Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Jun 8, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #35 of 1,152
Just got these--battling a noisy office and need circumaurals or people tap my shoulder from behind.

For reference I've been primarily listening to MDR-1ABTs at home and Plantronics Backbeat Pros at work lately. My other go-tos are wired M&D MH40s and a handful of brands of IEMs. I had (but sent back--I felt the bluetooth stack was poor) V-Moda Crossfade Wireless as well.

First impressions:

* Sound is OK, on target or a little better than my QC20s in terms of soundstage and overall sound, QC20 has more bass with a good seal, but the IEM format tends to favor that. IME, Bose stuff doesn't really open up much with a break-in but if they stay like this forever I'll be alright. They don't sound as dynamic as either my Sonys or my BBPs but nothing sounds bad.

* Noise cancellation is excellent, no surprises there. For lower frequencies, my Backbeat Pros do OK, but for voice frequencies the Bose cancellation (on either set) is far better. With the BBPs it tends to lower all the masking noises in my office and leave the voices. Bose lowers everything.

* They're insanely comfortable, also no surprises there. This is one of the first sets of headphones I've worn in a long while with room for my dumbo ears to fit fully inside them. Coming from the shallow 1ABTs and the What-round BBPs these are heaven.

* I like this new trend of putting huge L/R inside the earcups. My BBPs do that too, and it's super-convenient. My Sonys get put on backwards more often than I'd like to admit.

Some downsides:

* They're heavy. They don't feel heavy on my head, fwiw, but they're 309g from what I can find, which puts them slightly heavier than my MDR-1ABTs, albeit lighter than my Backbeat Pros.

Notably, they're 30 or 40g heavier than the Parrot Zik 2s or 3s, which are probably about the only headphones that come close to Bose's reputation for versatile NC.

* They leak midrange/treble sound at what I would not consider a very loud volume. I guess the QC25s have that rep too, so I shouldn't have been surprised, but I hadn't researched that part.

I thought my MDR-1ABTs were leaky (why I replaced with a BBP for office use) but these are a bit worse. I'm really sound-sensitive, and so tend to be paranoid about leaking sound near co-workers, but I'm trying out a "screw it, they'll tell me if it's too awful" approach out of necessity. I don't want to give up this NC quality and comfort. Sucks that I have to, though--thought I remembered their older circumaurals not having a leakage issue.

* The earcups turn flat away from the body with the cup outwards when around your neck. I hate this--feels and looks really awkward.

* I don't particularly care for the monochrome black or (in my case) silver look. I feel like the QC25s have a better contrasting look than the QC35s. The flat color on these tends to emphasize the plastic.

To someone looking to try these out, there are no surprises if you're used to Bose stuff. The sound quality continues to get better and less DSP-sounding on each product they release, IMO, but it's definitely still the signature "Honda Accord of headphones" sound. The NC is fantastic and they're comfortable as hell. 

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #36 of 1,152
  Just got these--battling a noisy office and need circumaurals or people tap my shoulder from behind.

For reference I've been primarily listening to MDR-1ABTs at home and Plantronics Backbeat Pros at work lately. My other go-tos are wired M&D MH40s and a handful of brands of IEMs. I had (but sent back--I felt the bluetooth stack was poor) V-Moda Crossfade Wireless as well.

First impressions:

* Sound is OK, on target or a little better than my QC20s in terms of soundstage and overall sound, QC20 has more bass with a good seal, but the IEM format tends to favor that. IME, Bose stuff doesn't really open up much with a break-in but if they stay like this forever I'll be alright. They don't sound as dynamic as either my Sonys or my BBPs but nothing sounds bad.

* Noise cancellation is excellent, no surprises there. For lower frequencies, my Backbeat Pros do OK, but for voice frequencies the Bose cancellation (on either set) is far better. With the BBPs it tends to lower all the masking noises in my office and leave the voices. Bose lowers everything.

* They're insanely comfortable, also no surprises there. This is one of the first sets of headphones I've worn in a long while with room for my dumbo ears to fit fully inside them. Coming from the shallow 1ABTs and the What-round BBPs these are heaven.

* I like this new trend of putting huge L/R inside the earcups. My BBPs do that too, and it's super-convenient. My Sonys get put on backwards more often than I'd like to admit.

Some downsides:

* They're heavy. They don't feel heavy on my head, fwiw, but they're 309g from what I can find, which puts them slightly heavier than my MDR-1ABTs, albeit lighter than my Backbeat Pros.

Notably, they're 30 or 40g heavier than the Parrot Zik 2s or 3s, which are probably about the only headphones that come close to Bose's reputation for versatile NC.

