Bose AE2 Review - Comfort and Build Quality
Dec 30, 2011 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

pilotcorey

New Head-Fier
I know talking about Bose on here is likened to blasphemy, but I wanted to give my input on the AE2s since I purchased a pair. When I listen to music it is typically on my hifi using speakers at home, but I have a few headphones that I really like to use. I may not have as much headphone experience as many of you on HeadFi, but I know what sound characteristics I like. The reason I bought the AE2s is because neither of the headphones I owned fit the bill for portable use. 

I own a pair of Shure SE115s that I use almost exclusively on airplanes simply because of their great isolation, or while at the gym because they are the only IEMs I can get to stay in while running or lifting. The Shures make flying almost bearable, but their sound is muddled and the bass to me is a little harsh. This is only a minor tradeoff for the great isolation, in my opinion. The major problem with these is comfort; my ears hurt after a two hour flight. Also, they isolate so well that I can't hear whats going on around me at all, which is not ideal for everyday use. 

Next, I own a pair of Grado SR60 headphones that I really love. The sound stage is excellent and the mids and highs are very clear on my music, and the bass is present but balanced and not overbearing. The problem with these is that they are open-back so I hear everything around me and everyone around me hears my music. Not very practical in most situations. Also, the comfort on these is sometimes lacking after prolonged use. These are mainly confined to the home. 

I needed a portable headphone for use on my iPhone or laptop while I was on the go. I tried the original Tri-Port a long time ago and could not get over how comfortable it was, but I tried to resist the urge to audition the AE2 because of all the poor reviews on here. I did some research, but kept coming back to the comfort of the AE2. I finally pulled the trigger. 

Let me address some of the concerns people have about the AE2. 

Sound Quality:

It may not be as good as other headphones in this price range, but you have to realize that this is designed to be a portable headphone. I am not buying these to use at home to listen to vinyl, I am buying them to use with the digital files on my iPhone (most of which are lossless). I personally think the sound in the AE2 is very balanced. The highs and mids are very clear and the bass is not at all overpowering (a problem with the tri-ports). The soundstage is also very large and quite 3D, which I was not expecting given the poor reviews. It certainly isn't as good as an open-back headphone, but that is a tradeoff for the closed design. Again, these headphones were not designed to be audiophile "as close to a live performance as possible" type can; they are made for iDevices. Further, the isolation is good. Not IEM good, but good for a closed back. Comfort is next, and what is really important to me in a portable headphone.

Comfort:

The AE2 is hands-down one of the most comfortable headphones ever made. I will take a slight tradeoff in sound quality for a portable headphone that I can use for hours and not feel like my head is going to explode. I could never wear my Grados for as long as I can wear the Bose. I tried out a number of different closed-back headphones from Sony, AKG, Klipsch, etc. and they weren't anywhere near as good as the Bose. Again, comfort and lightness for me is a deal breaker in a portable headphone. 

Build Quality:

A lot of people give the Bose headphones flack for build quality. This is my first pair, so I can't speak to their longevity, but I find their build quality to be acceptable. Sure, they are plastic, but that is why they are so light. Again, a tradeoff. Bose could have used heavier plastic, but the headphones would not have been as comfortable. The ear cushions are great (they feel like real leather) and fit around your ears perfectly. They also form a good seal even if you are wearing glasses. 

Now to address the cord. People who bash Bose always talk about the "cheap" cord they put on the headphones. Sure, its really thin, but again it is a tradeoff for lightness and portability. Bose made headway when they made the cord replaceable, but some people still feel it is too cheap. As an owner of a pair of Grados, I can tell you that they have a nice, beefy cord. But, that cord is the one thing I detest about my Grados. It is heavy and the way it is designed, if one of the ear cups rotates, the cord gets all tangled and twisted which puts stress on the connector. Not a good design in my opinion. 

Conclusion:

Overall, I really like these AE2s. I know there will always be head-fiers who will hate Bose no matter what kind of product they put out, but I think these phones fit perfectly into the portable headphone segment. No, I would not use them as my exclusive headphone, nor would I use them at home on my hifi. They are designed to be used with iDevices and the like while on the go. For that, they fit the bill. Sure, some people complain about the price, but for the level of comfort they give and their portability, I don't think they are too overpriced (they are always on sale anyway). Yeah there are other headphones that may sound better for the price, but not that would be as comfortable or light. You could have the best sounding headphone in the world, but if it isn't comfortable, it is pointless to use. 

