Bookshelf Speakers
Aug 11, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #76 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Deft Satin Clear Lacquer spray, I don't have too much time to get this done so I'm keeping it simple
smily_headphones1.gif

Pred: hope you don't mind me quasi-hijacking your thread
redface.gif

Not a problem. It is probably best to keep a minimum of non-headphone related threads anyways.

Currently I am stuck until my jasper jig and forstner bit arrive (which was supposed to be today) so I have been trying to decide how I want to case up the amp. Unfortunately I am running out of desk space so I decided to make the case out of MDF and put it under my monitor (it will be slightly bigger than necessary, but take up significantly less space).

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #77 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a problem. It is probably best to keep a minimum of non-headphone related threads anyways.

Currently I am stuck until my jasper jig and forstner bit arrive (which was supposed to be today) so I have been trying to decide how I want to case up the amp. Unfortunately I am running out of desk space so I decided to make the case out of MDF and put it under my monitor (it will be slightly bigger than necessary, but take up significantly less space).

Or make the speakers active speakers? with the amp inside?

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #79 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or make the speakers active speakers? with the amp inside?

The audiosector boards would definitely fit (though I would have to find a smaller trafo), but since I am building an amp capable for slightly larger speakers I want to be able to use for any future projects.

In any case "designing" an enclosure is a good excuse to play around with QCad.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #81 of 89
Quote:

Try to keep the width roughly the same unless you plan on changing the baffle step comp.

I meant amp enclosure, changing the speaker design would be a good bit beyond my abilities (to do it correctly, I mean).

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #82 of 89
Changing the speaker design is a good bit beyond my abilities as well unfortunately. I've also been trying to pick up some CAD skills since it seems that it will make the design phase smoother.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #83 of 89
Quote:

Changing the speaker design is a good bit beyond my abilities as well unfortunately. I've also been trying to pick up some CAD skills since it seems that it will make the design phase smoother.

QCad has been working out well for me so far (though it is limited to 2D), but I wish Solidworks or Sketchup were available for Linux. Eventually I plan on moving to VariCAD once I need something more powerful.

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #85 of 89
Little preview of my build...
suw076.jpg

25hfmno.jpg

Drivers are Pioneer B20 fullrange, with a helper ribbon tweeter. If I were to do it again I would have saved the tweeter money and just bought nicer Fostex drivers.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #86 of 89
That's a mighty large bookshelf speaker you have there!
wink.gif
Still, a good build. Let us know how it sounds when complete!

I just put two coats of deft lacquer spray only to find out it's almost out and the hobby shop doesn't have anymore in stock. I'll have to use some Japanese spray, however they only have flat and satin whereas I've been using semi-gloss. Hopefully the difference won't be too bad. Also, I found out sanding sealer is great!

After a couple coats:
3816860865_0a32a6d240.jpg

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #87 of 89
Past few days I haven't been able to get much work done, but all the panels are finished (finally received the jig and forstner bit, surprisingly the jig was very painless to use and once I got everything dialed in I made perfect cuts) and hopefully I will be able to glue them up tomorrow.

Unfortunately it isn't going so well for the amp because my audiosector boards haven't arrived (the AnTek trafo did though, and they are a very nice company to work with even if they don't have a very good ordering system) and I really want to get everything done before thursday.

It is quite evident why sane people simply buy their speakers though (not that this will be the last pair I make or anything
wink.gif
).

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #88 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Past few days I haven't been able to get much work done, but all the panels are finished (finally received the jig and forstner bit, surprisingly the jig was very painless to use and once I got everything dialed in I made perfect cuts) and hopefully I will be able to glue them up tomorrow.

Unfortunately it isn't going so well for the amp because my audiosector boards haven't arrived (the AnTek trafo did though, and they are a very nice company to work with even if they don't have a very good ordering system) and I really want to get everything done before thursday.

It is quite evident why sane people simply buy their speakers though (not that this will be the last pair I make or anything
wink.gif
).

They're just missing out then...I find DIY much more rewarding, but there isn't instant gratification, and sometime projects can drag on and on waiting for one part.

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #89 of 89
I love DIY! At first it's rough, but once you get more experience it gets easier. I'll be working on my bargain mini's and SR-71's today, hope to get some good progress
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been eyeing the Recession Buster Reference kit on madisound, since the value is really nice given that the cost of the two scanspeak woofers is worth about the cost of the entire kit...

RBR-KIT, the “Recession Buster Reference” Kit, Pair from Madisound

Update on my bargain mini's:
Drilled and sanded the tweeter holes to size...those were tough going, sanding the 35mm to 36mm without sanding too much! I found out the hard way that the maple veneer I used is very soft; the bottom has a few dents from the uneven table surface I set it on.
frown.gif
The movers also packed up my soldering iron so I'll probably be putting my xo's together with a borrowed radio shack iron
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back