* They leak midrange/treble sound at what I would not consider a very loud volume. I guess the QC25s have that rep too, so I shouldn't have been surprised, but I hadn't researched that part.

I thought my MDR-1ABTs were leaky (why I replaced with a BBP for office use) but these are a bit worse. I'm really sound-sensitive, and so tend to be paranoid about leaking sound near co-workers, but I'm trying out a "screw it, they'll tell me if it's too awful" approach out of necessity. I don't want to give up this NC quality and comfort. Sucks that I have to, though--thought I remembered their older circumaurals not having a leakage issue.

* The earcups turn flat away from the body with the cup outwards when around your neck. I hate this--feels and looks really awkward.

* I don't particularly care for the monochrome black or (in my case) silver look. I feel like the QC25s have a better contrasting look than the QC35s. The flat color on these tends to emphasize the plastic.

To someone looking to try these out, there are no surprises if you're used to Bose stuff. The sound quality continues to get better and less DSP-sounding on each product they release, IMO, but it's definitely still the signature "Honda Accord of headphones" sound. The NC is fantastic and they're comfortable as hell. 

Nice review. My experience with their QC25 and over-ear SoundLink II was they lacked any "guts or punch" in the midrange bass. Unless I cranked up the volume on my iPhone 6 they were a bit mediocre. Just my opinion. Sounds like the QC35s are in the same place as their wired ANC.

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #37 of 1,152

Have a late 2011 MBP

Good news and bad news. The QC35 pairs well with the MacBook and stays paired. But my 2011 iMac disconnects a few seconds after pairing. I tried it a few times and even cleared all devices but to no avail. I opened up a support ticket with Bose. 

FYI, I also purchased the new Soundsport Wireless and it has the same issue with the iMac but not the MacBook. 

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #38 of 1,152
I hope someone can compare the QC35 with Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless.

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #39 of 1,152
  I hope someone can compare the QC35 with Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless.

I have both, but haven't had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison.  My quick take is that the Sennheiser is the more accurate of the two if you're looking for a headphone that is true to the source material.  Both have boosted bass (not as much as the Beats wireless), but the bass on the QC35 slightly muddies the lower midrange.  Not so with the Sennheiser.  The Sennheiser also has a more extended, but smooth, treble response.  The QC35 seems somewhat rolled-off at first listen, but my ears quickly adjust to the laid-back sound signature and it works out just fine.  I could live with either one, but will probably keep both.  Note: I've had no Bluetooth problems with either.

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #41 of 1,152
so is there an improvement concerning the NC?
Is there still this felt pressure when NC is activated.
The NC of the QC25 made me sick after 10min or so 
and I'm hoping that it may be not happening with the QC35.

I know exactly what you mean by the pressure felt with the QC25's...it is gone in the QC35's for me...you def feel it and hear it in the 25's...it just works on the 35's without actually hearing and feeling it...

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #42 of 1,152

I have both, but haven't had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison.  My quick take is that the Sennheiser is the more accurate of the two if you're looking for a headphone that is true to the source material.  Both have boosted bass (not as much as the Beats wireless), but the bass on the QC35 slightly muddies the lower midrange.  Not so with the Sennheiser.  The Sennheiser also has a more extended, but smooth, treble response.  The QC35 seems somewhat rolled-off at first listen, but my ears quickly adjust to the laid-back sound signature and it works out just fine.  I could live with either one, but will probably keep both.  Note: I've had no Bluetooth problems with either.

Thanks for the impression. Which one is bigger and heavier?

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #43 of 1,152
  Good news and bad news. The QC35 pairs well with the MacBook and stays paired. But my 2011 iMac disconnects a few seconds after pairing. I tried it a few times and even cleared all devices but to no avail. I opened up a support ticket with Bose. 

FYI, I also purchased the new Soundsport Wireless and it has the same issue with the iMac but not the MacBook. 

My experience was more stuttering than disconnecting, but it shows a definite issue with the Mac.

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #44 of 1,152

Thanks for the impression. Which one is bigger and heavier?

Weight seems about the same.  (Bose website says the QC35 is 10.9 oz. Sennheiser website seems to omit the weight.)  However, the QC35 seems lighter on the head.  Clamping pressure of the QC35 is lighter and the headband is well formed so that it's ever so slightly more comfortable (for my large head) for long listening sessions.  The Senns are very comfortable as well, but a little tighter on the ears.  I had some trouble at first getting them to seal at the bottom of the ear, but the swivel mechanism has now loosened up and that no longer seems to be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back