Bose QC25 review (long flight experience included)
Mar 31, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #46 of 59
Question: Why bother buying NC headphones when you can use noise isolating headphones without sibilance and loss in sound quality?
Is it just for blocking noise when you are not listening to anything?

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #47 of 59
Because generally NC headphones don't rely on having a perfect fit in order to block out sound effectively. None of my noise-isolating headphones or IEMs are comfortable for the duration of long haul flights.

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #48 of 59
To anyone who asks "why can't you just shure-it-off" (so to speak), I would argue that we are not all necessarily sensitive to the same noise frequencies. I would also say that active NC and passive isolation block out slightly different frequencies, and I've gone through phases where one works better than the other.

I put my mom through several years of IEMs just because you all said those isolate better. She finally went to active NC and has never looked back. Haven't listened to any advice from head-fi ever since... 
tongue.gif

I've always done both types because I own a ton of toys, but lately I've developed some abrasion-burn (with foam tips) and vacuum/fit issues (with silicone tips) with my IEMs, and I've been increasingly inclined to just pop on my QC20 which doesn't require a tight seal and is meant to be just gently placed in the outer ear. I could use a BT variant of the QC25 or 20 right about now...

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #49 of 59
  Question: Why bother buying NC headphones when you can use noise isolating headphones without sibilance and loss in sound quality?
Is it just for blocking noise when you are not listening to anything?

IEMs generally block out middle to higher frequency noise. Bose NC headphones block out lower frequency noise much better. Either method is much better than flying without any form of passive or active noise blocking/cancelling. 

I am in the NC camp for flying. 

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #50 of 59
Why can't Bose build on the QC25 platform and develop an NC bluetooth over-ear headphone set? I keep asking Bose but they claim they don't release advanced info on any of their products. I've tried (3 different times) the SoundLink on-ear and they are not that comfortable and their soundstage is a bit lacking. I like their fresh sound and good bass (sub-bass just OK) and I would hope their next evolution of the SoundLink over-ear (AE2w) would be a QC25-like BT with noise cancellation. I sure as heck would grab a pair.

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #51 of 59
Have you guys any experience with using a headphone amp/dac combo with the Bose QC25s? I am thinking of buying an Oppo HA-2 to connect to my phone, will the Bose QC25s sound much better through the amp/dac in the Oppo HA-2 than, say, my Macbook and iPhone's internal amp/dac?

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #52 of 59
  Why can't Bose build on the QC25 platform and develop an NC bluetooth over-ear headphone set? I keep asking Bose but they claim they don't release advanced info on any of their products. I've tried (3 different times) the SoundLink on-ear and they are not that comfortable and their soundstage is a bit lacking. I like their fresh sound and good bass (sub-bass just OK) and I would hope their next evolution of the SoundLink over-ear (AE2w) would be a QC25-like BT with noise cancellation. I sure as heck would grab a pair.

Replying to my own post. Bose is releasing (9/10/15) the SoundLink around-ear wireless headphones II which will replace the AE2w which were their first foray into BT. Tried them out at the Bose store and they rival the on-ear version, but with 1) NFC connectivity, 2) over-ear comfort. NC is not part of the new features as it would compete with their QC25 line. But they do isolate outside noise better than the on-ear because they cover your entire ear. The cups are designed exactly like the QC25,; deep and angled inside.

Since I liked the sound of the on-ear headphones, I will most likely grab these new headphones. The on-ear were not comfortable after an hour for me.

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #54 of 59
  I still think QC20 is a better choice, just put into shirt pocket and no mess with carry box. But I think they should improve their design for the battery/controller part

I had those just recently when they lowered the price on the original set..... I did like their sound but not the controller. When doing things having to keep that in the proper orientation in my pocket was a real pain. Tomorrow I will return to the Bose store so I can do a better comparison of the new around-ear and on-ear SoundLinks. My concern is the around-ear, being designed like the QC25, will have a less bright sound quality. 

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #55 of 59
Bose SoundLink around-ear wireless headphones

I went to the local Bose store this morning to compare the new around-ear to the on-ear SoundLink headphones.

Pros: 1) more comfortable, 2) NFC connectivity, 3) swivel flat for storage.

Cons: 1) same sound quality BUT much less volume level

These have the same sound as the QC25s without noise cancelation. My biggest complaint on the QC25s was they had much less volume/punch regardless of the input volume. These new SoundLinks have the same issue. I listened to my own music on both of these wireless headphones. Head-to-head there was no comparison. Music should be exciting, emotional, and more - but these do not have that for me.

In conclusion, if you can endure the on-ear feel without discomfort, I would recommend getting the SoundLink on-ear headphones vs these new ones (and save $30).

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #56 of 59
  Bose SoundLink around-ear wireless headphones

I went to the local Bose store this morning to compare the new around-ear to the on-ear SoundLink headphones.

Pros: 1) more comfortable, 2) NFC connectivity, 3) swivel flat for storage.

Cons: 1) same sound quality BUT much less volume level

These have the same sound as the QC25s without noise cancelation. My biggest complaint on the QC25s was they had much less volume/punch regardless of the input volume. These new SoundLinks have the same issue. I listened to my own music on both of these wireless headphones. Head-to-head there was no comparison. Music should be exciting, emotional, and more - but these do not have that for me.

In conclusion, if you can endure the on-ear feel without discomfort, I would recommend getting the SoundLink on-ear headphones vs these new ones (and save $30).

how are you powering them?

QC25 def feel underpowered even with my macbook pro unless i use a portable USB DAC.

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #58 of 59
I'm spending a ton of time in a datacenter this month, and just picked up the QC25.  Been using various NC phones for ~9 years now, for 10-20 hours a week, and these QC are the best I've tried:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/733212/new-bose-qc25-2014/345#post_12417914

My team members use a mix of older QC15 and QC20, and they're happy with those models.  No problems or warranty issues that I know of.  The inline mic of the QC25 - a new feature over the QC15 - is very useful.  I can be inches away from screaming equipment fans, on an intelligible call talking about the very same equipment.  The iPhone must be doing a fair bit of noise-reducing DSP on the input from my mic, as the other party can hear me pretty well.

I actually had the Sony 1RNC come in the same day as the QC25, but after spending the first full day with the QC, I returned the Sony without breaking the shrink-wrap.  There's a fair consensus that Bose NC is the best, and given that the QC25 didn't create hot spots with my particular physiology, there was no point trying anything else.  SQ doesn't much matter for me, since 95% of the time I'm not listening to anything to better focus on the tasks at hand.  That said, the SQ is definitely good enough.  I think Tyll's review is spot on.

I don't have any other Bose products and frankly won't be looking for any, as I associate them with marketing-heavy gimmicky consumer stuff.  But I have to give due credit here, as it looks like the whole QC line is quite good for NC purposes.

May 6, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #59 of 59
Bose QC25 has 4 pole pin and conventional 3 pin headset on desktop phone. GND and MIC on 4 pin connector are shorted out when the 4 pin connector is inserted into the 3 pin socket, but can hear audio on one channel. Need to either wire up a in-line connector to feed the mono audio output to both left and right (and redirect mic) or maybe someone knows if there is an off-the-shelf connector which is available to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back