Bose and friends.
Jan 30, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #107 of 140
manaox2;3732733 said:
captian73;3732683 said:
o.k. let's go a little slower. as a Brand we would all choose any UE earphones over say, a pair of Bose IEM's yes or no?
Quote:

Wait. BOSE makes IEMs?
biggrin.gif

give me a break you know what i mean.

Quote:

Quote:
so people will grab whatever they can.......simply because it's there,= Bose visicous/overbearing marketing am i right?

Wrong.

but i thought one of the major complaints was Boses' aggressive marketing, the fact that the have their on booths, that they offer free air miles with their headphones. are you saying that Bose marketing isn't that aggressive .... in the U.S.?

Jan 30, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #108 of 140
shoot me now! i do remember 1 Bose shop that only sells Bose stuff as far as i can remember.

BOSE @ HORSHAM

Horsham is about 10-15 miles from where i used to live (East Grinstead, west sussex)

but for the most part, what are called "Bose centres", were just small hi-fi shops that stocked a large amount of Bose gear with other audio stuff. no so called "Bose centre" i saw apart from this one, was a complete Bose shop that only sold Bose gear. it's not like the Sony Centre's.

So in the U.S. do you have Bose only shops dotted around the country, or is it a hi-fi shop with a large space dedicated to Bose?

i have to say that on my trips to the U.S. (and sadly i do go round the electrical shops on my holidays) i saw no .... mass Bose marketing.

Jan 30, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #109 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shoot me now! i do remember 1 Bose shop that only sells Bose stuff as far as i can remember.

BOSE @ HORSHAM

Horsham is about 10-15 miles from where i used to live (East Grinstead, west sussex)

but for the most part, what are called "Bose centres", were just small hi-fi shops that stocked a large amount of Bose gear with other audio stuff. no so called "Bose centre" i saw apart from this one, was a complete Bose shop that only sold Bose gear. it's not like the Sony Centre's.

In all these stores does Bose have their speakers and headphones in the same room as other speakers or do the get a separate "Bose room"?

Quote:

So in the U.S. do you have Bose only shops dotted around the country, or is it a hi-fi shop with a large space dedicated to Bose?

i have to say that on my trips to the U.S. (and sadly i do go round the electrical shops on my holidays) i saw no .... mass Bose marketing.

Bose Stores

There is this thing called the internet (which you happen to be using) that lets you go to these things called websites. Most manufacturers have websites that provide information. Most of those sites have links to find a retail stores.

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #110 of 140
It my state, they have BOSE centers typically attached to the outside of the mall. I can think of at least one off of the top of the head. They focus more on the speakers, but there is also an apple store for the headphones. Seperate rooms for everything except the noise cancelling headphones.

Also, I don't think its all the aggressive marketing, although I've heard that they used to be worse when they might threaten an unbiased reviewer. Its how they target their audience. Those who shop in Target and the Apple Store for example or those who are fed-up with the noise on the plane and are now buying tickets. It IS good marketing and location, but I look down upon it for using the general mass of people who wouldn't be able to look around them normally and compare and then overcharging them to pay for that. I can also place blame on the other headphone companies who DON'T put themselves out there far enough.

However, I like that there prices are much lower and that I reap the benefit, so maybe I shouldn't complain? haha

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #111 of 140
Quote:

but i thought one of the major complaints was Boses' aggressive marketing, the fact that the have their on booths, that they offer free air miles with their headphones. are you saying that Bose marketing isn't that aggressive .... in the U.S.?

The major complaint is Bose's aggressive marketing leads to inferior products sold at higher prices.

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #113 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The major complaint is Bose's aggressive marketing leads to inferior products sold at higher prices.

what, so just because a company markets aggressively, the product is automatically rubbish? nop, i'm lost again! does aggressively marketed product really equate to a bad product?

anyway shops.

the Apple shops i been to always have a few pairs of either Senns or Bose. The noise cancelling headphones they hook up never work.

Quote:

It IS good marketing and location, but I look down upon it for using the general mass of people who wouldn't be able to look around them normally and compare and then overcharging them to pay for that. I can also place blame on the other headphone companies who DON'T put themselves out there far enough.

i get the fact that they put them in places where you don't have an opportunity to try something else, airport or someplace, and so they're purposely stinging people for that, like a motor-way service station that charges £4 for a sandwich. am i right with what you're saying?

if that's what you're saying then i could understand your argument better!

i think it has everything to do with the target market though. i (again) assume that Boses' target market are business people, people with a bit of wedge. people who don't know the difference or who will never take the opportunity to try any other pair, it's just not that important to them to do that. but there again that arguement falls down because if they can't be bothered to test, then would they be bothered to spend that much on headphones?

when i say to people i've got a pair of headphones that cost £50, they look at me as though i'm nuts. and the usual question of: why spend that much? what's the difference? but $179 is a lot to blow on something you don't know or care about.

so who's Boses' target group. i still think business people with a bit of wedge. someone who would buy and 80 GB ipod and want a nice pair of headphones to go with them, for a present for someone ...... i'm just spit balling here!

a present..... from someone who obviously has a lot of cash to throw about.

head-fi enthusiasts....noooooo

i like them, because they sound o.k. for me. i like the bass, sort of, and i like the fact that i think they're lightweight and portable enough, and that in the cold north east England winter, they'll keep my ears warm better than a pair of IEM's.

question:

is the situation that ... intense, that when people think of headphones in the U.S., their first thought is Bose? is it really like that?

question:

how much do you think they're worth (my OE's)?

