Bose QC20 or Shure SE425
Apr 19, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 8
I have the se535`s and used to own the qc20`s and I find that the shures isolate better and have superior sound quality, the bose cancel different frequencies better but on a whole they isolate worse than the shures, sound quality isn`t really up to scratch on the bose iems either, the shures are probably the way to go.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 8
What are you hoping to achieve with these IEM/ear phone? I own the SE215, 535, 846 and the QC20i. If it is noise cancelation and comfort while traveling, then buy the QC20i. If you desire sonic fidelity then Shure is your answer.

Edit. I will say the QC20i is sonically better than the SE215s and is very comfortable as it does not actually go into your ears.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 8
I personally think the se425's were horrible, its really lacking in the high end with very thick mids. I sold them and got the RE400's which were less than half the price but didnt like the build quality and the isolation. I really like my TDK BA200's though, dual BA for half of what i paid for se425's, neutral sound good in lows mids and highs. You may also want to check out Gr07's because they are cheaper and many people love them too !!

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 8
Honestly I tried my friends QC20 and the sound was mediocre. It sounded a bit cluttered for my taste. The ANC also gives me a headache after a while.

The SE's all isolate extremely well Shure rates it at -37db of attenuation which is believable. However, the QC20 does have a better passive cancellation. The reason why you would choose the QC20 is if you travel a lot or you prefer a warm sound signature. The SE425 being the most neutral sounding IEM in the SE line-up some people do not flat frequency response earphones. With that said the SE425 is a superior earphone in every other aspect - durability, sound, warranty, and comfort (personally).

I would try them on before making any decisions as everyone's preference differs. Let me know how it turns out!

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 8
I had a Bose MIE2 before and I know that their cable durability is horrible, so that was my biggest concern. I liked your opinions, but I don't know if is it worth to spend $300 in the SE425.

Finally, I like to listen all kind of music but prefer old school rap, rock and electronics. So I've been wondering if it worth to investment in a SE535LTD or a Westone w40? Or a seinnheiser IE80 is better?

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 8
  I had a Bose MIE2 before and I know that their cable durability is horrible, so that was my biggest concern. I liked your opinions, but I don't know if is it worth to spend $300 in the SE425.

Finally, I like to listen all kind of music but prefer old school rap, rock and electronics. So I've been wondering if it worth to investment in a SE535LTD or a Westone w40? Or a seinnheiser IE80 is better?

All those options should fit you well. For rap, edm and stuff I would definitely not recommend the SE425s. The limited edition 535 would be better because of its enhanced bass over the stock 535s. Never heard the IE80 or w40 but I know that the IE80 you can tune your bass and I would assume it would be more fun sounding due to the fact that its a dynamic driver. These options will be a lot more expensive that the 425 lol if you're not willing to spend $300 on them. 

On another note, I just picked up the XBA-4IP. And all I can say is wow the sub-bass is mind-blowing. It extends so well and is very controlled. Not to mention that it is very capable of attacking fast for your hardstyle 150bpm+ songs with ease. These are my go to pair for my hip-hop and EDM craving haha completely opposite from the neutral 425s.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back