Bose and friends.
Jan 25, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #46 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
recommending a product you have personally auditioned is not fanboyism.

recommending one you haven't because it is from a brand you like is.

I'm sure you can appreciate the difference.

I'm speaking to the site at large. Each brand has it's fans here.

Bose, however, does not. And I HAVE tried them, which I feel gives me enough to say that they suck, for the price.

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #47 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cry Havoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm speaking to the site at large. Each brand has it's fans here.

Bose, however, does not. And I HAVE tried them, which I feel gives me enough to say that they suck, for the price.

Enough to merit a new thread on the topic every two days?

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #48 of 140
i like my bose qc3. it has it's own purpose. it's acoustics are a little flatter. but the sacrifice is worth. i love'm in subways and planes where clarity as hell acoustics don't make a difference. plus it depends on what type of music you listen to. they're by far the best active noise canceling headphones i've ever used. build wise, they plug right into my iphone which is a plus. they also feel sturdy. the only downside is that i didn't know that the product doesn't work without the battery being on. meaning if the battery dies, you're holding onto a useless phone.

btw. the qc3's and triports. the qc3's do sound better because their acoustics aren't as flat as the triports.

hope that offers some insight for people that're considering non-IEM noise canceling.

and i've owned the er4p, ue3, e2, and the cool ipod headphones.

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #49 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangemusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see pairs of Triports and iBuds all over campus, but it's not like I get offended or anything.

Interesting, I have actually never seen anyone here in sweden wearing a bose-headphone of any kind even though they are beeing sold everywhere. If someone buy other headphones to use instead of iBuds it's Koss PortaPro, almost without exeptions.

I listened to a 2.1 system from bose and I was quite amazed by the sound, how could those tiny speakers and subwoofer sound this good, a lot better than all the creative and logitech systems at the same store and it was not much more expensive, maybe 1/4 more expensive but the sound justified that difference.

But it was not hifi sound but the price was not either just my dynaudio 42 costed double the price.

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #50 of 140
bose are great at making tiny speakers that sound great. They anhilate those tiny 2.1 sets from creative and logitech. They have their price to match and while they wont beat massive floorstanders they are tiny.

Their headphones i dont know because i've never tried them.

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #51 of 140
with the sub 50pairs of headphones that i've aquired over the past year, i realised that every pair of headphones i've had have there good and bad points.

for example i love the HD25-1's (celebrating their 11th birthday this year) and the JBL refernce 410's but the clamping effect is quite servere. I love my Denon AH-D1000's but i would love 2 more helpings of bass.

I love my Metro.fi but i could do with a bit more definition at the top end.

right now i'm in the uni library with my iGrado's, and i'm thinking "the midrange n these are better than some of my top end headphones" and the midrnage is brilliant. Dead, dead, center (or as we say in the UK, centre) and very well defined.

what i've realised is that, although the (now) $19 JBL's have more bass weight than the Denon's, why aren't poeple screamign at how crap the Denon's are. If the iGrado's midrange is better focused than my Utrasone 750's, why aren'tn poeple screaming that the "750's" are a rip off?

the answer is fairly simple, and so are most Bose bashers if i'm honest!

1) evryone has different tastes. I simply don't believe in a neutral reveiwers, we are all bias to something. i'm amazed at what seems to be a matter of "what i'm hearing/focusing on, someone else doesn't hear/doesn't focus on"

2) No headphones are perfect. out of my sub 50 collection, i've yet to ahve a pair that ticks every single box 100%, 100% of the time.

3) a "try" is not the same as spending over 5 months on a daily basis, trying and testing them. against my pair of Sennheiser HD25-1's, i've noted that both headphones have an open sound stage, the lower mids and upper bass frequencies are indeed exaggerated, and that on occassion, the Bose OE's offered a bit more definition than the Sennheiser HD25-1's.

so, after 5 months with the Bose, and 11 years with the HD25-1's that's my conclusion. This wasn't my opinion when i got them. i started to fall for the Bose bashing, thinking there was something in the bashers' opinion. on starting out, i would have agreed with some opinions, but until i spent hours and hours comparing them with the HD25-1, i realised, most Bose bashing comments were utter bilge. But hey, i've only got 40 or so headphones, and i've only tested the Bose for the last 5 months, so what would i know!

Now, for what ever reason that might be completely alien to some, I love the Bose. I KNOW..... of the sort comings, but for some reason i just click with them.

To further push the Bose cause, and by a random test, i tried the Bose OE's against the UE 5EB's (which i hated with a passion) on five of my fellow art students on a trip to leeds.

