Bose headphones...overpriced and crappy sound?
Jul 7, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #136 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Champ04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats because you have the equation backwards. Its not the car companies asking Bose. Its Bose offering to the car companies.
The very first to do this as a means of branding was Mark Levinson and Lexus. It was ML that spawned the idea.
(If you go back far enough, it was acutually Alpine asking to be in Lamborghini. But it really didnt take off as a viable marketing ploy untill Mark Levinson did it. Since far more people were buying Lexus versus Lambo.)

And dont confuse unique products with SQ. Nobody is disputing that they come up with unique items. Though, the Bose Wave Radio, which everyone thinks was some genious contraption is nothing more than the first table top radio to use a transmission line to boost bass output. But I digress.

The reason they retain their resale value is the same reason so many uninformed buyers spend too much money in the first place. Branding!
Its the classic battle between Perceived Valued and Authentic Value.
You can guess which one Bose falls under.

Perception is reality. Let people who listen to BOSE products listen in peace; who cares if they like something we don't.

Jul 7, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #137 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure "BOSE" isn't short for

Best Omitted from Serious Evaluation?

Or is it

Boondocks Of Stereo Establishment?

Or maybe

Barbaric Offense for Sensitive Ears?

600smile.gif

icon10.gif

The third one put a smile on my face ...

Jul 8, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #140 of 164
For my part, these jokes are not meant to offend any Bose fans -- needless to say, I hope.

But the guys at Bose -- the ones who put all their financial might at the marketing department, the ones who prey on the innocent and ill-informed...ah, they surely deserve our contempt.

Jul 8, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #141 of 164
Bose : Headphone = Starbucks : Coffee

Purists hate them, but to normal people, it's the best they've ever had. People will pay whatever you ask for something they think is 'da best', thus they get away with the inflated price. And that's that.

It does make you wonder what else you're paying too much for, though. You know.

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #142 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose : Headphone = Starbucks : Coffee

Purists hate them, but to normal people, it's the best they've ever had. People will pay whatever you ask for something they think is 'da best', thus they get away with the inflated price. And that's that.

It does make you wonder what else you're paying too much for, though. You know.

Starbucks is the best coffee ever but is wayyyyy too damn expensive.

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #143 of 164
Starbucks is not the best coffee. Try RAO's out of Amherst, MA. They ship. Bose headphones, particularly the triports...are among the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. Their sound quality is inconsistant at best, but they have above average customer service and can be fun sounding, depending on the music.

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #144 of 164
well i tried the Bose IE last night and for the first time i was less thatn impressed. not with the sound per se, but the fact that you couldn't really hear it that well because they keep on popping out.
blink.gif

if the earplugs were designed better, then i wouldn't have had to listen to them by pressing them as far in my ears as possible. but even by doing that, the Bose IE's never really fitted that well.

it hasn't put me of the OE or the original Triports though.
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #145 of 164
Whoa!

Bisco82: *"Starbucks is not the best coffee. Try RAO's out of Amherst, MA." *

A UAV techie from NMSU's PSL touting Rao's coffee over
Starbuck's. World class!
cool.gif

Must be a UMass(A) grad. (Red Sox fan. Hates Yankees.)Thumbs up.

Likes Bose TriPorts.......
blink.gif

What a flight!

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #146 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by ICU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa!

Bisco82: *"Starbucks is not the best coffee. Try RAO's out of Amherst, MA." *

A UAV techie from NMSU's PSL touting Rao's coffee over
Starbuck's. World class!
cool.gif

Must be a UMass(A) grad. (Red Sox fan. Hates Yankees.)Thumbs up.

Likes Bose TriPorts.......
blink.gif

What a flight!

Well, not quite.
I was born and raised in Lexington, MA. My dad worked with Rao when he worked at Mass General Hopsital. I get my coffee beans from their website. Never went to Zoo Mass as a student. The original bose triport headphones are quite comfortable. Clearly though, not the best value given their pricepoint. The Denon's at similar comfort level (the D1000 model) have a major edge in SQ

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #147 of 164
You have to admit though, Rao's is the best!

Aug 29, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #148 of 164
I also used to own triport. IMO, Bose has their style of sound. (Some says Bose sound is more like background music) not for serious listener or headfiers though.

Happy listening.

PS. Food also has variety, some like and some don't, No right or wrong for the tastes.

Aug 29, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #150 of 164
As someone who can easily wear tri-flange IEMs for hours at a time and owns the uber comfy HD 595 for stationary purposes I can safley live without the universial comfort of Bose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back