bookshelf speakers vs studio monitors?
Feb 8, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #181 of 286
Might be the best place to ask this. I'm looking for a set of 5" or possibly 8" speakers that have balanced inputs so I can run them from my Geek Pulse X when it comes in. I have the Audioengine A2 currently and I will be using the larger set as a compliment to the smaller A2. Ideally I wouldn't break the bank with the pair, maybe $5-600 tops. Thoughts?

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #182 of 286
I've come across these as well so far, any opinions?

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers/Level-THREE-Bookshelf-Speakers

Another one I'd consider is the Energy RC-10

Still have my eye on these though:

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?products_id=65

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #183 of 286
The RC-10s are an excellent value at Fry's current price of $200, although they are not as neutral as the Ascends or Arx nor quite as resolving. They have a warm sound, and the tweeter is not quite as refined to me.

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #184 of 286
Hmm... Between the arx, rc-10 and the behringer (I've seen this all over the place when looking through forums) which would you choose for near field listening? I've seen the rc-10 praised so much that I feel like it will be the best one. I also read that although the bass of the arx a1b is great, the crossover at the upper frequencies is off. Coming from the he500 being pretty much perfect in treble to me, I think a somewhat warm sound is fine, though the arx I read is also already somewhat warm, so are the rc-10s extremely warm or what?

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #185 of 286
Hmm... Between the arx, rc-10 and the behringer (I've seen this all over the place when looking through forums) which would you choose for near field listening? I've seen the rc-10 praised so much that I feel like it will be the best one. I also read that although the bass of the arx a1b is great, the crossover at the upper frequencies is off. Coming from the he500 being pretty much perfect in treble to me, I think a somewhat warm sound is fine, though the arx I read is also already somewhat warm, so are the rc-10s extremely warm or what?

Arx over the RC-10. I used to have the RC-10s in my computer setup, then the Energy Veritas V5.1s, and now finally the Ascends. To me, each speaker was a bit better overall than the previous, and I had a chance to listen to the Arx since, and I definitely think that they are a better speaker than the RC-10. Next step up in class.

The Arx are not warm. The RC-10s are definitely considered a warm speaker.

RC-10 shows a midbass hump and a dip in the upper mids (thus the warmth):

Arx is more linear

and then here are the Ascends, also more linear than the RC-10s:

Unless someone has a trained ear (e.g., speaker designer, pro audio engineers, etc.), I would not trust subjective listening judgements on how a speaker that measures fairly neutral like that is supposedly colored warm or cold. Room acoustics and speaker placements (and choice of source material and personal listening preferences, of course) are far more likely the factors in how the speaker seems colored, and will also influence how it sounds to you in your room. So subjective interpretations of frequency response are even less trustworthy when it comes to speakers than headphones because very few people are listening to speakers in a properly setup room.

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #186 of 286
Arx over the RC-10. I used to have the RC-10s in my computer setup, then the Energy Veritas V5.1s, and now finally the Ascends. To me, each speaker was a bit better overall than the previous, and I had a chance to listen to the Arx since, and I definitely think that they are a better speaker than the RC-10. Next step up in class.

The Arx are not warm. The RC-10s are definitely considered a warm speaker.

RC-10 shows a midbass hump and a dip in the upper mids (thus the warmth):

Arx is more linear

and then here are the Ascends, also more linear than the RC-10s:

Unless someone has a trained ear (e.g., speaker designer, pro audio engineers, etc.), I would not trust subjective listening judgements on how a speaker that measures fairly neutral like that is supposedly colored warm or cold. Room acoustics and speaker placements (and choice of source material and personal listening preferences, of course) are far more likely the factors in how the speaker seems colored, and will also influence how it sounds to you in your room. So subjective interpretations of frequency response are even less trustworthy when it comes to speakers than headphones because very few people are listening to speakers in a properly setup room.

I gotta say, that bass is so linear...same with the rest of it. Wow.

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #187 of 286
I gotta say, that bass is so linear...same with the rest of it. Wow.

Yeah. These are the real deal. Most people just don't know about these speaker brands because they are an Internet only, just like your Emotiva amp, which is a great piece of technology for the price, too.

