bookshelf speakers vs studio monitors?
Feb 11, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #241 of 286
I've already read through that, it's why I chose the a1b

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #243 of 286
if you want serious bass in a 2-way, ime, you need at least 8 inch woofer.
With 5 inch, you will want a good subwoofer, but even then, the mid bass will be missing some grunt that a 8 inch delivers.

I have gone through tons of monitors:
focal cms 50
salk continuum
yorkville ysm1p

So far, my two favorites that an satisfy me are:
dynaco a 25 with 10 inch woofer
ref 3a decapo be with a 8 inch woofer.

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #244 of 286
Hi guys I know this thread has been inactive for sometime but I'm hoping to get some advice on my next desktop speakers. I'm currently using a Harmon Kardon Soundstick III and am looking to upgrade it. My setup is Sabre U2 DAC --> Bravo V2 amplifier. I'm not really sure whether this is a suitable set up desktop audio? But I'm looking at bookshelf speakers, possibly the LSR305 or something similar, within the $250 price range.

I would mainly be using the monitors for games, listening. Not much of studio recording and stuff like that. And I'm worried that studio monitors might be a little too neutral for the activities I'm using it for? I would prefer a slightly brighter sounding speaker, possibly like my AKGQ701. 

Any advice?

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #245 of 286
the best speakers 2.1 systems for music i know for the price is Swan M10...... the most musical desktop .... Swan has some desktop for gaming also.... My Swan m10 transformed itself with a good cable ( Morrow ) and a preamplification ( had the Ember project for that).... The Swan M10 are powered by gainclone amp...I had owned the Bravo and you may use his preamp function with the Swans...If you want to upgrade your amp purchasing The Ember will be a good idea... The ember can manage ANY headphone...The hifimediy dac is very useful.... But if you want to upgrade the Stanley Beresford Dac are a most.... best regards

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #246 of 286
the best speakers 2.1 systems for music i know for the price is Swan M10...... the most musical desktop .... Swan has some desktop for gaming also.... My Swan m10 transformed itself with a good cable ( Morrow ) and a preamplification ( had the Ember project for that).... The Swan M10 are powered by gainclone amp...I had owned the Bravo and you may use his preamp function with the Swans...If you want to upgrade your amp purchasing The Ember will be a good idea... The ember can manage ANY headphone...The hifimediy dac is very useful.... But if you want to upgrade the Stanley Beresford Dac are a most.... best regards

A $200 RCA interconnect for $120 speakers :eek:

There are better speakers in the $300 range than those Swans which would sound better with a $10 pair of RCAs. :cool:

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #247 of 286
A $200 RCA interconnect for $120 speakers
eek.gif

There are better speakers in the $300 range than those Swans which would sound better with a $10 pair of RCAs.
cool.gif

first: the interconnect cost me 79 dollars (used) and its made difference with the headphone listening ( hifiman) not only with the swans....and the basic morrow cost 40 dollars....

second: The swans cost is 100 dollars us.... an the marketing in general for desktop speakers target game player and cinema viewer not audiophile listerner of music in the first place...This Swan M10 is an exception below 300 hundred dollars speakers...

third: its make perfect sense to buy product that will upgrade in the future with other element of the gear system

this is the reason for my purchase of good cable....and that made a good  difference....ifyou prefer  cheap rca i will not object go with that....

p.s. i dont want to buy a ton of headphones and a ton of amps ..... I want the best for a minimum cost...and i am satisfied with my present gear..... After hours of reading reviews i had great success with my purchase in audio......next upgrade will be the last.... cheap price old stax...and Swan top model desktop speakers or mini maggies....I am interested more in the music than to try  new gear....

best regards

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #248 of 286

Then what's the next one after the Swan M10? and would studio monitors suit the activities that i use my speakers for?

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #249 of 286
  Then what's the next one after the Swan M10? and would studio monitors suit the activities that i use my speakers for?

for music swan at 100 us dollars is impossible to beat......studio monitors are passive you must buy an amp......Swans are powered by an internal amp.... If gaming is your main activity i recommend to you the swan systems for gaming :  Swans GT1000 2.1 Game Theatre...

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #250 of 286
  for music swan at 100 us dollars is impossible to beat......studio monitors are passive you must buy an amp......Swans are powered by an internal amp.... If gaming is your main activity i recommend to you the swan systems for gaming :  Swans GT1000 2.1 Game Theatre...

Studio monitors often are not passive; they tend to be powered speakers.

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #251 of 286
Studio monitors often are not passive; they tend to be powered speakers.

yes its true...you had a point....For myself i prefered powered speakers....The Swan M10 are powered and they are not monitors but a 2.1 systems without a sub but with a  midwoofer....hence more for music than for games...

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #252 of 286
Richard51 what ARE you talking about? Swans are home high end multimedia speakers from my perspective compared to active monitors which are designed exclusively for critical listening, and are  just as capable for gaming too.  Monitors can also be hooked up to a sub or used without, and with some careful shopping can offer you 10x the bang for buck.  Swans remind me of some other high street brands with a higher emphasis on style>substance.  If you compared some Swan monitors to similar priced JBL, Mackie, KRK or other brand studio monitors you would most likely change your opinion.

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #253 of 286
  Richard51 what ARE you talking about? Swans are home high end multimedia speakers from my perspective compared to active monitors which are designed exclusively for critical listening, and are  just as capable for gaming too.  Monitors can also be hooked up to a sub or used without, and with some careful shopping can offer you 10x the bang for buck.  Swans remind me of some other high street brands with a higher emphasis on style>substance.  If you compared some Swan monitors to similar priced JBL, Mackie, KRK or other brand studio monitors you would most likely change your opinion.

my Swan m10 cost me 100 us dollars....and their potential upgrading with other par of my gear dont compare with many similar priced gear....

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #255 of 286
You want accuracy? A quality studio monitor is the way to go. A quality studio monitor will do all types of music & gaming equally well.

I have a set of M-Audio BX5's along with a Tannoy TS10 both modified for higher resolution without affecting frequency balance & the results are incredibly good. I have listened gear that cost tens of thousands of dollars & was not as pleased as I am with this setup which cost me less than 1 thousand & that includes the cost of the parts needed for the modifications. Every one that heard my system has been amazed by the sound I'm getting from this system. Truth is that even though these are low end studio monitors thier drivers & amps had a lot of untapped potential. I was fortunately able to draw that potential out of them. These are true studio monitors with active crossovers & biamplification inside.

Note that not all studio monitors are setup to be neutral sounding so buyer beware. The original BX5's were with the exception that they lacked in the lower midbas & deep bass frequencies which I made up for with my Tannoy TS10 subwoofer. Result is a very well balanced system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back