BOSE QC15 VS ANYTHING ELSE?
Jul 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mattjm1121

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm considering purchasing the bose qc15 as the title implies. However, in researching I've found many reviews saying that their sound quality isn't the greatest, but their noise cancelling ability is second to none. I'm not much of an audio expert, but I do want the most bang for my buck. The $300 price for the QCs is about my limit, but I wouldn't mind paying less for better quality of course 
bigsmile_face.gif

The QCs sound great to me in best buy, i'm looking for some expertise on this issue. My taste in music is verrrry diverse; it ranges from the heavy bass techno and house to acoustic guitar and classical piano. I'd be using these headphones mostly for commuting into and out of NYC and not for exercising or anything else very active so over ear headphones are my preference. 

I'm open to any all opinions! Thanks in advance.

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 8
Well the other noise cancelling choices at this point are the Denon NC800, Sennheiser PXC450, and Sony NC500D (You can do your own research at this point
biggrin.gif
). I've only tried the Sony, and it sounds a bit more realistic. I felt the Bose outside of the testing station has colored mids that aren't the best for acoustic guitar and piano.

However, if you aren't in absolute need for noise cancelling--I really only think it's needed, if at all, on planes, passive noise isolating closed headphones would do very well too.

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the info. What exactly is the difference between noise cancelling and noise isolating? I'm not a frequent flyer, but i do have to deal with the noisy subway and buses so i'm  looking for some peaceful listening. however, i don't want to sacrifice sound quality for %100 noise cancellation. 

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 8
Active noise canceling is when the headphone uses a frequency to cancel out another frequency.  Passive noise isolation is just the physical properties of the headphone blocking out external noise.  One messes with sound quality, the other doesn't change sound quality.  However that doesn't take away from the fact that if the headphone doesn't block out enough external noises, they too were muddy up your songs.

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 8
I will recommend the closed headphones like PS500, Pro 900, DT1350, DT50p, P5 and Bose QC15 are pretty good NC cans with decent sound quality.

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 8
I just bought the QC15 and I have to say the sound is great and the noise cancelling is awesome. While waiting for a train in the subway I did not even hear the train pass by on the other side. Another great feature is you can use the noise cancelling feature without music. I am happy. Lets face it you cannot compare these headphones with a reference headphone or a headphone that is not noise cancelling. You buy these for one reason and it does just that with great sound as well. So please people stop comparing these with normal headphones. You will be happy with the sound too.

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
I just bought the QC15 and I have to say the sound is great and the noise cancelling is awesome. While waiting for a train in the subway I did not even hear the train pass by on the other side. Another great feature is you can use the noise cancelling feature without music. I am happy. Lets face it you cannot compare these headphones with a reference headphone or a headphone that is not noise cancelling. You buy these for one reason and it does just that with great sound as well. So please people stop comparing these with normal headphones. You will be happy with the sound too. Go on Craigslist and get a new used on for $200-250

Users who are viewing this thread

Back