bose qc2 vs. beats by dre
Dec 14, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll second Duggeh. DIY an orthodome. Tell Dr. Dre where he can stick it.

That's all good but the common public ain't gonna DIY some headphones (if you haven't notice by the guy's low post count).

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, the other limiting factor is that some people can't (or won't) stick anything at all whatsoever inside their ears.

Freddie hasn't stated whether this is a problem or not.
So freddie, is it a problem for you?

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Freddie hasn't stated whether this is a problem or not.

Fair enough. The truth is, he wants really heavy bass, which no IEM can reproduce without severe distortion/clipping. Thus, I cannot compare full-sized headphones directly to IEMs.

Also, the better-sounding IEMs at every price point that I have listened to over the years produce relatively weak bass. The few IEMs which I had previously listened to that are relatively heavy on the bass sound underwhelming through the rest of the audible frequency range. (This performance is very much like a train line which runs very long trains that are full on one half of the line but underutilized on the other half of that same line - in both directions.)

And no headphone - full-sized or otherwise - can produce both bass weight and bass speed at the same time. Bass, by its very nature, is molasses-
S L O W.

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Fair enough. The truth is, he wants really heavy bass, which no IEM can reproduce without severe distortion/clipping.

Debatable.

Quote:

Also, the better-sounding IEMs at every price point that I have listened to over the years produce relatively weak bass. The few IEMs which I had previously listened to that are relatively heavy on the bass sound underwhelming through the rest of the audible frequency range. (This performance is very much like a train line which runs very long trains that are full at one end of the line but underutilized at the opposite end of that same line.)

Things have changed alot, particularly in the last two years in the IEM market as more IEM's from around the world are noticed by Head-fi'ers and thus increasing competition. In fact, many of the Chinese IEM's (like the ones sold at Head-direct.com) have Head-fi to thank for a Western market.

Quote:

And no headphone - full-sized or otherwise - can produce both bass weight and bass speed at the same time. Bass, by its very nature, is molasses-
S L O W.

I agree. I have both IEM's that play fast and good bass (Denon C551's) and headphones that play deep but slow bass (DT880).

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #20 of 28
My advice for you: try Creative Aurvana Live! (80$). They are practically rebranded Denons D1001(150$) at a lower price and they sound very good from an iPod. Nice bass and overall quality sound. I prefer IEMs for portable use but if you don't like 'em, this is a good choice IMO.

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddie_shreddie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the headphone requires batteries does this not provide SOME internal amplification????
obviousl not as much as an external amp

No, the batteries go to power the destructive-frequency creation and sound quality-destroying machine that is active noise cancellation.

Go with some grados. Very quick cans, the bass response is good but not loud. If you want boomy bass go for Beyer dt770s. Both can be waaay under your $350.

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #22 of 28
But if Freddie using his iPod Classic, I also predict that he'll use it outside in public and thus IEM's would be a better solution due to isolation. Freddie, full-size headphones don't typically isolate well and active noise cancellation is worse than what isolation IEM's offer + IEM's are far better value.

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if Freddie using his iPod Classic, I also predict that he'll use it outside in public and thus IEM's would be a better solution due to isolation. Freddie, full-size headphones don't typically isolate well and active noise cancellation is worse than what isolation IEM's offer + IEM's are far better value.

What can you recommend?
IEM budget will be around $250

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Fair enough. The truth is, he wants really heavy bass, which no IEM can reproduce without severe distortion/clipping.

Yeah dude i don't know about that even the bose in ears (which i'm sure most of you hate) could put out the bass. however putting the bass booster on the ipod you can't hear a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back