Bose On Ear
May 9, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #31 of 47
Sorry to bump the thread, but I'm listening to these Bose OE's right now... spent the whole morning listening to my KSC75's and now traded with my brother for a bit with his Bose headphones.

I'll say these things are comfy, easy to drive, have some nice bass impact... but the mids are a little garbled and highs, although decent aren't super detailed and definitely not sparkly. I guess they are pretty opposite from the KSC75's.

I tried listening to some classical with these Bose headphones, it wasn't super enjoyable, I don't hear much soundstage or separation at all. Mids and highs aren't the greatest.

Rock sounds better, but the mids are where it falls short, electric guitars don't have that crunch sound.

I turned on some Crystal Method and I think that's where these headphones sound good. Big bass, not overwhelming, but fun sounding. I would actually prefer these over my Koss headphones.

Anyways, they're comfy, have a decent sound, but if I was buying them, I definitely wouldn't pay $160 IMHO. But like someone said earlier... if I got them as a gift, I wouldn't mind, they seem like they'd be nice traveling headphones. Lightweight and comfy.

May 10, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #34 of 47
I'll have you know I really enjoy my Bose OE's and IE's... I have owned both for about 1 1/2 years and they are the shi7. The only problem with them would be the muffled sound that those two seem to share. Another problem is that these headphones are both prone to falling off you're head or out of you ears. If I even look down for a second with the OE's they want to fall to the floor and I can't exercise with the IE's because they like to fall out...

On the other hand, that bass in these phones is quite impressive to my ear and they are the only phones that have enough to satisfy me so far :)basshead... (Future HFI-780's are going to change that...) I also enjoy those phones for as you said, portability. They both come with excellent portable cases that can be used to take them here there and everywhere.

As for the critical range, I must say that these are both bested by Ultrasone and Sennheiser but, this is ONLY critical listening for every last detail.

All of that summed up and I still can't understand why others disapprove of them so much, they really do sound good.

Enjoy those Bose and don't be ashamed of them,

-Tech

May 10, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Techran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have you know I really enjoy my Bose OE's and IE's... I have owned both for about 1 1/2 years and they are the shi7. The only problem with them would be the muffled sound that those two seem to share.

Enjoy those Bose and don't be ashamed of them,

-Tech

the shame is that we're are talking about the 'B" company and that naturally invoke bad and ignorant comments. When i swapped my Cyrus amp for my Arcam amp, and the Arcam amp was sooooo warm that i though my tweeters had blown, i didn't go screaming how overpriced and crap the Arcam was. I just accepted that everyone has a different approach to music.

The thing about Bose is, that they have THE most bloated and artificial Bass of any headphones on the market today. Even with that said, i don't have any problem with anyone saying "i like them" because i like them! for a cleaner overall presentation the HD25-1's would be my recommendation. I have no experience of the AT ES7's, but they to get a lot of praise.

The D1000's would have been the first on my list. They are impressive, but the bass depth leaves a lot to be desired, however i would choose the D1000's over the lower end Grado's.

I Like the OE's I prefer the AE's, I like the Grado's I like the Denon's. it's not easy. I still say the HD25-1's.

May 10, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #36 of 47
Why are people reccommending D1000s when those are around the ear and not ON EAR as the OP noted for comfort? Not really in the same league if the OP wants the comfort from OE in the first place.

To OP: I had the OE for a while, and I got them because they were ridiculously comfortable. However, they CLAMP on your head after extended listening. Gave me headaches quite often.

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #39 of 47
i tried listening to a pair the other day at the store, and they sound pretty good to me. I might be buying a set. I really don't see why people bash bose so much. Sure there's alternatives out there. Better stuff for half the price and what not. But when money isn't much of an issue, some of the bose stuff I tried listening to is pretty good.

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwiggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried listening to a pair the other day at the store, and they sound pretty good to me. I might be buying a set. I really don't see why people bash bose so much. Sure there's alternatives out there. Better stuff for half the price and what not. But when money isn't much of an issue, some of the bose stuff I tried listening to is pretty good.

But if money is no issue to you... still, why would you spend double what you need to to get a certain sound? And if it costs double what it should... shouldn't you be able to get something better for your money that just doesn't say Bose??

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #41 of 47
To say all Bose products are crap or over priced or anything is as ridiculous as saying all "Ford" products are great, or whatever brand.

The Bose On Ear headphones are IMO a good product. Great size for portable use, well consructed, replaceable cable (two provided), light weight, comfortable. They sound reasonable, perhaps lacking the snap and sparkle of the highs, but mids and bass (a litttle muddy) are good. What similar sized cans sound better for the price?

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #43 of 47
This reminds me of everyone bashing Macs because they cost so much more than equivalently speced Windows Machines.

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much were they? $150+?

Hi Citizen86,

Everything has to be relevant.
Bose on ear-Australian Dollars (AUD) $199
In comparrison
K414P $99
K581DJ $120
PX 200 $110
ES7 $150
ESW9 $340
DT231 $120

There isn't much that is as compact as Bose on ear, and I personally would take them over the similar sized K414P and PX200. I am not a Bose fan, (I have never owned a pair) and I do think that they are a bit overpriced as a generalisation. However a part from their obviously excellent marketing strategy to place themselves at the forefront of the Yuppie market, I do believe that the on ear model does fit into a fairly vacant niche.

I am actually in the market for a semi portable fon, and I did consider the Bose "On Ear" as their compact size, reasonable sound and overall finish make them an attractive option (probably about $50 too much for what you get).
I am going for the ESW9 which is 70% more expensive again, and bigger than I would like, however superior sound, wood and leather has won me over.

I just don't think that Bose is "crap or overpriced" is a fair genneralisation for all their products. Are MS Pros worth 6 times the price of an MS1? Diminishing returns within the same line. Are Bose On Ears worth twice the price of PX200 or K414p?
For my money the answer is probably yes, diminishing returns from different lines. And I agree with Unkle Eric that the old 501s and 901s were decent speakers, albeit they weren't cheap (Bang for your buck).

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #45 of 47
The only problem with Bose on this forum is that most people who slags them off have never actually tried a pair..... curious???

Quote:

The Bose On Ear headphones are IMO a good product. Great size for portable use, well consructed, replaceable cable (two provided), light weight, comfortable. They sound reasonable, perhaps lacking the snap and sparkle of the highs, but mids and bass (a litttle muddy) are good. What similar sized cans sound better for the price?

This is a good statement! the more i listen to mine, the more i think: What's the problem here? On some occasions they can still outdo my Sennheiser HDF25-1's. Not every time, but there's the odd song, where i'm reaching for my OE's.

As for the Denon d1000/1001. Good though they are, i'd never choose them for bass, over the AE's or OE's, although they're a far better choice ( for bass) than the low end Grado's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back