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #114 of 140
What's so bad about Bose? I know they suck I just don't know why. I've never personally listened to them but a friend of mine has a pair. I told him that he could get better headphones cheaper, and he's pretty open minded so he asked me what's wrong with bose. I didn't know what to tell him except that it's just what I've heard on here.. if you're looking for anything close to audiophile quality then Bose is certainly not the way to go.

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #115 of 140
Quote:

what, so just because a company markets aggressively, the product is automatically rubbish? nop, i'm lost again! does aggressively marketed product really equate to a bad product?

I have explained this ad nauseum. Go back a couple of pages there is even a mathematical explanation.

No aggressively marketed mass consumer products tend to be overpriced and offer very bad value for money. All that marketing budget gets passed on to the consumer through higher prices.

BTW marketing isn't the only criteria so start thinking a little broader. I have yet to see the specs for your Bose phones that I have asked atleast 3 times now.

Bose does not play on a level playing field. They don't even offer consumers basic specs for their products. Would you buy a car without knowing the MPG rating, Horsepower or engine capacity? If you were to would you pay more for such a car if you could only test drive it in the car companies test track which is made of glass like smooth surfaces with the start on a top of a hill and the end at the bottom?

So far all you have done is show that people prefer spacious cars(Bose OE) to cramped two seaters (UE 5EB) .

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #116 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have explained this ad nauseum. Go back a couple of pages there is even a mathematical explanation.

No aggressively marketed mass consumer products tend to be overpriced and offer very bad value for money. All that marketing budget gets passed on to the consumer through higher prices.

BTW marketing isn't the only criteria so start thinking a little broader. I have yet to see the specs for your Bose phones that I have asked atleast 3 times now.

Bose does not play on a level playing field. They don't even offer consumers basic specs for their products. Would you buy a car without knowing the MPG rating, Horsepower or engine capacity? If you were to would you pay more for such a car if you could only test drive it in the car companies test track which is made of glass like smooth surfaces with the start on a top of a hill and the end at the bottom?

So far all you have done is show that people prefer spacious cars(Bose OE) to cramped two seaters (UE 5EB) .

You can get an accurate frequency response/resistance graphs from the HR site. Besides, the presence of specs have extremely little revelance to how good a product is. It's just Bose's clever way of not releasing specs, so "newbs" won't automatically judge a product by merely looking at the specs ^

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #117 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiganti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's so bad about Bose? I know they suck I just don't know why. I've never personally listened to them but a friend of mine has a pair. I told him that he could get better headphones cheaper, and he's pretty open minded so he asked me what's wrong with bose. I didn't know what to tell him except that it's just what I've heard on here.. if you're looking for anything close to audiophile quality then Bose is certainly not the way to go.

I wouldn't do that to a friend of mine. If your friend bought the Bose let him enjoy his purchase. There is no reason to inflict buyers remorse on a friend.

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #118 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get an accurate frequency response/resistance graphs from the HR site. Besides, the presence of specs have extremely little revelance to how good a product is. It's just Bose's clever way of not releasing specs, so "newbs" won't automatically judge a product by merely looking at the specs ^

HR site? HeadRoom or Bose Human resources?

I understand your point. Specs don't tell you everything about a product but things like impedence and sensitivity do have a bearing on the amp you would use to drive them.

Most "newbs" that make up Bose's target market would probably not read specs even if they were present. The fact that Bose is one of the only mainstream manufacturers that knowingly withholds specs.

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #119 of 140
People often forget that Bose is not a charity organisation. They just want to make money with less effort as possible, just like every other company. And this is just their way of doing it and it works!

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #120 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Quote:

Would you buy a car without knowing the MPG rating,

but you and i know that for the most part mpg specs are a load of crap, hence Jeremy Clarkeson got 8 mpg out of a range rover sport, when the manufacturers quote was what, 17 mpg.

Richard Hammond (people in the uK will know who I'm talking about) tested a 500 horsepower shelby mustang that had........ about 440 hp!

numbers can be a good guide, but i don't think they tell you the whole story.

But I do take on board your point about specs though,(see i'm coming 'round) and yes, at times i thought it strange that they've never released any specs, but again does that automatically mean "bad product"?

just because a range rover sport may do 8 instead of 17, does that make i more uncomfortable, less capable off road.

it's this click and whirr response. Bose=bad and that's that!

click whirr: expensive=good.

click whirr: cheap=bad

it's just automatic responses we go through, but that click whirr response that we're all prone to in all walks of life, doesn't mean that it's the best response.

=99&graphID[]=255]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=255

Now i was always told that the flatter the line the more accurate they would sound. HD650 and Bose QC2 (which i've never even thought about buying)

but i like my bass. so here's the QC2 v 5EB's.

=99&graphID[]=621]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=621
and the HD25 vs QC2

=99&graphID[]=189]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=189

but does that mean that i should write off the Bose. i think they're comfortable, i think they're built well, and they're foldable which is something i can't do that with the HD25-1's. may not be important to some, but it maybe a major consideration to someone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back