume and the Mac/iPhone volume separately and they sound amazing in that more.
Then 1.29 came, i updated and found no change in the sound or how the volume control worked, but the ANC reduced (Like many have said.)
I went back to 1.06 by downgrading from the Bose with no change in ANC (It was still less like 1.2.9), no change in distant sound and volume control was synced and not independent.
Then came 1.2.10 which was awful for me, same bad ANC, and voice cutting in calls and wierd glitchy sounds during youtube/ itunes.
Again downgraded to 1.06 and the volume became independent permanently, i could change the QC35 internal volume (24 Steps) and the Mac Volume (16 Steps) and they were not linked.
When i kept the QC35 volume really low and the Mac volume high, is when they sounded hollow/distant, but when i increased the QC35 volume and kept mac volume even at a lower volume the problem was gone.
This worked perfectly and worked well for 3 full charge cycles, about 15-20 days.
I charged it as usual when battery was 10%, and when i used them again, they were back to the "one volume" mode.

I have tried updating and downgrading but have failed to reach that state.

I am quite sure that when the volumes are synced, the QC35 internal volume is fixed at maybe 8-10 steps (out of 24) and then only Mac has the volume control.

The full volume in the synced volume mode is not loud enough.

The full volume (both Mac and QC35 MAXED) in the independent mode is really really loud.

Has this happened to anyone else??

This is so frustrating.

No and the reason (for me) is I have not updated my firmware since getting them replaced. 1.06 is what the replacement came with and it will stay that way. Over at Bose they have requested 20 or so users send them their bad sets for an autopsy

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #904 of 1,152

No and the reason (for me) is I have not updated my firmware since getting them replaced. 1.06 is what the replacement came with and it will stay that way. Over at Bose they have requested 20 or so users send them their bad sets for an autopsy

Yes i've joined the Bose community as well and i'm following it.
Do you use your QC35 with a Mac? If yes, how does your volume work?  

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #905 of 1,152
I was lucky enough to find both QC35 and Soundlink AE2 exposed in a store, so I got a chance to test them.
They seemed identical in respect to comfort: same ear pads, same head band, same clamping force. The QC35s are definitely heavier.
I also noticed that the passive noise isolation is pretty much identical, at least for the sounds that were in the store. I couldn't test the active noise cancellation because they couldn't be turned on (faulty power switch? it seemed squishy...).

I wanted the headphones to help reduce noise such as bass thumping and voices / TV, both for which ANC doesn't seem to help so much, as far as I read and tried.
Given this, the identical comfort, the battery overhead (especially when idling) and the buggy firmwares, I chose to buy the Soundlink.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #906 of 1,152
  I was lucky enough to find both QC35 and Soundlink AE2 exposed in a store, so I got a chance to test them.
They seemed identical in respect to comfort: same ear pads, same head band, same clamping force. The QC35s are definitely heavier.
I also noticed that the passive noise isolation is pretty much identical, at least for the sounds that were in the store. I couldn't test the active noise cancellation because they couldn't be turned on (faulty power switch? it seemed squishy...).

Back here there is the standard Bose stand on display in about every electric store. One pair each: wired ANC, wireless ANC and wireless non-ANC. They just aren't always powered up so batteries might die. You probably know by now that the power switch is supposed to be 'squishy' as it is a multi-purpose button. By default it sits in the middle and you can activate pairing mode by pushing it to the furthest position.

The devices on display at my shop (from where I bought my cans) had a bit age in them, so I noticed that the vertical power switch in the SoundLink II cans could pose a problem: sometimes it fell a tiny bit down and the cans were powered off. QC35 has a horizontal power switch so it won't probably have the same issue. I suppose this is an intentional weak spot in Bose's design, hard to justify otherwise.

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #908 of 1,152

Nope - I use my AirPods for Mac and iPhone. QC35s just for my iphone 

Please do me a favour, connect the QC35 to both the Mac and your iPhone and then play something on the Mac (YouTube/ iTunes) and control the volume from the headphone then see if the QC35 beeps on every increase and longs beeps on full being independent from (and not controlling) the Mac Volume.
Or it controls the Mac Volume and there is only one long beep at max volume.

Also, tell me if you feel that the sound is a bit distant/ muffled / indirect at lower volumes?
And what volume percentage would you consider loud enough with the Mac.

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #910 of 1,152
  Of course the headphones will sound bad with low volume setting. The dynamic EQ will probably be confused and it will also mis-amplify the sound because it is trying to output minimal power.

I need to turn the Mac volume about 13-14 out of 16 steps to get a non distant volume, it sound good only at this high volume.
However in the other mode when my QC35 has its internal volume, i set it at about half, and then even a 5-6 out of 16 step volume in the Mac does not sound bad at all.
I am just trying to find a way to go back to that state but its not happening !!

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #911 of 1,152
  Please do me a favour, connect the QC35 to both the Mac and your iPhone and then play something on the Mac (YouTube/ iTunes) and control the volume from the headphone then see if the QC35 beeps on every increase and longs beeps on full being independent from (and not controlling) the Mac Volume.
Or it controls the Mac Volume and there is only one long beep at max volume.

Also, tell me if you feel that the sound is a bit distant/ muffled / indirect at lower volumes?
And what volume percentage would you consider loud enough with the Mac.

Sorry, I like how they sound and will not jeopardize by doing other connections. I spent way too many hours to convenience Bose there was a problem. Hope you find your answer.

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #912 of 1,152

Sorry, I like how they sound and will not jeopardize by doing other connections. I spent way too many hours to convenience Bose there was a problem. Hope you find your answer.

You're already using then with your iPhone, you think connecting them to the Mac will jeopardize things? 
Can you tell me how the volume works with the iPhone ? synced with the phone or QC35 has its internal volume?
Mine behave the same with iPhone and Mac, when its synced, its synced to both, when its separate its separate for both.

I have a video of mine having independent volume, and thats when they are loud and they sound good. But i'm unable to get back to that mode.

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #913 of 1,152
  You're already using then with your iPhone, you think connecting them to the Mac will jeopardize things? 
Can you tell me how the volume works with the iPhone ? synced with the phone or QC35 has its internal volume?
Mine behave the same with iPhone and Mac, when its synced, its synced to both, when its separate its separate for both.

I have a video of mine having independent volume, and thats when they are loud and they sound good. But i'm unable to get back to that mode.

When I use the volume keys on the headset they control the iPhone volume. Always has

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #914 of 1,152
Has anyone tried walking outdoors with the QC35 , the weather turns bad and starts drizzling? Basic question is how much water resistance does the QC35 have?

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #915 of 1,152
Has anyone tried walking outdoors with the QC35 , the weather turns bad and starts drizzling? Basic question is how much water resistance does the QC35 have?

I wouldn't, but I don't know the answer to your question.

I usually just put my hood up until I find shelter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back