Boots..not shoes
Nov 18, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #16 of 25
I'll throw in a recommendation for Timberlands as well. I just bought a new pair to replace an ailing pair of Wolverines at home and I love them. They are wearing very well and are very comfortable. I was outside with them at nearly -20 F and the steel safety toe didn't make my toes uncomfortable at all as they do on some of the cheaper safety toe boots I've owned.

Nov 27, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #17 of 25
Another vote for Blundstones, I own five pairs.
My newest pair is the olive green suede 500 series. Crazy Horse brown is now available; I'll have to get a pair. Another member posted about RM Williams; I have seen those in store and they are the step up from the Blunnies, but they sell for $450 vs. $190 for the Blunnies. I will one day order a pair of the "reference" RM Williams.
smily_headphones1.gif

ralph228643_129639_jb.jpg

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #20 of 25
When you mentioned boots, my first thought was Doc Marten's (I have a 8hole pair that keeps on walkin'). They have other styles but I prefer the classic look.

My vote for a pair of Blunderstone for the style you are after, my friend has one and they are very comfortable. You may also like the look of a pair of Clark's Wallabees, a true classic and super comfortable.

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you mentioned boots, my first thought was Doc Marten's (I have a 8hole pair that keeps on walkin'). They have other styles but I prefer the classic look.

My vote for a pair of Blunderstone for the style you are after, my friend has one and they are very comfortable. You may also like the look of a pair of Clark's Wallabees, a true classic and super comfortable.

I don't rate Doc Martens highly. A thin grip so if you do a lot of walking it doesn't take long for it to be a flat sole. The leather cracks I used proper treatment. Overpriced.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #23 of 25
I like my boots from L.L. Bean (made by Chippewa Boots) a lot. Definitely uncomfortable at first, but some thicker socks and replacement insoles help.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have Merrill, Vasque, Timberland, Dunham, Clark and Hi-Tech boots. Based on my experience I believe one can find the best value (comfort, price, looks, and waterproofing) in the Dunham line. I have only had them for a few months so: 1) I cannot comment on their durability 2) The fact that they are my most recent addition may be influencing my judgement.

They are very affordable for waterproof membrane technology and come in a variety of widths. They are sold by New Balance dealers.

I've been interested in Dunham boots. I wear 11 4E shoes and most that size don't fit me. Unfortunately the New Balance stores near me don't carry 11 4E so I'd have to mail order. I hate mail ordering shoes because I usually have to return them.

Last time I bought boots, it took months to find a pair that fit. My current pair is EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports), but it's Goretex lined and are too warm to wear in the summer.

I also have a 25 year old pair of Raichle mountaineering boots that seem like they weigh 5 pound a piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back