Bose in-ear...how much are they really worth?
Sep 9, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren808 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think most are unhappy with Bose because they are not accurate monitors. That said they sound great w all types of music and are non fatiguing which I like when listening to my favorite songs.

Let's just ignore the fact that you can get the same effect with any quality headphone by stuffing your ears up with cotton balls while listening to them through an ipod full of 64k-96k tunes, or if you are on the beach you can use sand to achieve the "bose sound" on a 1985 water resistant sony walkman with your favorite taped recordings from the local AM radio station.

Bose fanboys are good for a few things, one of which is great laughter.

The tri ports are among the worst sounding headphones that I have heard ever, or course you have to listen to them on something other than your 200 dollar Sony/Realistic amp. The set you get free with an ipod are worse in some aspects but surprisingly not all aspects either. Bose is just a joke, sorry man but it's true. They market **** and call it a gold bar and some people disregard the smell and the fact that it looks like a turd and just go, wow man, that is one sweet gold bar you have there and it smells nice too!!!

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #49 of 56
^^ Lol! That was a bit harsh. I have personally owned a pair of Bose triports (around-ear ). Alot of people may find it a fun listen given that they cover alot of flaws (I think this is what darren may be talking about) and have alot of bass. But they are certainly not 'audiophile' in any way. Note that the Bose approach is mainly bass at least for their lower-to-mid end products.

So if you're looking for precision these 'phones may sound really unlistenable. But on the other hand, if you have 128kbps mp3s then I guess these are a good fit right? Reference level headphones like my K701 certainly kills alot of songs (reveals alot of distortions) and sometimes you cant even listen to some cds because the quality of the studio recording is just subpar.

That said you're really paying for what you think it's worth. But truthfully Bose isnt all that "designer". For the price they could definately scale up on the build quality. But that could be said for alot of other manufacturers too, couldn't it.

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #50 of 56
Really, I'd pay about $20 for these. My gf got me some last christmas, so don't tell her that (lol). I mean, sure they got miles of bass, but really thats about it. They don't have any detail in the higher frequency's, and although that didn't bother when I first got them (cuz I was comparing them to my SR60s and wasn't used to the bass, so I was kinda happy) now that I have some high detail IEMs (livewires) I can really see where the Bose's fall short. I mean, sure they cost 40% what I paid for the Livewires, but in my opinion they sound about 10% as good, maybe bump that up to 15% for fun factor with the bass. That means, Livewires being the benchmark, I would pay....$37.50 . Fine, I'd pay $37.50 :-D

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by orangem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ Lol! That was a bit harsh. I have personally owned a pair of Bose triports (around-ear ). Alot of people may find it a fun listen given that they cover alot of flaws (I think this is what darren may be talking about) and have alot of bass. But they are certainly not 'audiophile' in any way. Note that the Bose approach is mainly bass at least for their lower-to-mid end products.

So if you're looking for precision these 'phones may sound really unlistenable. But on the other hand, if you have 128kbps mp3s then I guess these are a good fit right? Reference level headphones like my K701 certainly kills alot of songs (reveals alot of distortions) and sometimes you cant even listen to some cds because the quality of the studio recording is just subpar.

That said you're really paying for what you think it's worth. But truthfully Bose isnt all that "designer". For the price they could definately scale up on the build quality. But that could be said for alot of other manufacturers too, couldn't it.

If you are looking for a bassy, fun closed back headphone the K81 is less than half the price of a triport and offers a lot more. If you dislike the bright nature of the Grados there are lots of dark bassy IEMs and headphones out there which are much better than the Boses. Even the EP-630 is flat out better than the Bose in-ears in everything. The Boses are a rip off no matter how you look at it.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #52 of 56
Lol! Thats why I got rid of mine after about only 3 months. I agree with you if you're talking strictly price to SQ in comparison to what's out there, then they are a rip-off. But the person I sold them to really enjoyed them, hence my opinion that different people really look for different things.

And I do like bright sounding cans!

Edit: If I had known about head-fi earlier, I probably would not have gotten the Bose because there would be people like you to warn me about them. So thanks!
darthsmile.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #53 of 56
I got my pair for Xmas. I wouldn't pay more than $25 for them. But I'm not a big basshead. I actually like my modded marshmallows more than them.

Sep 11, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #55 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolhahaha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's just ignore the fact that you can get the same effect with any quality headphone by stuffing your ears up with cotton balls while listening to them through an ipod full of 64k-96k tunes, or if you are on the beach you can use sand to achieve the "bose sound" on a 1985 water resistant sony walkman with your favorite taped recordings from the local AM radio station.

Bose fanboys are good for a few things, one of which is great laughter.

The tri ports are among the worst sounding headphones that I have heard ever, or course you have to listen to them on something other than your 200 dollar Sony/Realistic amp. The set you get free with an ipod are worse in some aspects but surprisingly not all aspects either. Bose is just a joke, sorry man but it's true. They market **** and call it a gold bar and some people disregard the smell and the fact that it looks like a turd and just go, wow man, that is one sweet gold bar you have there and it smells nice too!!!

The Bose IE's, when properly amped, can sound rather nice. Way better than you've described, IMO. And I, for one, don't think there's anything wrong with great marketing.

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #56 of 56
they dont isolate at all really and feel awkward. But I would pay for it if it was sold for $40 -$50 retail. Not that I would buy it for retail. I liked the soundstage though for casual listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back