Sony MDR-XD100's in the Art Gallery, can you believe it? | HeadphoneDeals

Now, these people aren't as 'UP'on headphones as you are, and so i thought it would be an interesting test. And every single one of them chose the Bose over the 5EB's. All this was done without any input or influence from me, i just handed them the headphones and walked off for a couple of minutes, then i asked their opinion. and the result was the same, the Bose won every time.

now against such an acclaimed earphones as the UE 5EB's how can that be? Why would seven people, totally virgin to the world of headphones (unlike us) chose the Bose sound over the UE 5EB's which many people here love? why?

the only answer i can fatham, is that for some reason other than, mass marketing, stupid technology, boomy bass, crap, sound, they're ****, comments, those seven people prefered the sound of the Bose over the UE's.

are they wrong?

tell you what, why in blind taste tests does Pepsi and Royal Crown cola consistantly beat coke, yet we still buy coke?

why in a blind hearing test did those seven pick the Bose, yet we'd all go for the UE's over the Bose anyday (except me. i've owned a pair of EB's and they stink).

Why do people still buy the Koss porta pro, Sennheiser PX100/PX200 when the iGrado's are clearly (literally) better?

is it really a matter of such and such a headphone is crap, or is it, IMHO, you can buy better for the money? if it's the later, then i'm afriad it's just that, an opinion, it isn't fact!

even rating the Bass, midrange, treble on the 5 star system, it's still an opinion! i've gone against the grain on some of my headphones, adn found that against popular opinion, i've actually enjoyed them. i've had the reverse effect when it came to the UE 5EB's which are the most hated headphones, i've ever, ever, had the misfortune of having. i say having, i gave them away in the end!

the UE moetro.fi on the other had,....... they can do no wrong, in my opinion, and i'm about to go for the super.fi 4's with hope that the sound is more of the same as the metro.fi.

mention 5EB around me, and i just see red! but that's my OPINION!

Anyway, have a good day my fellow headphone enthusiasts.

Jan 25, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #52 of 140
Bose threads always brings out the best in everyone around here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #53 of 140
Yeah Bose = Junk.
But for some reason people not in the know seem to think Bose makes quality audio gear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigmatron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A guy I know bought Bose QC3. He was talking about how good the bass was. Lol
He had five or six people hear “it”. I do not say anything to him about how bad the Bose on-ear sounds. He had some rap song playing. You could hear really badly bass enhancements. “It sounds like car bass” he say. Hahahaha ha I fell sorry for him. It do not even come close.

A friend got a triport for x-mis. Haa It better then getting the on-ear.
icon10.gif

edit: Bose on-ear not QC3

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #55 of 140
I just now came across a Bose demonstration display at our local Target. They sounded pretty good, but the music available on the demo was all music that provided no challenge to headphones. You know how there are some recordings that sound good on just about anything? That was the music provided. They did seem to be lacking in both bass and impact. Otherwise I had nothing to judge the quality with. I can easily see some one listening to this demo and thinking "Wow, great headphones!". What I did notice is that they seemed fairly flimsy for the price.

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #56 of 140
I just joined the forum. I hate that my first post has to be in a Bose bashing thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To further push the Bose cause, and by a random test, i tried the Bose OE's against the UE 5EB's (which i hated with a passion) on five of my fellow art students on a trip to leeds.

Sony MDR-XD100's in the Art Gallery, can you believe it? | HeadphoneDeals

Now, these people aren't as 'UP'on headphones as you are, and so i thought it would be an interesting test. And every single one of them chose the Bose over the 5EB's. All this was done without any input or influence from me, i just handed them the headphones and walked off for a couple of minutes, then i asked their opinion. and the result was the same, the Bose won every time.

The problem here is this isn't a blind test or a test of a similar products. One is an in ear model and the other an over the ear model. It is easy for the listener to see the Bose logo and let the name branding affect thier perception. Further more many people that aren't into
headphones wouldn't recognize Ultimate Ears as a premium brand. I'll tell you that I am into audio and I didn't know much more than Sennheiser until I started to do research on a new purchase.

The other reason is some get better seal with in ear phones and get great sound for some they can't and get tinny crappy sound. So unless you take similar products it is impossible to draw conclusions from your "test".

Quote:

the only answer i can fatham, is that for some reason other than, mass marketing, stupid technology, boomy bass, crap, sound, they're ****, comments, those seven people prefered the sound of the Bose over the UE's.

are they wrong?

