Bose Around Ear Review
Mar 4, 2009 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

EYEdROP

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone. Tonight I will be reviewing the Bose Around Ear headphones and directly comparing them to my MS-1.

The reason Im doing this review is because Bose gets alot of hate around here. Yes, there will always be better for your money. But I bought them because I was curious, and to be completely honest, Ive always kinda admired the Bose sound signature. That being said, I have nothing against Bose at all and this review is completely unbiased.

I burned in the headphones with 100+ hours of pink noise, listening every couple of hours for changes. When I first listened to them right out of the box, I was unimpressed. The bass was quite exaggerated and peaky around 60hz, the mids were distant, and the highs didnt extend far at all. I let them play the pink noise and they started to change after a couple hours. By the time they hit 30 hrs, the bass settled down alot and the peak started smoothing out. The mids were becoming more and more alive as bass got tamer and the highs started extending more. The soundstage was getting bigger and imaging was getting more precise. 50 hrs, not as much change. Maybe less peaky and more mellow bass. The soundstage sounded the same width, but imaging got better. 75 hrs, again, just slightly smoother response, mabey better highs, clearer mids. After 75 hrs, it didnt really change much to speak of. These things changed alot during burn-in, especially after 24 hrs.

The best way to describe the Bose Around Ear sound is "fun". It does have a dark sound signature and bass is pronounced, but it isnt as sloppy and overpowering as alot of people say. Out of the box, maybe it is. But even though this headphones bass is exaggerated, I can still hear the midrange and inner detail of the music (which is contrary to other reports). These actually arent too far off from my MS-1 as far as detail, everything is there in both phones. And actually, alot details come out stronger and more pronounced on the Bose. Things like ringing timbre of cymbals and even the notes themselves come out quite rich and strong. So rich and creamy in fact, it dosent sound real. The big, big difference between the MS-1 (or other audiophile stuff) and Bose was the MS-1 sounds more realistic, natural and transparent to what was on the recording. The Bose on the other hand has an artificial tone to it. Male voices sound more masculine than life. Bass impact is very strong but not true to the real instrument. Bass guitar sounds too warm and the double bass is somewhat sloppy but still acceptable. One good thing is they extend down to 30hz or so before noticeably dropping off, which is better than my MS-1. The midrange has the tonality of a $20 Sony with certain (but not all) instruments, but is much more detailed. Treble is sweet sounding but dosent extend far enough and sounds a little exaggerated and fake. Everything just seems "enhanced" with extra warmth and richness to make almost any recording sound powerful and enveloping.

Belive it or not, I can recognize the notes and frequencies of the sounds better with the Bose, which would make them good for transcribing. For example, I hear every note of a guitar solo quite well on the Bose. Every note that comes out sounds rich and authoritative. The MS-1 has a more transparent and cold tone to it but is actually more correct and brings out true richness and impact when the recording calls for it, which is something the Bose cant do for crap.

The MS-1 are better in almost every respect. But these 2 headphones couldent be more different from eachother. The engineers had different goals in mind. I think Bose went for the unrealistic sound on purpose, and in my opinion did a good job at it. They even say the purpose of their products is to simulate the live sound experience. I haven't been to a concert in a long time, so I dont know about that. What I do know is this singers chest and lungs must have grown bigger when I threw on the Bose.

I did a blind test on my Dad between the MS-1 and Bose (he knows nothing about audio and dosent care). He said every time that the Bose sounded better. And it dosent suprise me because most average people like that bigger than life, Rock EQ type of sound. Nothing beats the true to life, high fidelity audiophile sound. But in my opinion, Bose did a good job of creating a "pleasant" sounding headphone for the un-educated mass market. They are extremely comfy and lightweight, look cool (IMO), and you can get them locally with ease. That is why they are popular. They sound great without sounding like the real thing, and that is something people can tap their toes to no matter how awful the recording.

Im returning them tomorrow for a full refund. I cant afford them and I wouldn't use them much anyway. But the Around Ears have my respect and id consider buying them if I wanted a purposefully artificial sound. I like the music that comes out of them, but they just dont sound "right" like my MS1. They do, however, have a unique personality that is enjoyable in its own right. You cant really set a price on something that is supposed to be different than the competition because you have nothing to compare them to. Like I said, these are not audiophile headphones and they dont try to be. Take it for what it is, dont flame me about it.

BTW: Take a look at the pics. The drivers are angled in the earcup, kinda like ultrasones.

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #2 of 18
Your review sounds about right. The triports aren't that bad, but the Bose signature is way too synthetic for my tastes. They really change the sound so that it begins to sound artificial. Whenever I listened to any Bose headphones in general, the bass was always really prominent making you feel more... pushed into the music? (sorry for the lack of a better phrase). But yeah... The reason why I began to steer away from Bose was because of its artificiality. Good review. I think it's pretty accurate.

