Boostaroo comments, again
Sep 11, 2002 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

theREALsean

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I am considering buying a boostaroo amp. Well, I am going to. I just want to know what to expect. It will be used with my iPod and a set of Koss PortaPros. Many of you audiophreaks (justin kiddin') say its the worst invention and you should use a $75+ amp on a pair of $20 headphone for portable use. No worries, I plan to get a pair of Grado SR80s and have a CHA 47 amp built and used with the pod and my computer and other stuff.

On Boostaroo's website <http://www.Boostaroo.com>, there is an immense amount of good testimonials dealing with the product.
<http://www.boostaroo.com/testimonials.html>
Such as, "...I eventually happened across the boostaroo web site and after looking at it repeatedly for about 2 months and reading the reviews, I eventually decided to take the plunge and order it. When I received it, my first impression was "WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?". It was remarkable, the increase in quality and sheer volume was fantastic...", reported Gordon Tait on the 12th of August, 2002.

I am just wondering if it is as good as the AVERAGE user says it to be. Not the average audiophreak. If you are going to say anything about it, can you tell us the equipment you used with it? Thanks much for you support and consideration.

Sep 11, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 11
Please, don't waste your money. Your iPod will sound better itself. Save your money until you can get a real amp. The Boostaroo will do two things: increase the volume, and degrade the sound. Since the iPod amp is pretty good, I can't imagine wanting more volume, and who wants worse sound?

Sep 11, 2002 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 11
My REAL judgment of the Boostaroo:

Crappy Output + Louder Volume = Amplified Pile of Crap

Moreover, the Boostaroo doesn't work well with high-fidelity headphones; they are designed strictly for amplifying those freebie crappy stock headphones that you get with a Walkman player (yep, most of which are low-efficiency and wretched-sounding).
tongue.gif

Sep 11, 2002 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 11
And another drawback of the Boostaroo that I forgot to mention in my last post:

The Boostaroo has no volume control at all, so it doesn't work at all on line-outs of any portable device that has one (unless the line-out itself is volume-controlled). In other words, for most devices, you'll have to use the crappy-sounding headphone-out in order to feed the Boostaroo.

Sep 11, 2002 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 11
Perhaps have a crack at making one?

For all but the most cack-handed, soldering is as hard as making up something about the V700DJ's...

ehehehehehe

Sep 11, 2002 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Since no one here will say anything POSITIVE about the amp. what should I get then?

Ahem. I seem to be the lone, "semi"-proponent of the Boostaroo, so I will speak up.

They way I look at any system, is to consider the balance of components that make it up. I used the Boostaroo for some time, from the pretty ok-sounding (if underpowered) headphone out of my old Panasonic PCDP and a pair of Koss SportaPros. For the $10 I paid for it, I used the sh@#t out of it, and enjoyed every listening minute. Do the SportaPros sound better when amped using the line-out of the same PCDP? YES, of course! But within the context of that particular system, I consider those components balanced. And for the $$ it cost, it rocked!

Basically, Boostaroo will make a low-end portable system (PCDP + quality, yet inexpensive 'phones like the Koss lineup) sound "better" than the stock headphone out. Is that "best" or "ideal"? Of course not.

If I had an iPod, I would not be considering any external amp. To me, the iPod (and Apple in general) is as much about elegance within hi-level functionality. Jumbled wires and connectors do not say "elegance" to me. The internal amp of the iPod should be pretty powerful, and is reported to sound good. For a little more than what it will cost for the PortaPros, Grado SR80's, & a DIY CHA-47, you should just get a pair of Ety ER4P's and be done with it. That seems like the epitome of elegance, function, and balance. Expensive - yes. Worth it - probably, if you can afford it. But if you have an iPod, you should not be looking to skimp on cans, or use a Boostaroo.

As usual, just MO.
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 11
Good points! But I don't know about a set of freakin' Ety ER4P's. Then I will will like "****, this sounds no good because my mp3s are not high quality." I've never listened to them, though. So, that could make a difference. I'm just afraid if i DO try then I will want to buy them. *shrugs* If I buy them from headroom and use them, I can always return them, right?

damnit! now u got me thinkin', and that's not always good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back