May be. Like you said uneducated ears tend to prefer the bose sound because bose makes headphones that appeal to the masses. The masses don't get clean bass. They prefer a bloated midrange and boomy bass. More so if they see Bose plastered on the side of a product. I tired a pair of Bose OEs at the Apple store and couldn't figure out what was so great about them. I knew I didn't like Bose speakers but I thought that Bose had decent headphones.

Quote:

tell you what, why in blind taste tests does Pepsi and Royal Crown cola consistantly beat coke, yet we still buy coke?

That's because of the brand name etched in our minds telling us Coke is better. And some might genuinely like coke.

Quote:

why in a blind hearing test did those seven pick the Bose, yet we'd all go for the UE's over the Bose anyday (except me. i've owned a pair of EB's and they stink).

Because the testing wasn't blind or of similar products. It is like giving a bunch of non driving enthusiasts a Subaru WRX STI ( hard core race car) and Lexus LS460 . Then asking them which drives better. You will unanimously get the Lexus as the answer. Why because one is more luxurious has a prestige brand name and has a softer ride. The Subaru will run Circles around the Lexus in pure driving prowess on the streets and on the track. But most people wouldn't appreciate it. Does it mean that Subaru is any less of a drivers car than the Lexus.You could substitute a Porshce GT3 for the same effect.

Quote:

the UE moetro.fi on the other had,....... they can do no wrong, in my opinion, and i'm about to go for the super.fi 4's with hope that the sound is more of the same as the metro.fi.

mention 5EB around me, and i just see red! but that's my OPINION!

Anyway, have a good day my fellow headphone enthusiasts.

I agree with you that 99% of audio enjoyment is opinion. But Bose marketing colors peoples opinion and that is what gets true audio enthusiasts upset. Not only that bose charges too much for inferior construction. Never offers specs on thier products that every other manufacturer does.

What is the sensitivity and frequency response of the Bose OE? or the THD value? Even a small company like Skull Candy (equally hated here) publishes those specs for their cheapest $14.99 ink'd headphone. But Bose won't for thier $300 pair.

Anyway if you like Bose more power to you. All I want to say is I can see both sides of the coin.

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #57 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxymoron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The comfort and fold-up engineering of the Bose On-Ears is better than any commuter-class non-IEM phones I had used. Sound is, well, debatable. But the rickety subway and bus system is a great equalizer. The comfort and hyped bass were actually advantages, in that the cramped and noisy environment would have destroyed the sonic advantages of a better pair of non-iem phones.

+1 on the above post that said Bose has its place.

ahem......HD25!

Jan 26, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #58 of 140
Hi im a teenager who loves music, im not audiophile and im not rich either, Ive just joined this forum thing and im new here, I hear alot of ppl are disliking bose because of the quality of their products, And yes their headphones are really not that great. So i just want to share a little bit about the Bose QC2s and how I got them. I have gone to a Bose store near my area and demoed the headphones that they had, at first i thought they were amazing deep lows, good mids and good highs, but the price for them were really expensive $400! i couldn't them so i was really unhappy. At this time i didnt know alot of headphone brands out there except for sony, bose, koss etc. So one day my father went out by himself and secretly bought a QC2 and returned home with them, he gave them to me and said "heres your headphones you wanted enjoy" I was really excited, and i thought they were one of the best headphones. Ive tried them on a Cd player, mp3 etc. But than i got used to the sound of the QC2s and i started to look for other headphone brands that was better than bose, so ive found AKG. Yes AKG is an audiophile brand but due to there high impediance i couldnt get them because then i'll have to purchase a headphone amp and i didnt have enough money for one, so i kept looking and found Grado, and i have heard alot of great things about how detailed the midrange sounds, crisp clear highs and lows and that had led me to here, I than purchased the Grado Sr 325i and plugged it in my pc sound card, and i couldnt believe the amount of clarity from them, my sound card was $353 so it drove the grados fine i used different audio effects that was in my sound card and they all sounded awesome, Ive soon realized that Bose was a bunch of garbadge. However i still use them and respect my QC2s because my father went out and drove to the Bose store just to get a pair of $400 headphones for me and it was my first pair.

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #59 of 140
glad to know the topic is a bit more constructive.

if anyone can share a noise canceling headphone that is NOT an IEM, i would be more than interested in trying another headphone.

and it helps when bose designs their plug to fit the iphone's dumb output

and welcome to head-fi ricki and oanura

Jan 26, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #60 of 140
Yeah, WHY are Bose's plugs all square-prism shaped?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back