Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Oct 7, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #526 of 1,152
I'm in the camp that actually likes the QC35 sound too. It's not as nice as my best headphones, and resists equalization and a bunch of other things that keep it well out of audiophile status, but as a set of "fun" headphones I think they sound very good. And compared to Bose's older stuff--including my QC20s--they sound fantastic.

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #527 of 1,152
This is what makes decisions so hard - so many conflicting reports ... if we ignore the potential variation in each production run:

Testing SQ, ANC, BT drop-outs
For me they can't be tested anywhere except where you're going to use them with the source you're going to be using.  On the basis of the innerfidelity review and my own in-store ear I bought the QC35s ... but when I used them at home over the course of a few hours with the content I typically listen to ... they didn't perform that great.

Of course I live downtown in a major metro on an approach to an international airport - so I have a lot of background noise, and EMF,  to play with - in that scenario the 35s were just ok.  I'd pay $150 for their abilities, but not $350.

The P7s, on the other hand, sound and feel $400 good to me in that environment, but in the store I selected the QC35s over them .... so all of our mileage is going to vary.  

Why are the Sony's taking so long to release in the US???

Oct 8, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #530 of 1,152
Well, I dunno, I'm somewhat confused by reading all over the Internet how poor the SQ of Bose stuff is in general including the QC35's - having tested the QC35's and compared them directly with the so-called amazing B&W P7's and the B&O H6 and the Sennheiser PCX550's the bottom line *for me* is that the bass/sub bass on the QC35's leaves all the rest in the dust. 
With the right sort of music and a good quality recording the QC35's are downright stunning as far as low end. It is felt and is heard and is very articulate, far more so than the others I have listened to.
I'm sort of angry with Bose as I know they have purposely emphasised the extremes of the frequency band - as I guess they always have to some extent with their hi-fi speakers (901's and that mysterious equaliser box) for decades but now I have experienced the QC35's there is nothing so far that comes close as far as low end reproduction - IMHO...
I'm sure that most headsets on the market have a much more linear frequency response than the boosted one that the QC35's have but boy they are all so boring after listening to my music on *any* of them directly after hearing it on the 35's.
So, I am very sorry to see/hear that I am pretty much the only one who actually likes using my QC35's when NOT flying! :) The ANC is brilliant at home too when I want some peace and quiet and to focus on nothing other than music.
BUT! I see that I'm not quiet the 'only one' - here's a review that also speaks good of the QC35's, especially of the bass:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/outstanding-bose-quiet-comfort-35-wireless-noise-canceling-headphone#x5iVT6VQQ4bTYkPs.97

Also, like me, he does find the upper end of the audio band a bit 'uncomfortable' at times - that's my main complaint with the QC35 - they are very unforgiving with poorly recorded stuff where they can make the top-end sound very gritty/steely.
Stay away from that type of recording and they sound mesmerising...

You aren't the only one my friend :wink: I love my set of headphones and whilst I'm no expert, they work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #531 of 1,152
Quick feedback on these, just got them about an hour ago:

*sound-actually very decent. Actually a little better than decent. Pretty balanced and cohesive. Nothing glaringly out of place or unnatural. The tuning is similar to hd650 with a bit more treble. Not nearly as good as the 650 but more on par with the ma900 in terms of overall performance. Impressive for a closed headphone. If these get any better sonically with break in, I'll be truly impressed. If not I'm still happy with the sound. 

*funtion-paired quickly with my HTC phone and no drop outs in first hour. The ANC is STELLAR!!! Just wow...

*comfort-very good. They have a little weight to them but 9.5/10 on comfort. My only complaint is that they get a little toast inside the cups on a warm day. 

So far, I love these. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #533 of 1,152
  Not my QC35's - the BT is excellent - they stay connected for almost the whole length of our long skinny house

I think it depends on your EMF environment and the materials / water pipes around.  I live in a downtown apartment and the QC35s clipped 15' away, and occasionally randomly clipped, while my Bose OE Soundlinks were/are fine.

My new P7s never randomly clip and get slightly better range than the QC35s but not much.  Makes me wonder if the codec and/or something about the ANC diminishes the BT performance range.

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #535 of 1,152
I'm also a big fan of the QC35's in non-flying environments.  My collection of over / on / and in ear 'phones is such that I need to have places to hide them from the wife or she would go nuts that I spend so much and have so many (I have a good shoes counter argument but it would prove a gamble to try it!) ...

Currently, my 'goto' 'phones are RHA T20's when IEMs required, Sennheiser Momentum's for home vinyl listening and the QC35's when at work. 

For mobile listening, source is a Pioneer XDP-100R with mainly 16-bit alac files (some 24 bit flac).

Maybe its my years of being in loud gigs but to me, the QC35s in BT mode are as good as the RHAs or Momentums in wired and therefore are my 'goto' set at the moment.

I have played around with wired (using a custom cable I had made up for my old QC25s) v BT modes and although the difference is there (some 24 bit flac on a Pioneer XDP-100R remember!) its not enough to offset the convenience of BT.

I considered buying the Momemtum (AE) wireless before the Bose but never got round to trying them out ... I'll wait til the next gen and shop around again ... need more stuff to hide from the wife :)   

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #536 of 1,152
BT implementation has been rock solid for me, FWIW. My only other BT headset are a pair of Jaybird Xs which had such severe connection issues I eventually shelved them. The 35s are heaven, in comparison. 

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #537 of 1,152
You might already know, but Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and microwave ovens all operate at about 2.4GHz.  Microwave ovens work because they hit the water molecules and vibrate them, i.e., water does a great job of absorbing 2.4GHz energy.  If your Jaybirds were cutting out, the #1 culprit is therefore probably your body, which is full of bluetooth blocking water.  The newer protocols do a better job but if your jaybirds weren't in line of site with your phone, that was probably the issue.  Larger OE headphones have larger and higher antennae which can cover more/less 360 degrees, but your Jaybirds and pretty much any smaller bluetooth device doesn't.

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #538 of 1,152
  You might already know, but Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and microwave ovens all operate at about 2.4GHz.  Microwave ovens work because they hit the water molecules and vibrate them, i.e., water does a great job of absorbing 2.4GHz energy.  If your Jaybirds were cutting out, the #1 culprit is therefore probably your body, which is full of bluetooth blocking water.  The newer protocols do a better job but if your jaybirds weren't in line of site with your phone, that was probably the issue.  Larger OE headphones have larger and higher antennae which can cover more/less 360 degrees, but your Jaybirds and pretty much any smaller bluetooth device doesn't.

I thought this would be the case but what I found was that the Bose QC35 was worse than the JLab Epic 2 (which more than likely has smaller antennae). 

They cut out less than 4-5m away with some thin walls in between with a Macbook Pro as the source. 

The sound quality for the Bose is not great. Looking at the Sony MDR-1000X when they finally come to Australia but that price premium over the QC35s seems excessive. 

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #539 of 1,152

I thought this would be the case but what I found was that the Bose QC35 was worse than the JLab Epic 2 (which more than likely has smaller antennae). 

They cut out less than 4-5m away with some thin walls in between with a Macbook Pro as the source. 

The sound quality for the Bose is not great. Looking at the Sony MDR-1000X when they finally come to Australia but that price premium over the QC35s seems excessive. 

Had the same experience on the SoundLinks before the QC30s released. Bose doesn't play well with any apple devices

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #540 of 1,152
I'm actually somewhat disappointed by the performance of the QC35s on the plane.

I can still hear people chatting away.

I may be bringing back the set and try out the Sonys MDR-1000xs

Regarding the sound quality it's flat but acceptable.

My beef is the lack of filtering of voices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back