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 18
I agree, atrificial and expensive. Why would I want these again? That being said you could do worse then bose (though it may be hard to top there lack of quality compared to the price you pay).

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 18
Artificial is the perfect word to describe the Bose sound.

From my memory, the AE is better than the OE, which is pretty much everything you've said but worse.

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 18
Yeah, these really arent bad by any means and they DO provide an acceptable amount of detail, soundstage, and alot of impact, provided they are broken in for atleast 40-50hrs. But they lack one very important key element: faithful, accurate musical reproduction.

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 18
I liked your review, too bad you didn't take a side by side picture. Would have been fun to look at
smily_headphones1.gif
But I agree, if I listened to the Bose 10 years ago, I probably would have preferred them also over the AD900 even, as that's the kind of sound I was into. But even at that age, the AD900s look so COOL! Have fun with your MS1!

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 18
Correct!

Bose headphones are enjoyable to the masses, that's for sure. Audiophiles are an anomalous bunch, who often (though, as all generalizations go, not always) get off on accuracy. The Bose headphones are...smooth, like piece of wood sanded down, or a photo blurred to remove visible imperfections. And for most people that's great. Too expensive, but great. I'd rather have D1001s. Well, I'd rather buy D1001s. Wouldn't mind some free Bose actions though...

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 18
I think your review shares a very valuable point that a lot of people miss. Bose's sound is targeted towards the general public who just want a pleasant sound. Most people don't even appreciate high quality(either because they don't care or they can't hear a difference). They're meant to be pleasant sounding to most people, and that's exactly what they do. They'll never satisfy an audiophile's tastes, but that's not their purpose.

Thanks for sharing!

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 18
I once tried my HD280s with a receiver, and found that I had to set the volume so low that I could clearly hear the background hiss. Those were 64 Ohm, and the Bose are 34 Ohm! The Bose are clearly intended for use with portable devices, and would not work at all with a more powerful amp.
I will give them this, though: they are incredibly comfortable (they even make DT770s feel clunky by comparison)! I wish somebody would make good phones that comfortable!

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most people don't even appreciate high quality(either because they don't care or they can't hear a difference).

I dunno if this is quite right. "Sound quality" is something of a value judgement. Most audiophiles want...accuracy, detail, that sort of thing. It's not to say that "more detail" or "more accurate" is "better" in some objective sense. It's just preferable to many audiophiles. Non-audiophiles might fine the less accurate, less detailed Bose headphones more enjoyable. More power to them.

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYEdROP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone. Tonight I will be reviewing the Bose Around Ear headphones and directly comparing them to my MS-1.

... I did a blind test on my Dad between the MS-1 and Bose (he knows nothing about audio and dosent care). He said every time that the Bose sounded better. And it dosent suprise me because most average people like that bigger than life, Rock EQ type of sound. Nothing beats the true to life, high fidelity audiophile sound. But in my opinion, Bose did a good job of creating a "pleasant" sounding headphone for the un-educated mass market. They are extremely comfy and lightweight, look cool (IMO), and you can get them locally with ease. That is why they are popular. They sound great without sounding like the real thing, and that is something people can tap their toes to no matter how awful the recording.

Im returning them tomorrow for a full refund. I cant afford them and I wouldn't use them much anyway. But the Around Ears have my respect and id consider buying them if I wanted a purposefully artificial sound. I like the music that comes out of them, but they just dont sound "right" like my MS1. They do, however, have a unique personality that is enjoyable in its own right. You cant really set a price on something that is supposed to be different than the competition because you have nothing to compare them to. Like I said, these are not audiophile headphones and they dont try to be. Take it for what it is, dont flame me about it.

BTW: Take a look at the pics. The drivers are angled in the earcup, kinda like ultrasones.

I'm very glad you posted this. I just joined (after finding this site searching for reliable burn-in information) to view your pics and comment (I have an older pair, perhaps I'll post pics with the inner cover removed, which isn't hard.)

I wouldn't say I'm a Bose fanatic, but having owned -- and still own most of the following -- Bose 201s, 301s, 401s, Triport (AE) headphones, and Mediamate speakers, I guess you could call me a devoté. Or victim. In the early 90s (or was it late '80s) I tested several reference CDs on some speakers in a USAF AAFES listening room, and 401s won hands down over other high-rated consumer boxes. (Emphasis on "consumer" over "audiophile.") I've had them ever since and still enjoy them for everything from home theater, to jazz, to ambient, to pop.

