Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Jul 18, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #286 of 1,152
I'm really on the fence about these. I listened to a pair at a Bose store today and I thought I heard a little bit of a constant hiss between notes/songs.

This!!! This is what I fking experienced. It's so god dam annoying. You esp notice it at low volumes. I gave mine back. This time I'm thinking to buy it from online

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #287 of 1,152
Picked some up today for the misses. She is very noise sensitive (neighbours playing music loud with window wide open). So thought the QC35 would be best bet to reduce her stress!
I am no audiofile and have Sennheiser HD558, Grado SR60, Goldring NS1000 (NC), and my old trusty Sennheiser PX200 mk1s.
My first impressions are that the QC35 are so much better at mid freq noise cancelling that my NS1000. Bass is nice in the QC35. 
Overall very good at blocking the neighbours lovely taste in music and sonically they sound great to me. Pity they are the misses :)

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #290 of 1,152
Anyone who owns CIEM care to compare with QC35 NC how they fare on noise reduction on planes?

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #291 of 1,152
Anyone who owns CIEM care to compare with QC35 NC how they fare on noise reduction on planes?

It's hard to compare as the Bose removes some of the "standard" noise and leaves the rest "normal". CIEM's just reduce the overall sounds. However (based on personal experience with silicone CIEMs) - the CIEM makes it more quiet - but hard to compare as it's really two different things. When using my CIEMs on a plane I need to turn the volume up more than normal to cover the sound from the plane...

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #292 of 1,152
Only for voice ciems are better
For motorsound qc25 is better - qc35 is abolut the same as qc25

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #293 of 1,152
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/outstanding-bose-quiet-comfort-35-wireless-noise-canceling-headphone-page-2#5hmiRl8L7Fr5RDoy.97

Tyll's review on QC35... didn't watch the video, but written review has no comparisons with M2 though. Hope he'll update one with comparison to PXC-550 when it's out..

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #294 of 1,152
   I got the QC35. I also have the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2.0 (AEBT), already for about 8 months. 
I bought the QC35 because the AEBT put a painful pressure on my left ear after 1-2hrs of listening and because I the 2,5mm jack is recessed, which prevents me from using a 2,5 > 3,5mm adapter to plug a boom mic (V-Moda Boom Pro mic).

Subjective aesthetics and sound quality points aside, these are my observations when compared to the Sennheiser:

Pros:
- More comfortable
- Better noise cancelling, though not much better but I'll take all I can get. Test conditions: I have a school next to my office and have kids talking loud and screaming all day long. This gives an impression of performance with random human voices. I also have a fan to give an impression of constant noises (representative of an aircraft sound).
- Folds into more robust and compact case - I’m happier to carry the Bose around compared to the Sennheiser
- Ability to manage paired devices via the mobile app
- Compatible with 3rd party 2,5mm jacks, unlike the Sennheiser (unless you hack it, but still limited to hole's width)

Cons:
- Can't use NC while charging. The Sennheiser work while charging which is a big plus for me. Now the Bose will give me charge anxiety :frowning2:
- Passive wired performance not as good as active. You feel it immediately in the bass. The Sennheiser offer no shortcomings when used passively on wire.
- Noise floor noticeably higher when active. To me this is only a con because they make it more noticeable you’re wearing the headset when not playing music (useful when you just want to cancel outside noise). I have to pay attention in order to feel the little noise that the Sennheiser make when active (but not playing).
- The Bose noise cancelling make this weird air/sound pressure in your ears. The Sennheiser have none of that.

Can anyone else with both the momentum and qc35 chime in on this? I have the momentum AEBT, and i can hear the white noise in my quiet room when nothing is playing - which bugs me a little coming from IEMs.

I'm thinking of trying the qc35 because i thought its ANC is better and produces less hiss. But this is purely guessing from when i tried the QC 25 at a store a long time ago 

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #295 of 1,152

Can anyone else with both the momentum and qc35 chime in on this? I have the momentum AEBT, and i can hear the white noise in my quiet room when nothing is playing - which bugs me a little coming from IEMs.

I'm thinking of trying the qc35 because i thought its ANC is better and produces less hiss. But this is purely guessing from when i tried the QC 25 at a store a long time ago 

QC35 has noticeably more self-noise than the Momentum 2.0 Wireless, however, I wouldn't call the QC35's self-noise as excessive. But it's definitely more audible than the momentum's.

