Bose AE2 Review - Comfort and Build Quality
Dec 31, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #16 of 27
Agreed, their home theater systems are really a joke unless you really want an "all in one" system with minimal setup. As for the headphones, Bose has done a ton to improve their quality. Some people bash the sound on the QC line, but their selling point is not their perfect replication of the music, it's their noise cancellation. 

I think a lot of the hate for Bose comes from the fact that a lot of "audiophiles" consider them too mainstream and thus no good, which is really unfair. The same goes for beats, if you listen to a lot of rap/bass-centric music they are great. Thats what they were designed for, not to sit down and listen to classical music. 

I really wish some people would just give popular products a chance rather than immediately dismissing them because they are enjoyed by the masses. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #17 of 27

Quote:
Agreed, their home theater systems are really a joke unless you really want an "all in one" system with minimal setup. As for the headphones, Bose has done a ton to improve their quality. Some people bash the sound on the QC line, but their selling point is not their perfect replication of the music, it's their noise cancellation. 

I think a lot of the hate for Bose comes from the fact that a lot of "audiophiles" consider them too mainstream and thus no good, which is really unfair. The same goes for beats, if you listen to a lot of rap/bass-centric music they are great. Thats what they were designed for, not to sit down and listen to classical music. 

I really wish some people would just give popular products a chance rather than immediately dismissing them because they are enjoyed by the masses. 

Well, I'll defend Bose's headphone line to the grave but I have to draw the line at Beats. Beats Solos have a horrid sound signature, even uninformed people wanting them for style agree the sound sucks, not to mention that plastic headband is incredibly NOT durable. The Beats Studios are amped with fake bass, have a sloppy low end with a slurry mid-range and no highs what so ever.  The Beats Studios are like the guy in the 1992 Malibu with 3 15" Cerwins and stock speakers. The Pros are alright and made a little bit better, but are not worth the outrageous price.  Beats have NO, 0% redeeming factors.  What's even more sickening is they're billed as "how music was intended" but they're not even close to reference.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #18 of 27

Quote:
Although I don't own the AE2 I have considered them almost solely because I have found them by far the most comfortable headphone I have tried.  From the comments in this thread it seems many find them super comfortable and even the people that don't like them soundwise or at least not for the value I think most would agree they are comfortable.  Are there any other headphones, preferable cheaper, that have a similar comfort level to the Bose AE2?  And even which headphones would you also consider "super" comfortable in general regardless of price?  Thanks.

This was the main reason I looked at the Triports.  They weren't reference-quality audio, but they were the most comfortable headphones I'd ever tried (with the possible exception of the AKG K601s).  But I've got the HD 598 and the KNS-8400, and they definitely have superior sound quality, with only marginally lower comfort compared to the Triports.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #19 of 27
I think of Bose like I think of Apple. They can be decent yes, but you could get the same or better performance at a far lower price point. Apple products tend to be aesthetically pleasing, solidly built, but would I buy a Macbook pro with my own money when I can get the same specs on a windows machine at half the price? Not a chance. 

That said, I still have an iPod because OOH LOOK SHINY! 

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #20 of 27
It's so annoying hearing Bose mentioned along with Beats and the old Skullcandy. As if the Bose headphones had very bloated bass and severely recessed mids.

I remember back when I was new to headphones buying the overpriced AE1 (first Triport). I used it with my old Panasonic CD player and that combo was amazing. I have that same CD player and I think it's a very warm and musical CD player and really helps out the AE1 a lot. I always loved the AE1. Yes, really.

About 4 months ago I bought the AE2 just for fun and I felt they were quite good but overpriced. Nothing in their signature jumped out at me. No bloated bass, but the mids were kind of relaxed. I actually preferred them to the Creative Aurvana Live I had at the time. I think the only reason I got rid of the AE2 was because I didn't get a good deal on them and often the sound felt a tad congested.

Bought the AE1 a month later for $40 and it was even better. I gave it away as a gift to my mom since it actually had too much treble! Strange, I know. This is coming from someone who owns the SR-325is!

The Bose headphones don't sound that bad and I think you're paying more for the name, comfort and small size. This is no big deal sometimes. Shure and now AKG does this, so it's nothing new.

I find it funny how Bose can sell a headphone for $120 and people call it severely overpriced and a rip-off, yet will buy the Klipsch Image One and latest Skullcandy headphone for the same price without any complaints.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #21 of 27

Quote:
I think of Bose like I think of Apple. They can be decent yes, but you could get the same or better performance at a far lower price point. Apple products tend to be aesthetically pleasing, solidly built, but would I buy a Macbook pro with my own money when I can get the same specs on a windows machine at half the price? Not a chance. 

