bookshelf speakers vs studio monitors?
Feb 3, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #151 of 286
ill look into it. might just keep my desk i have and buy some speakers stands for like $100. sweetwaters buy one get one free really opened things up for me. my refund is suposed to be here before the 6th. so this is going to be a fun week.

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #154 of 286
I didn't have a chance to read through this entire thread, but it seems to have evolved quite a bit from the first few pages. For the $500 price limit, I would definitely go with Active Monitors. The problem with making a comparison to passive speakers in that price range is that you have to compare the active speakers to a pair of lesser priced passive speakers, as you have to include the price of amplification and volume control (pre-amplification) in the total system price.

I didn't want to have a separate sub in my computer system, so I decided to go with a larger pair of studio monitors. I went with the M-Audio BX8 D2's. They use 8" drivers, and are easily the best value audio purchase that I've ever made! I use them with a fairly high quality Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card and Jriver Media Player (I have quite a bit of high-res music). They are very resolving of low level details, have great dynamic impact and pretty decent mid to low bass (down to ~ 40Hz), and a surprisingly wide and deep soundstage. I was lucky in that I only paid $380 for the pair. The addition of Auralex ProPads had a fairly significant effect in tightening up the bass, mid-bass and low midrange.

I couldn't be happier with the M-Audio BX8 D2's for the price! Once I get my new DAC (LH Labs Pulse with Femto clock, upgraded op-amps & LPS) I might be tempted to sell the M-Audios and upgrade to a pair of Dynaudio DBM 50's for ~ $800/pair.  

To give you some perspective on the size (which undoubtedly wouldn't work for everyone) here is a picture of my setup. The speakers are beside a 27" monitor if that helps to give some perspective.

Here is a link to a review:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/m_audio_bx8_d2_e.html

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #155 of 286
  Hmm the review for Adam A3x was pretty clarifying. I think I'll get those and use the leftover money for a good dac unit. What dac's do you recommend in the $300-$600 region?

Might as well go balanced since A3X have balanced connectors.  I'll either go for Gungnir for $700+ or, if you can wait until July, Pulse X also for $700+ with LPS should be a great candidate.  These are $100 over your budget but they will be well worth it.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #156 of 286
I'd like to explain the definition between active and passive systems in some detail because it is clear that not everyone posting in this thread understands the difference.

It has nothing to do with the location of the amplifiers. It is dependent on the type of crossover used. The part that divides up the input signal so that the high notes go to the little speakers and the low notes go to the big speakers.

In an active system the crossover comes before the amplifiers. Each size speaker has a separate amplifier. In a passive system there is an amplifier and the crossover then divides up the frequencies. A powered system is exactly the same as a passive system except the amplifier is stuffed into one of the boxes.

It should be clear that an active system presents many potential advantages, except maybe cost! In fact both pro and domestic manufacturers have always understood this. High end expensive (and powerful) systems have almost always been active for over 3 decades. Genelec didn't invent actives. They were just the first to realise that if they miniaturised everything they could fit it all into one box. (digital switching amps made this practical)  Hence the quality of actives with added convenience  and some cost saving. Really big and powerful high end systems are almost always active. It's just that the amplifiers and crossover units are not necessarily co-located in the same enclosure.

Apologies for the pedantry but it's important we all understand the terms we are using. Carry on...

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #157 of 286
I ordered the JBL LSR305s. decided to go with the smaller ones. got them $242 shipped and since sweetwater is in the same state ill get them tomorrow. pretty excited. decided to go with the smaller ones so I have more space and ill probably team them up with a sub later. sweetwater had buy one get one half off of JBL LSR series. Im sure either way it will be a huge improvement over my av 40s. thanks for everything guys. :D

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #158 of 286
  I ordered the JBL LSR305s. decided to go with the smaller ones. got them $242 shipped and since sweetwater is in the same state ill get them tomorrow. pretty excited. decided to go with the smaller ones so I have more space and ill probably team them up with a sub later. sweetwater had buy one get one half off of JBL LSR series. Im sure either way it will be a huge improvement over my av 40s. thanks for everything guys. :D

nice let us know what you think of them.  since it looks like mine are going to take a little wile to get here since my order is waiting for backordered items.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #160 of 286
  I'd like to explain the definition between active and passive systems in some detail because it is clear that not everyone posting in this thread understands the difference.

It has nothing to do with the location of the amplifiers. It is dependent on the type of crossover used. The part that divides up the input signal so that the high notes go to the little speakers and the low notes go to the big speakers.

In an active system the crossover comes before the amplifiers. Each size speaker has a separate amplifier. In a passive system there is an amplifier and the crossover then divides up the frequencies. A powered system is exactly the same as a passive system except the amplifier is stuffed into one of the boxes.

It should be clear that an active system presents many potential advantages, except maybe cost! In fact both pro and domestic manufacturers have always understood this. High end expensive (and powerful) systems have almost always been active for over 3 decades. Genelec didn't invent actives. They were just the first to realise that if they miniaturised everything they could fit it all into one box. (digital switching amps made this practical)  Hence the quality of actives with added convenience  and some cost saving. Really big and powerful high end systems are almost always active. It's just that the amplifiers and crossover units are not necessarily co-located in the same enclosure.

Apologies for the pedantry but it's important we all understand the terms we are using. Carry on...

If this is in response to my above post, I wasn't making a comment on crossover design topologies, I was simply making a comment regarding the value proposition of comparing active monitors in this price range (there are lots of good options to choose from that provide great value) to passive bookshelf speakers + amp & preamp/receiver/integrated or whatever you might be using to power them and control the volume. I'm well aware of the differences between active and passive systems.

Congrats on the purchase of your new JBL monitors!! I haven't had the chance to hear them but it looks like you got a great deal and they should be a serious upgrade over your previous speakers.

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #161 of 286
JBL LSR305s are a great, used em for a week before I tried out the M-Audio bx8 d2. The JBL are more accurate but also more boring, but I couldnt have the BX8 as it was too big on the desk(also that low buzz/hum that is always noticable when there is little to no music/sound playing).

Actually I ended up with a pair of FLUID AUDIO F5, better lows than the JBL and easier on the ears. So for me better sounding but probably less accurate, use em mostly for music and gaming when im not in the headphone mood.

Before all this I have been using passive speakers with a little amp on my desk, speakers with 4-6inch elements, all the active monitors ive tested have been more fun listening to and much clearer sounding.

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #162 of 286
I have no hum/buzz from my BX8's at my listening position. I have to get within a couple inches of the tweeter to hear a faint noise. I did have a bit initially, but that went away when I switched to high quality RCA to XLR cables (SignalCable Analog Two).

There are so many good options for active monitors in this price range, it's tough to go wrong. I've heard some Yamaha, Mackie, Fostex, KRK and M-Audio monitors around this price, and I thought they all sounded pretty great for the money!

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #163 of 286
I'ts a big thread with complaints on the BX8 D2 about the noise, noise were even hearable from around 2 meters when silent. With and without signal cables. Might be some batch problems that differs from region. I'm no basshead but I must say I loved the low end on the BX8's.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #165 of 286
Leave them set to flat (0) and get used to the speaker for awhile. Then, you can adjust them by ear to suit your personal preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back