bookshelf speakers vs studio monitors?
Feb 9, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #196 of 286

There are an awful lot of good options in this price range. I'm using M-Audio BX8D2's with great success. There are apparently some complaints about a buzz/hum problem from the tweeters, but mine are dead quiet until you put your ear within an inch or so of the tweeter (I use good quality RCA to XLR cables from 'SignalCable' if that makes a difference). I especially like them at the price (I paid around $360 for the pair).

I bought them mostly because I don't want to use a subwoofer in my computer system. They really have a nice clean, punchy bass. They aren't a one trick pony either. I've been very surprised by the quality and subtlety of their presentation in general. Imaging and soundstaging are very precise. With proper placement, the soundstage extends slightly beyond the speakers. Installing a set of Auralex ProPads helped to tighten up the bass even more, and helped to clean up the entire presentation up into the lower midrange. Helped to add a bit of focus as well. 

I also have a Pulse X on order. Can't wait to run the monitors fully balanced when it shows up, I already have a pair of balanced xlr cables ready and waiting!

i just got the mopads they seem good enough, couldnt figure my self spending $150 for something like that lol.

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #199 of 286
Will I be disappointed going from HE-500 to the Arx A1b speakers?

Oh yeah, and can you think of anything used at the same price that would be better? :p

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #200 of 286
  Will I be disappointed going from HE-500 to the Arx A1b speakers?

Oh yeah, and can you think of anything used at the same price that would be better? :p

It depends on what you are looking for. With small cheap speakers such as these you will undoubted be losing quite a bit of detail and resolution as well as bass that does not extend as deep nor hits as fast, you will gain a much larger soundstage and better imaging. The music will "feel" more natural, and for obvious reasons the bass response will create pleasant vibrations that you can feel. After buying a pair of Adam Audio A3X's I find myself barely using my B&O H6's at home anymore except during the night when I don't want to bother my parents, as I much prefer the larger soundstage and naturality of speakers over the high resolution of headphones.

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #201 of 286
I definitely could care less about detail/resolution compared to good tonality and balanced frequency response and crisp/tightness to the sound. Crisp treble with punchy/tight lows is what I mean. I can deal with lower resolution however.

Would you guys choose towers over bookshelves at this price point? Magnepan mmgs?

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #202 of 286
I definitely could care less about detail/resolution compared to good tonality and balanced frequency response and crisp/tightness to the sound. Crisp treble with punchy/tight lows is what I mean. I can deal with lower resolution however.

Would you guys choose towers over bookshelves at this price point? Magnepan mmgs?

I chose small studio monitors over larger ones/floorstanders for a few simple reasons:
1. I don't have room for them in my roughly 20x12 foot bedroom.
2. Quality floorstanding speakers cost volumes more than bookshelf studio monitors (high end bookshelves can be had for $1500-$2000; 3/4 way full size speakers can cost $10 000 - the sky's the limit)
3. Room treatment is necessary for large speakers, it is less of a factor for bookshelf speakers you will be using at your desk (near-field monitors).

I personally dont own magnepan's or any electrostatic speakers for that matter, but an audiophile friend of my father's has a pair of Martin Logan Summit X's and having experienced them several times while over at his place for dinner, I can say that the level of tonality and detail/resolution is superior to speakers with dynamic drivers at the same price range. I would think they can play with the big boys costing twice their price.

To answer your question, at the price you're looking for ($300 was it) bookshelf speakers are definitely the way to go. Any floorstanders in that range will be absolute crap if I do say so myself.

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #203 of 286

If you could care less about the detail then electrostatics are the way to go. But they sound best with tube amps. If you couldN'T care less about detail, then go with a traditional driver. But realistically, good detail is part of the tone and balanced frequency response. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #204 of 286
What L0SLobos said about $300 towers. Even at $600 (the cost of the Maggie MMG), bookshelves may be a better option. More drivers do not inherently make a speaker better. Towers often have the advantage of better low end extension due to the additional driver(s), and often they will have better dynamics than bookshelves in the same speaker line (more drivers can handle more SPL) and thus fill a larger room better.

However, at a given price point, you would often have to go down a speaker line class compared to a bookshelf at the same price. So you have to look for very good deals. The only one I know of right now from a brick and mortar store speaker brand is a little more than those Maggies: FOCAL Chorus 717V and FOCAL Chorus 814V. At those prices, you could also look into EMP Tek E55Ti and Arx A5s. Of course then you would be close to the price of Philharmonic Philharmonitors or Ascend Sierra1s, which both get rave reviews for bookshelves at under $1000.

Best thing to do is stay with your budget :wink:

As far as the Maggies, I don't own any either, but I understand they are more sensitive to placement than many other speakers. You might want to research that before spending more time considering them.

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #205 of 286
I've heard several sets of Magnepans, and yes, like all electrostats they are directional. So if you step out of the sweet spot, you loose a ton of the audio. But if they are set up up right and you are in the sweet spot they are fantastic!

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #206 of 286
I've heard several sets of Magnepans, and yes, like all electrostats they are directional. So if you step out of the sweet spot, you loose a ton of the audio. But if they are set up up right and you are in the sweet spot they are fantastic!
Since you have experience with them (I have also heard my cousins 1.6/qr off of my emo) would you pick the mmg over bookshelves?

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #207 of 286
It depends what you listen too, what you will amp them with and what you want to hear. If you want lowend, then no, really good detail then yes. Solid state amp, no, tube amp, yes. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #208 of 286
  It depends what you listen too, what you will amp them with and what you want to hear. If you want lowend, then no, really good detail then yes. Solid state amp, no, tube amp, yes. 

Amping with Emotiva mini-x, I don't listen to much classical / jazz, but low end can be made up for with a sub in the future.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #210 of 286

That would explain why the 1.6/qr still sounds bright on my cousin's vintage McIntosh 200wpc peak amp..

So I guess I'm still set on the A1b then :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back