Bose headphones...overpriced and crappy sound?
Jul 7, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #123 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But isn't value in the eye of the beholder?

Yeah, because value is a performance/price ratio. And when it comes to headphones only the person listening can judge the performance because people have different tastes.

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #125 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picture Bose as this...

Bose : Headphones :: Pizza Hut : Pizza

forgive me, but i'm not quite catching your drift. is that a compliment?

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #126 of 164
Quote:

forgive me, but i'm not quite catching your drift. is that a compliment?

Not really.

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #127 of 164
Quote:

Hmm...Pizza Hut tastes delicious. It's expensive as hell, but it's the best tasting pizza I ever had!

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #128 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...Pizza Hut tastes delicious. It's expensive as hell, but it's the best tasting pizza I ever had!

Pizza Hut is okay but I've definitely had better. I think the Stuffed Crust Pizza is the best pizza creation ever, and it's better than Domino's Pizza, but it's not great.

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:59 AM Post #129 of 164
Bose FTW. Never tried their headphones, never will. However, I do have their 6 piece entertainment system in my house. I love the simple design with 5 speakers and a subwoofer. Less cable, less mess and they sound half tolerable. Although Bose won't be able to touch other brands in SQ, but you have to give it to some of their products like the home system I got. I'm not about to get huge speakers, receiver, and a box full of wires lying around. I value looks because when guests come over, they see a clean house. Their headphones, however is utter crap (so I've heard).

Jul 7, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #130 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose FTW. Never tried their headphones, never will. However, I do have their 6 piece entertainment system in my house. I love the simple design with 5 speakers and a subwoofer. Less cable, less mess and they sound half tolerable. Although Bose won't be able to touch other brands in SQ, but you have to give it to some of their products like the home system I got. I'm not about to get huge speakers, receiver, and a box full of wires lying around. I value looks because when guests come over, they see a clean house. Their headphones, however is utter crap (so I've heard).

what i can't get over is the fact that although Bose is so bad;

1) THEY HOLD THERE PRICE BETTER THAN THE USUAL SUSPECTS, believe me as someone who lost £640 on an Arcam 5.1 amp.

2) although audiophile hate them, there accoustic mass (little cube speakers) speakers are the most copied speaker in the whole world.

in fact, many mass produced 5.1 systems has derived from either the Bose acoustic mass, or those tall, slim speakers whose design is copied from Bang and Olufsen, another manufacturer the audiophiles hate, and of whom i'm a proud owner of.

the very culture of Sub-satellite speakers, has come from Bose. Hands up that's not to give them an automatic right-of-passage to the headphone world, but i can't say that Bose is rubbish, that they sound crap, and that there products are useless, because as far as i can see, their products have influenced other products more than any other singular manufacturer i know of (ipods excepted).

Now once again i don't see companies like Porsche, Mercedes and Maserati, asking Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine or Clarion to stick a sound system in their cars. There has to be something to Bose!

got to go and see the father-in-law, so have a good day, and i'll catch up later.

Jul 7, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #131 of 164
Quote:

Now once again i don't see companies like Porsche, Mercedes and Maserati, asking Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine or Clarion to stick a sound system in their cars. There has to be something to Bose!

Thats because you have the equation backwards. Its not the car companies asking Bose. Its Bose offering to the car companies.
The very first to do this as a means of branding was Mark Levinson and Lexus. It was ML that spawned the idea.
(If you go back far enough, it was acutually Alpine asking to be in Lamborghini. But it really didnt take off as a viable marketing ploy untill Mark Levinson did it. Since far more people were buying Lexus versus Lambo.)

And dont confuse unique products with SQ. Nobody is disputing that they come up with unique items. Though, the Bose Wave Radio, which everyone thinks was some genious contraption is nothing more than the first table top radio to use a transmission line to boost bass output. But I digress.

The reason they retain their resale value is the same reason so many uninformed buyers spend too much money in the first place. Branding!
Its the classic battle between Perceived Valued and Authentic Value.
You can guess which one Bose falls under.

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #133 of 164
Quote:

Its more like Shure-Beyer-Westone-ATH-Grado-UE-Sennheiser : Headphones
Pizza Hut : Pizza

NEVER speak ill of pizza hut!

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #134 of 164
BOSE: Beats Other Stereo Equipment

Oh boy...I'm in for a beating
smily_headphones1.gif