In terms of noise cancelling, QC35 outperforms the Momentum, mostly in the bass and mid ranges. The difference in the treble isolation is most likely negligible.

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #296 of 1,152

I recently got a set to use for air travel and have used them on two 9 hours flights and a few shorter legs so far.  Flying home tomorrow (9 hours from Johannesburg to Amsterdam, then 10 hours to San Francisco).  I won't exhaustively compare them to CIEMs since the ones I have are so old (Shure EC5 if memory serves, probably 10 years old) it would be meaningless since no on else has a pair.  But in terms of noise isolation there's no comparison, the QC35's give you a practically silent backdrop, just a tiny amount of fan-like noise remains.  They're pretty good just putting them on, so to some extent it's the cups themselves.  You can sit and listen to music on normal volume like you're use with an open headphone at home.

Here are some observations:
  1. Mine has a glitchy 2.5mm socket and it takes a bit of wiggling before it recognizes the plug is inserted; I will try a different cable and if the problem persists get a warranty repair
  2. If not properly inserted the sound becomes... weird.  Like vocals are suppressed
  3. You can't just turn them on and use them to block sound, but have to insert the cable.  Otherwise it will constantly keep telling you what the battery level is and that it failed to establish a BT connection to whatever it's paired with.
  4. I will create a dummy 2.5mm plug for this purpose.
  5. BT works well, no clicking and popping or lost connections like I've gotten with other headphones
  6. After 9.5 hours on wired use the battery level was reported as "90%".
  7. On the connecting flight I had a USB socket, so plugged them in when I got in my seat, and by the time we reached 10k ft and I could use them they were fully topped off.  Nice!
  8. The hard case is really nice and keeps them from getting warped in carry-on
  9. Sound-wise, they're very "boomy".  There's lots of bass, but it doesn't really add body to vocals or instruments or anything; just kinda goes thumpa-thumpa. Don't expect a hi-fi experience; if you do you will be greatly disappointed.  These aren't close to a good open-back headphone in absolute terms.
  10. But... they're not bad if you have reasonable expectations!  Sure beats the wazonkas of getting blasted with 90dB engine rumble for hours on end.  That by itself is very tiring and a large part of the fatigue factor of flying!
  11. You can't hear people with them on.  At all.  Not a big deal, just be aware or you might miss meal service or something.
  12. Because of their frequency response, they actually make in-plane entertainment including music playback perfectly acceptable.  Amazingly it's no longer an ear grater.
  13. The tight cups will get in the way of eyeglasses.  No big deal, it's just the arms will need to go above the cups and the glasses sit at a slight angle.

Basically, for flying I absolutely love them.  They're also great for computer gaming and other general wireless uses (I used them a bit for google hangout meetings at work).

I'd say these are definitely a nice tool to have on hand.  They do have some very nice uses they handle very well.

I don't currently have a commute very conducive to listening to music, so can't comment on that.

For general audio listening I have a collection of open-back headphones already that they just can't compete with... but in a pinch, sure I'd use them.

Jul 25, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #297 of 1,152
deleted I was going to mention Tyll write up someone already did. He likes them and has put them on his wall of fame.
YouTube video here.

https://youtu.be/7kAoDfAVO_8

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #298 of 1,152
>>You can't hear people with them on. At all. Not a big deal, just be aware or you might miss meal service or something.

Looks like there are 2 different types of qc35
With mine qc35, i can hesre voices clear and loud - same as qc25 and qc15 - i had all three and still have qc25 and qc35

Do you have a special qc35 edition which can eleminate human voices?

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #299 of 1,152
I picked these up a few days ago and have been fairly impressed with them. I bought them mainly for the ANC/wireless features and was less concerned about the audio quality. I would describe the sound as warm, bass heavy, not much extension up top. That said, my daily drivers are Fostex th900s so they are completely two different headphones for different budgets. You have to appreciate them for what they are ; Great wireless, noise canceling headphones that are not overly bass heavy for $350. 

side note: you can really notice the warm sound signature when listening to Sea Stories from Sturgill Simpson. 

eta: I can not hear human voices at all when something is playing. If they are silent I can hear people. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back