That said, I still have an iPod because OOH LOOK SHINY! 

Or, you could by a MacBook because it has the best video/music editing capabilities, best reliability, best design, best OS, easiest to use, trackpad etc etc etc instead of a junky Windows registry-eating PC that'll be outdated in two years. Or the iPod, consistently the most reliable, easiest to use MP3 player out there.  I'm not going to get into an Apple war here, but I feel like I must.  You don't know what you're talking about, you probably snub Apple users and say "I can build a better computer from Fry's for SOOOOOOOOOOO much cheaper", right?  Tech elitism is a joke.

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #22 of 27

Quote:
Or, you could by a MacBook because it has the best video/music editing capabilities, best reliability, best design, best OS, easiest to use, trackpad etc etc etc instead of a junky Windows registry-eating PC that'll be outdated in two years. Or the iPod, consistently the most reliable, easiest to use MP3 player out there.  I'm not going to get into an Apple war here, but I feel like I must.  You don't know what you're talking about, you probably snub Apple users and say "I can build a better computer from Fry's for SOOOOOOOOOOO much cheaper", right?  Tech elitism is a joke.

If you're not technically literate, you don't want to hassle of tweaking your own computer, the registry, or writing your own scripts, and you want something that, like Apple claims "just works" AND you have the funds to pay the premium, then sure, I don't see a problem with buying one. As I said, they're quality products, you just pay a premium for it. 

I don't edit videos or audio, so that has very little relevance for me. Best reliability? Maybe. But I'd rather get something that I can service myself. Best design? I will disagree. Apple asks the consumer to make compromises in order to satisfy its design philosophy. This is not acceptable. The computer serves me, not the other way around. If the consumer wants a removable battery and basic serviceability, god damn, it's the product's job to deliver. I will not be sold a lifestyle or a design philosophy. I will be sold a product that does what I want it to do. Best OS? Even with significant time spent on the Apple OS, it is in fact very easy to use, but severely limited in its flexibility. 

Thinkpads (or for that matter, many of the "business" oriented PCs out there) will last you for many years. Saying that Apple products are exceptionally reliable is ignoring a significant portion of the PC market. 

I will concede that there are no mobile devices comparable to the iPod. But that's precisely why I have one. 

Saying that I don't know what I'm talking about is an assumption, to your discredit. And I think I can speak for myself, thanks. And that's funny, I usually find the tech elitism on the other end. 

EDIT: And as far as marketing goes, Bose and Apple are like peas in the pod. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #23 of 27
Here's another view. Without main stream well recognised brands like Bose or Beats selling cans at £300, other companies wouldn't get the extra exposure. People search and end up viewing threads on here. Like I did actually. And then don't worry about spending several hundred on AKg or Shure or whatever. Headphones have never had so much exposure.

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #24 of 27
And just having read a comment on last page re sound quality being poor in, in the sub £50. That is nonsense. I spent a whole hour comparing them with other headphones. The sonic performance is £100 plus mark. Reason why they are so improved over their older models is due to stronger competition.

But as I mentioned before, whilst they have accuracy, they produce toe tapping musicality and listening enjoyment, that is missing from many other cans that are just too analytical.

I would love to see those so opposed carry out a blind test. I bet the results would be interesting.

Anyway, it's 3 mins to 2012. So Happy New Year everyone.

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #25 of 27
People bash Bose and Klipsch and anyone else that doesn't fit into their views . Some are real honest comments on sound( we are all different and value different characteristics in a headphone. Most sadly are NOT!  What kills me are those who bash without even listening to them.  They are so smart they know these things as fact without ever having heard them. example:
Quote:
%^*&*^^

They're both hogwash

I haven't heard either but I agree.

Now how can you agree with the comment when you haven't even heard them.  I wonder.  Bias against a whole company is silly.  Do you mean to tell me that all of Audio Technica's headphones are great,  No Lemons in the family.  I think not.  I read these posts for honest reviews and opinions from those you have listened to the headphones.  Not for personal bias based on nothing more than hear say and conjecture.  My 2 cents thank you

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #26 of 27
It is also a little disingenuous when a review is based on a brief encounter with a headphone at the demo station of a Best Buy or even an Apple store. The listener has virtually no control of the music or the environment.

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #27 of 27
Well, I feel like I can finally come out and say that I bought these headphones a few days ago with some Christmas money. 

They are oh-so comfy and are built solidly enough for me. The sound is pretty balanced, somewhat relaxed as nothing has jumped out so far. I like them a lot so far. I bought them for just over $100, I feel like I payed a good price for them. They have very good isolation as well, I think these are a top notch portable in their price range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back