bose qc2 vs. beats by dre
Dec 14, 2008 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Freddie_shreddie

New Head-Fier
i'm looking to upgrade headphones i was considering Either Bose quiet comfort 2 or these new beats by dre by monster cable i saw at futureshop today.
I listen to bass heavy music; rap and metal(double bass pedal) which might you recomend?
Feel free to sugest something else under $350

Thanks

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 28
If you're very lucky you could get a used Stax 2020 for $350. $400 would be closer to norm though. Elsewise I'd DIY an Orthodome.

No question I'd go with that. But I'm probably on my own.

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 28
I wouldn't suggest getting Stax (save for O2 or so I heard) for bass heavy music since the impact of the Lambda that I have just isn't there.

Details and comfort are superb though.

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 28
Freddie, in other words, there are far better alternatives out there than those two at the same price.

What the others haven't mentioned is what's your source?
In other words, what will you be playing it out of?
No point having a Denon D2000 or STAX setup without a good source! People!

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 28
Ok wil be running mainly from an ipod classic.
The metal that i listen to has super fast double bass pedal. the louder the better as far as i am concerned. I tried out the beats by dre today and i was very impressed with the bass response but i don't know how it would hold up to the fast stuff that i like.
I don't want to run an amp.

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddie_shreddie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok wil be running mainly from an ipod classic.
The metal that i listen to has super fast double bass pedal. the louder the better as far as i am concerned. I tried out the beats by dre today and i was very impressed with the bass response but i don't know how it would hold up to the fast stuff that i like.
I don't want to run an amp.

In that case, then, save your money. Those mass-brand $300~$350 headphones with active noise cancellation cost about three times more money than what their sound quality warrants. They sound no better than conventional closed-back headphones priced between $100 and $125. And although the iPod Classic is capable of producing better sound quality than what the stock iPod earphones reproduce, the Classic's (or any other portable player's) output isn't powerful enough to properly drive most conventional headphones priced higher than $100.

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that case, then, save your money. Those mass-brand $300~$350 headphones with active noise cancellation cost about three times more money than what their sound quality warrants. They sound no better than conventional headphones priced between $100 and $125. And although the iPod Classic is capable of producing better sound quality than what the stock iPod earphones reproduce, the Classic's (or any other portable player's) output isn't powerful enough to properly drive most conventional headphones priced higher than $100.

If the headphone requires batteries does this not provide SOME internal amplification????
obviousl not as much as an external amp

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

If the headphone requires batteries does this not provide SOME internal amplification????
obviousl not as much as an external amp

No. The batteries are only used for their active noise-cancellation circuits, which may or may not amplify the sound. And noise-cancellation circuits, by their very nature, can distort the sound output from the headphones - and sometimes in an unpleasant way.

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

And not buying anything is no fun.

And I would rather not buy anything than pay way too much money for mediocre-at-best sound quality.

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

And not buying anything is no fun.

Anyway, you might want to go the IEM route as well as they offer isolation as well. There are plenty of great value IEM's out there + most of them will run off an iPod classic no problems as they are designed to do so (via low impedance). The only limiting factor is your budget.

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I would rather not buy anything than pay way too much money for mediocre-at-best sound quality.

Or offer some actual advice as an alternative i.e. IEM route.
Honestly people, read before you post and answer to the person's needs.

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, you might want to go the IEM route as well as they offer isolation as well. There are plenty of great value IEM's out there + most of them will run off an iPod classic no problems as they are designed to do so (via low impedance). The only limiting factor is your budget.

Also, the other limiting factor is that some people can't (or won't) stick anything at all whatsoever inside their ears.

And the only reason why I have not made any recommendations in the $100 price range is that I have not listened to most of the currently available headphones at that price point. I do own a pair of the Sony MDR-7506 and the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO (for both of which I paid $100 each), and neither of those $300 to $350 noise-cancelling headphones sound any better than my $100 closed-back headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back