Bose equivalent.....
Aug 26, 2010 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Audiophilenewb

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I am looking for an on-ear headset. I normally listen to alternative rock, classics and occasional R&B. Should be comfortable for long sessions of gaming. Has mid-bass and noise-cancellation technology. I have bought and returned a pair of Audio-Technica ATH m50 because i felt that it was too big and tight for me eventhough the sq was good. I have tried the bose on-ear and it felt very comfortable but from reading through the forum, many said that the price is too high for what it offers. 

So suggestion for alternatives to the Bose-on ear please....budget $100-200. Thanks =)

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 17
AFAIK, the QuietComfort 15 are one of the best active sound canceling units. That being said, if sound quality is more important to you than noise cancellation, the Audio Technica ANC7B is right up your alleyway.

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
AFAIK, the QuietComfort 15 are one of the best active sound canceling units. That being said, if sound quality is more important to you than noise cancellation, the Audio Technica ANC7B is right up your alleyway.

Pretty sure noise cancellation isn't important if the Bose On-Ear are the correct "style" of headphones, but just don't sound good or feel comfy.  I'm actually looking for the same thing.  Currently I have some M50s and some Beats Solo HD...and I'm always looking for something better.  Aren't we all?  :)

On ear, closed back are ultimately tough to find...it just doesn't seem to be that popular.

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 17
Isnt Bose QC 15 and the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B around-ear headphones? I am looking for something as light as the on-ear headphones. I tried the M50 before and concluded that i wanted something smaller...I was thinking of Beats Solo HD too but stayed away because of tonnes of complaints about the build quality...

Bose QC 3 looks like a good choice if the price tag is cut by half =)

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 17
Ah! In that case, an alternative to the Bose On-Ear would be the Sony XB300. On ear, comfy, and same bassy signature.

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Isnt Bose QC 15 and the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B around-ear headphones? I am looking for something as light as the on-ear headphones. I tried the M50 before and concluded that i wanted something smaller...I was thinking of Beats Solo HD too but stayed away because of tonnes of complaints about the build quality...

Bose QC 3 looks like a good choice if the price tag is cut by half =)

Keep in mind, most of the complaints about the Solos were the original Solos, not the HD version (which has significantly improved sound quality as well).  If you look at their site, they even have a video of them bending the heck out of the new headband...so you know they addressed the snapping issue the original Solos were having.

Worth a shot...I haven't had a chance to do a side by side with my M50s, but they are quite a bit better than the Bose On-Ears.

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:

Keep in mind, most of the complaints about the Solos were the original Solos, not the HD version (which has significantly improved sound quality as well).  If you look at their site, they even have a video of them bending the heck out of the new headband...so you know they addressed the snapping issue the original Solos were having.

Worth a shot...I haven't had a chance to do a side by side with my M50s, but they are quite a bit better than the Bose On-Ears.

How long have been using the Solos? How frequent? I was originally attracted to the design till "Snapping videos on Youtube" scared me away LOL. How bad is the leakage?

Quote:
Ah! In that case, an alternative to the Bose On-Ear would be the Sony XB300. On ear, comfy, and same bassy signature.

Is there a upgraded version of this particular model? 

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 17
How long have been using the Solos? How frequent? I was originally attracted to the design till "Snapping videos on Youtube" scared me away LOL. How bad is the leakage?

I've only had the Solo HDs for a few days...tonight I'll finally have time to put them side by side with the M50s to see how they stack up.  I just can't wear the M50s because I wear glasses and they bother me.  They sound fantastic, so I may keep them anyway and just use them with my contacts (or blind)...hopefully the Solo HDs can match them fairly well so I can just return them.  Obviously the M50s are a better overall sounding headphone, but for what I need, the slight SQ compromise will be worth it...the Solos are really comfortable.  I'll also check on the sound leakage.  Another thing to keep in mind...I'm a rookie, so I have to admit I'm not the best person to ask about SQ.  I just wouldn't worry too much about the snapping of the headband on the Solos anymore.  They appear to have rectified that.

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:

I've only had the Solo HDs for a few days...tonight I'll finally have time to put them side by side with the M50s to see how they stack up.  I just can't wear the M50s because I wear glasses and they bother me.  They sound fantastic, so I may keep them anyway and just use them with my contacts (or blind)...hopefully the Solo HDs can match them fairly well so I can just return them.  Obviously the M50s are a better overall sounding headphone, but for what I need, the slight SQ compromise will be worth it...the Solos are really comfortable.  I'll also check on the sound leakage.  Another thing to keep in mind...I'm a rookie, so I have to admit I'm not the best person to ask about SQ.  I just wouldn't worry too much about the snapping of the headband on the Solos anymore.  They appear to have rectified that.

No wonder i did not come across the build quality video, its only shown on the US website, i am based in the UK and the Solo HDs here are still look glossy and brittle maybe it will take awhile for those new solo hd upgrades to be available in the UK. Thanks for helping out thou.

Anymore alternative choices to the Bose Quietcomfort 3?

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 17
Out of curiousity, can I ask why you prefer the on-ear design?  This was the deal breaker for me to NOT buy the QC3.  The on ear design looks comfy, but with a shake of the head it comes off.  This is particularly annoying when travelling (as the Bose QC series were designed for this) on flights that suffer from turbulence.  I do tend to fly routes that get some turbulence, so ended up getting the QC15 (and would have bought the QC2 had the QC15 not been produced).

How about something bog standard like the Sennheiser PXC 310 (with or without BT is your choice) or the PXC250-II ?  They are both on-ear designs, and far cheaper to the Bose QC3.  The noise cancelling technology is the same as the PXC450 which is pretty good (I have a pair of them).

There may be some new up-and-coming models that may be better suited, but the only ones I can think of right now that fit the on-ear condition are those two Sennheisers mentioned above.

Aug 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 17
Have you ever tried the DT770/80 for gaming?  I found it to be a lot of fun, and its closed-phone design provides a lot of passive noise cancellation.

Aug 28, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 17
There are - the XB500 and the XB700. These aren't "on ear", though - they are circumaural. The bas pretty much increases with each one - I find the XB700 to be way too overwhelming, though.

Quote:
Is there a upgraded version of this particular model? 

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #15 of 17
You weren't asking me, but there is one major reason why I need on-ear...glasses.  I don't like the feeling of the arm of my glasses digging into the side of my head.  I mean I love over the ear headphones, but I just can't wear them at all times when I'm rocking the glasses.  Sure, if it's late at night and I'm just chilling I don't need my glasses, but if I'm playing games, or listening to music while watching tv or whatever, I need the on-ears so I can wear the glasses too.  It's a crappy situation, but if you get some nice on-ears, it's all good.

Quote:
Out of curiousity, can I ask why you prefer the on-ear design? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back