I was impressed a few years ago that, unlike many headphones, I could increase the volume with Bose's basic Triport (AE) headphones, and it didn't start hurting my ears. Music got louder, but without the usual accompany aural discomfort. I bought a pair, exchanged it a year or so later when Bose offered replacements for the faulty headband, and acquired another pair with their "CD system" at a warehouse store as I kept the other pair at my office.

True, there are better headphones, but I found a lot of them uncomfortable. The Triport AEs are light, pretty comfy for extended wearing, and the "tuned port" holes mean they don't "suffocate" my ears like others I've tried. (When I did Public Radio production some years ago, I had a set of cheap OEs that I liked. Technics or Panasonics, IIRC).

I hadn't thought of burn-in, though, so I'm gently running that on my newer pair that I've probably used for 24 hours or so in the 3-4 years I've had them (yeah, I don't do a lot of 'phone listening). Used white noise (normal listening level) for 24 hours, then some various ambient recordings for 8 hours, now using pink noise for 24-36 hours. From all the reviews, that seems to be the most I'll get any benefit from. I find that I leave my devices (incl. new -- to me -- iPods) with zero equalization or bass boost, so the inherent coloring (healthy bass, lighter treble) suits me fine. I think that "larger than life" soundstage suits my listening tastes, relieving me from having to adjust the player's EQ settings to my personal preference.

I agree, the price for Bose equipment is set high (a matter of some quality, some brand recognition, and significant marketing hype, like Apple does), but in the cases where I've gotten deep discounts (buying at warehouse stores or via rewards card programs), I can't complain.

[size=xx-small](E.g..... I recently found that my bank charge card rewards account was spilling over with beaucoup points, and bought my gf a Nano 5G, and with the remainder, ordered myself some Bose In-ear headphones that will arrive today or tomorrow. Suggestions in other threads to sell Bose in-ear headphones and buy a better brand has me thinking ... Gizmodo gave a good review comparing the ThinkSound Rain wood IEMs to Shure's SE110s, UE's MetroFi 2,... but the going price on eBay for new Bose IEMs seems to only get US$60-$70, which would require me to lay out cash for a good $100 MSRP pair of IEMs. I like the fact that these are f-r-e-e, and having test driven them in a store (comfort and sound were acceptable), I think better the devil you know than the one you don't. ... I plan to burn them in gently as per suggestions here with some white noise, pink noise, frequency sweeps (< an hour, just below normal listening volume), and then some music. They probably won't disappoint me.)[/size]

So granted there's a heavy contingent of "Friends don't let friends buy Bose" audiophiles here, it's refreshing to find a balanced comparison of Bose phones with an eye to the indiscriminate consumer who wants expendable accessories. For a lot of us, "isolation" and superior acoustic clarity isn't necessary or even desirable, particularly for something that doesn't require much out of pocket cash, and may be lost, stolen or damaged through regular, daily use. Perhaps we should say, "Friends don't let friends buy Bose at MSRP."
beerchug.gif

[size=xx-small]Disclaimer: YES, I've listened to Bose in-car audio systems and wondered what varietal of weed they were smoking. What I heard was ugly. YMMV. [/size]

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 18
I just received a set of Bose AEs as a present from my parents and promptly sold my Shure SRH840s to a friend who was understandably impressed with the Shures.

The initial review by the OP is spot-on on all (most) accounts and am now using the AEs as my movie headphones since accurate sound reproduction isn't necessary IMO in movies. The "coloured" sound works well in providing a particular oomph to action sequences and is so so comfortable i could use it for hours on end.

When i crave a more true-to-life music reproduction, i head straight for my UM3Xs and do all of my critical music listening on them.

Would i ever consider Bose headphones if my parents didn't get them for me? No, but now that i'm having them, i don't see myself getting another pair of headphones for a while to come.

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 18
I will agree with you, as I have friends and relatives who swear by Bose,it they say is a status thing
smily_headphones1.gif

wait till they hear the amount I spend on my headphones,leave alone the speakers.

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #15 of 18

Yes I totally agree with you about UM3X, the best sound quality experience I've ever had is by using them, they are just great enough!
Quote:
I just received a set of Bose AEs as a present from my parents and promptly sold my Shure SRH840s to a friend who was understandably impressed with the Shures.

The initial review by the OP is spot-on on all (most) accounts and am now using the AEs as my movie headphones since accurate sound reproduction isn't necessary IMO in movies. The "coloured" sound works well in providing a particular oomph to action sequences and is so so comfortable i could use it for hours on end.

When i crave a more true-to-life music reproduction, i head straight for my UM3Xs and do all of my critical music listening on them.

Would i ever consider Bose headphones if my parents didn't get them for me? No, but now that i'm having them, i don't see myself getting another pair of headphones for a while to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back