Anyone else want to chime in with positive experiences with the AE2? I think it is helpful for people on the forum interested in Bose products to know that they really aren't THAT bad!!!

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 27
I like mine very much. I bought a factory recondition set for $99, which in this case simply meant they were not in the original packaging: they had not been used. For that price, I think they are quite a bargain. (I only use them with my iPod--my main headphones are Stax 407's--the AE2's don't quite compare to those!)

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 27
I agree.  I have an older pair of the Bose OE Triports and I think they are pretty good portables. They don't compare to Grados or Senns, but they're good.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 27
I agree. I love my Grados when they are hooked up to my stereo at home, but they aren't the right headphone for portable use. Many Senn models are also great, but they have their niche. A lot of people bash Bose, but fail to realize that they are producing a lightweight, ultra comfortable set of headphones, not a set of headphones that are made to wear when you are trying to sit down really "listen" to the music. I only wish Grado would make detachable cords on their lower-end models, or at least some kind of swivel connector. That would make them so much better. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 27
Hey there.

I'm glad to see there are others out there whom can make logical decisions based on what is practical and true and not internet hype.

I never owned a pair of AE2's, but I had a pair of OE2's and I thought they were phenomenal.  The sound signature is close to the same as the AE2 but they are slightly veiled because they have a full cushion covering the speaker.

That being said, they were very comfortable and the removable cable was a nice option.  Not only did I feel confident with the build quality of my OE2's, I can say that they are actually much stronger than most think.

Thats a bold claim - "Stronger".  Its true though.  I took my OE2's and bent the head band the complete opposite direction from the way it should go so that my headphones made a shape like a recurve bow.  They didn't show any strain at all and as soon as I let go they went right back in place.  They didn't stretch or deform.  I wouldn't suggest anyone does this for long periods of time, but I know from this experience alone that the Bose headphones are indeed far more durable than most people claim.

I did end up returning my OE2's because in the end I felt that I should have purchased the AE2.  The AE2 was more comfortable and had a slight better signature.  The OE2 also had a tendency to hurt the cartiledge in my ear if I wore them for more than a couple hours at a time.  I took my OE2's back but when I did I ended up getting a pair of Skullcandy Aviators instead of the AE2's as planned.

At first I was disliking the aviators but after actually wearing them and hearing them, I was sold.  The AE2 is an awesome headphone and I still think it is worth the price... however, they just aren't as sexy as the aviators.

I think the OE2 and the AE2 are the most practical choices in portable headphones in that price range.  The aviators are just as comfortable with a wider sound stage - but they are not as practical by any means.

Keep spreading the good word.  Bose is not ****, just got a bad rap.  They are actually decent gear, especially if you can find them for around $100.  

Bose also has *great* customer service.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 27
Sure, if you have the means to buy many headsets and use the Bose for portable only I don't see why not. But when performance to price ratio is concerned, Bose doesn't even compete. I personally think that they're not exceptionally comfortable, having had a few hours with a QuietComfort 15. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 27
This is basically what I've been trying to say for a while about the AE2's. I feel that they shouldn't have made them more balanced because, well, they should leave that to Beyer and AKG, but given the circumstances, they're really not half bad considering that they're the only (if not only, the best) light, portable, comfy circumaural. There's the CAL, but the more I try the AE2's out, the more I warm up to them. Their only downfall is that they don't isolate enough to constitute thinking about getting a pair for myself, which is a shame because they're so comfy. Well, that, and the fact that I don't know how well the headband is reinforced. I've seen quite a few broken AE1's (which I actually prefer soundwise to the AE2 for its segment).

I'm quite disappointed by the OE's though. They're kind of like the Image One, which I'm continually trying to improve.

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #9 of 27
Ish,

I agree with your assessment. I really enjoy the AE1 sound but the OE is a bit too warm and not as comfortable. The AE1 is much more comfortable and has a more balanced sound than the Image One.

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #10 of 27
I got a pair of AE2i for Christmas. My home setup is using a Little Dot MKIV amp with Beyer DT880 Premium 600 ohm. So I have a lovely setup for home use.