Of course if you go with the Arx, the next step after that is an SVS sealed sub. I have my SB-1000 (which also has an uber linear response) running hot so that I get extra bass emphasis starting in the midbass range where my crossover is set. :D

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #188 of 286
Yeah. These are the real deal. Most people just don't know about these speaker brands because they are an Internet only, just like your Emotiva amp, which is a great piece of technology for the price, too.

Of course if you go with the Arx, the next step after that is an SVS sealed sub. I have my SB-1000 (which also has an uber linear response) running hot so that I get extra bass emphasis starting in the midbass range where my crossover is set.
biggrin.gif

I think I'm sold on the Arx... Just gotta sell some things for the $$ and it'll be mine
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #189 of 286
One more thing, would a USED pair of Emotiva airmotiv 4 put up a battle? I know they're active, but I do read that active have their advantages as well.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #190 of 286
One more thing, would a USED pair of Emotiva airmotiv 4 put up a battle? I know they're active, but I do read that active have their advantages as well.

I like the Airmotiv 4s. They are a very good $350 speaker/amplifier set. But they are only 4" driver speakers. What you are looking with the A1b and the mini-x is a very good $550 speaker/amplifier set. If you want to look at something comparable, try the Airmotiv 5. I haven't heard them, but I think would be the more competitive comparison. Or the Adam F5s.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #191 of 286
Well since it's for near field use, would the size difference show that much?

But that's true...with the a1b woofer comparable to 6.5" woofers a 4" would sound weak in comparison.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #192 of 286
Well since it's for near field use, would the size difference show that much?

But that's true...with the a1b woofer comparable to 6.5" woofers a 4" would sound weak in comparison.

Not familiar with the particular speakers, but yes, size does matter even in nearfield. Last time I used a speaker with 4" woofers, They sounded fantastic at typical volumes, but on occasion when I would turn them up, they would compress and not sound so great. My current nearfields are B&W 805 with a 6.5" woofer and I can't drive them to compression at an level I could tolerate.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #193 of 286
Not familiar with the particular speakers, but yes, size does matter even in nearfield. Last time I used a speaker with 4" woofers, They sounded fantastic at typical volumes, but on occasion when I would turn them up, they would compress and not sound so great. My current nearfields are B&W 805 with a 6.5" woofer and I can't drive them to compression at an level I could tolerate.

Agreed.

Also, my experience with the Airmotivs was that while the bass didn't sound bad, it was not as textured as I would have liked.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #194 of 286
Agreed.

Also, my experience with the Airmotivs was that while the bass didn't sound bad, it was not as textured as I would have liked.

Alright, thanks for the tips and help with deciding so far. Arx does seem hard to beat :p Just wish they would look a little nicer

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #195 of 286
  Might be the best place to ask this. I'm looking for a set of 5" or possibly 8" speakers that have balanced inputs so I can run them from my Geek Pulse X when it comes in. I have the Audioengine A2 currently and I will be using the larger set as a compliment to the smaller A2. Ideally I wouldn't break the bank with the pair, maybe $5-600 tops. Thoughts?

There are an awful lot of good options in this price range. I'm using M-Audio BX8D2's with great success. There are apparently some complaints about a buzz/hum problem from the tweeters, but mine are dead quiet until you put your ear within an inch or so of the tweeter (I use good quality RCA to XLR cables from 'SignalCable' if that makes a difference). I especially like them at the price (I paid around $360 for the pair).

I bought them mostly because I don't want to use a subwoofer in my computer system. They really have a nice clean, punchy bass. They aren't a one trick pony either. I've been very surprised by the quality and subtlety of their presentation in general. Imaging and soundstaging are very precise. With proper placement, the soundstage extends slightly beyond the speakers. Installing a set of Auralex ProPads helped to tighten up the bass even more, and helped to clean up the entire presentation up into the lower midrange. Helped to add a bit of focus as well. 

I also have a Pulse X on order. Can't wait to run the monitors fully balanced when it shows up, I already have a pair of balanced xlr cables ready and waiting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back