Bookshelf / Standmount Speaker Decisions
Jun 30, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #46 of 55
If you like consider the Genelec line, I use the 8020's. They are built like tanks and have a very high pedigree. Love them, and though they are smallish there bass is VERY good. Check em out.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #48 of 55
The Fritz speakers are great. I was only truly impressed by their models with the Scanspeak woofer and tweeter, though.

Ascend Sierra-1's are fantastic for sub-$1k and get rave reviews at this price range. A pair of Onix Reference 1 MKIIs also perform on the same level as the Sierra-1 and a little above the Studio 20 (IMHO) but cost less than half the money (used). In particular the Reference 1s are a little brighter than the Sierra-1s, more forward, and perhaps more detailed. You could then put the saved money into a nice sealed subwoofer. A sub would REALLY help acoustic and classical IMHO.

If you're pleased with the Fritz speakers I'd recommend making the jump to their Scanspeak units. They should completely satisfy you and leave you with no desire to upgrade for many decades.

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #51 of 55
I've decided to keep these.  They sound really great, as good as my current room set-up will allow.  Not lost on me is the fact that they are demos, and not pristine - a plus at the moment.  The price reflects the condition, and I don't have to worry about the first scratch - a plus with a 5 year old in the house!  For those interested, here are the drivers:

Mid-Bass
http://www.lyeco.com.tw/specs/dynavox/LW6004PMR.htm

and

Tweeters
http://www.morelhifi.com/products/pdf/mdt%2032s.pdf

Crossover is a first order series crossover designed and voiced by Fritz.

A second plus is that the cabinet volume, or at least the width and depth, are the same as the Carbon 7's.  I can likely upgrade to the ScanSpeak drivers later if I desire, with some help on the crossover from Fritz, and have a fine set of drivers for a DIY project in the future.

Jul 3, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #53 of 55
congratz on your new speakers, if they sound as good as they look they're sure winners. also the fact that the drivers can be upgraded seems like a great deal. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #55 of 55

Quote:
Here's some photos.  Fritz' speakers usually use magnetic grill attachment with the magnets under the veneer.  These have the usual pegs, a nod to my 5 year old pistol of a daughter!

Finish is a hand rubbed medium dark mahogany.  They've been around a bit, but look great from about 5 or 6 feet away.  Come to think of it, so have I, and so do I...

I've experimented with position a bit more, and with another pair of speakers in the room.  The room and placement is the imaging issue, I believe.  The speakers themselves are great.  The drivers are Morel silk domes, I think the MDT 32S, and I believe Dynavox LW6004, though I'm not sure yet.

Rear ported, single binding posts, bass down to 31.5 hz, then pretty much goes away - a bit of volume at 25 hz, and a weeze at 20 hz.

Apologies for the photo quality - iPhone pics...

man i bet those punch

congrats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back