I specifically chose the Bose over and above many other good headphones. Why? Comfort. Simply so comfortable. In recent times I have found comfort is a big factor when listening to music. No point having clamping forces to distract from listening pleasure. I have just sold all my in ear headphones too. Next reason. Portability and as all my devices are from Apple getting the iPod controls was a no brainier. Also makes it great for on the fly adjustments. And with my 4S and Siri very useful again. Next reason. They look good and the brand is cool. Vein I know but I'm honest about it. But my last reason was the tonal sound of the cans. I find them very natural and accurate, with enough bass. They have a very enjoyable presentation which means I listen to the music not the precision side of the audio recording. They are not as technically good as other headphones I own or have had BUT I so enjoy the sound quality. At my local Hmv I compared them to about 10 other decent cans - Sennheiser HD-25s, Denon d2000 as examples. I felt that only these 2 out of 10 sounded better but did not offer the other stuff like comfort for me. Also, if the cable breaks I can get a replacement with ease.

If you haven't listened to the new AE2s , take you portable source gear and have a listen. You will be pleasantly surprised. Are the overpriced ? Maybe but my comfort is worth paying for and well as music pleasure.

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #11 of 27
Yep.  I agree with a lot of this also.  Bose seems to be a very polarizing company.  Love or hate.  It used to be that the biggest complaints about Bose headphones was overwhelming bass.  Now the bass has been cut way back on the new models...but that hasn't quite got people to get onboard yet.  I have the AE2's and I think my only complaint about them is the mids.  I feel like Bose might have missed an opportunity to get a really good headphone out there.  I was really disappointed when I started listening to them because I was hoping that the mids would have not been so recessed.  Sigh....they are definitely not my favorite headphone...Although I really like them for slower more relaxing music.  They aren't lively enough for me to get into some upbeat rock. 

I would agree with most on the forum however when it comes to price.  I just think Bose is about 50 dollars too high.  But I don't think they are so aweful that they should be just be bashed. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #12 of 27
Although I don't own the AE2 I have considered them almost solely because I have found them by far the most comfortable headphone I have tried.  From the comments in this thread it seems many find them super comfortable and even the people that don't like them soundwise or at least not for the value I think most would agree they are comfortable.  Are there any other headphones, preferable cheaper, that have a similar comfort level to the Bose AE2?  And even which headphones would you also consider "super" comfortable in general regardless of price?  Thanks.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
Yep.  I agree with a lot of this also.  Bose seems to be a very polarizing company.  Love or hate.  It used to be that the biggest complaints about Bose headphones was overwhelming bass.  Now the bass has been cut way back on the new models...but that hasn't quite got people to get onboard yet.  I have the AE2's and I think my only complaint about them is the mids.  I feel like Bose might have missed an opportunity to get a really good headphone out there.  I was really disappointed when I started listening to them because I was hoping that the mids would have not been so recessed.  Sigh....they are definitely not my favorite headphone...Although I really like them for slower more relaxing music.  They aren't lively enough for me to get into some upbeat rock. 

I would agree with most on the forum however when it comes to price.  I just think Bose is about 50 dollars too high.  But I don't think they are so aweful that they should be just be bashed. 

See, the issue with Bose isn't necessarily that they used to have too much bass or whatever...just that they have really harsh mids and they're a bit muddy, guitars end up in a slurry wash of sound. However, for some reason I can't figure out, they still reproduce a really "fun" sound. When I want analytical, I turn to Sennheiser, when I want to RAWK I turn to Grado, and when I'm just casually listening, I go to the Bose. Not to mention they are the most comfortable, portable and durable headphones I've ever owned. (*cough* Every pair of Sennheisers I've owned excluding my HD280 and 428 have had cable problems *cough*)

And, also, a lot of the bad Bose rep, whether people here will admit it or not, comes from their horrific home audio products.  They have the cruddiest, most poorly balanced systems of all time based on gimmicks and proprietary designs prohibitive to upgrading that they mark up to superfluous levels; and they make HORRIBLE products like the VideoWave.  But they make decent headphones.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #14 of 27
I agree, the quality of their home audio and the endless gimicks have tarnished the company, possibly beyond repair. Their headphones would be okay for the above stated uses if they were in the $25-50 range. The current pricing is laughable. They are clearly trying to take full advantage of any Demi ing credibility or customer ignorance.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
I agree, the quality of their home audio and the endless gimicks have tarnished the company, possibly beyond repair. Their headphones would be okay for the above stated uses if they were in the $25-50 range. The current pricing is laughable. They are clearly trying to take full advantage of any Demi ing credibility or customer ignorance.

I'm pretty sure the materials they use on the headphones is worth more than $50 alone. I think the AE2 and OE2 need to be $99.99, the QC3 $249.99 and the QC15 $299.99.

Another problem with Bose is how pretentious their employees are.  Whenever the Bose rep comes into Magnolia, we always have fun with him. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back