bookshelf speakers vs studio monitors?
Jan 30, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #121 of 286
  but you have to remember  studio's start with the room  THEN the move to the hardware.  you wont see a large studio that  has  bad acoustics  and you also have to remember  that  studio's  have budgets specifically to equipment.  sometimes new expensive equipment is purchased solely as a tax write off.  

I understand they start with the room first, I've been involved in building a few. But I don't see how people don't get the difference in converters.

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #122 of 286
  I understand they start with the room first, I've been involved in building a few. But I don't see how people don't get the difference in converters.

i know there is a difference  but the difference is pointless unless you have the room  to use it.  so why bother until you can utilize it. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #124 of 286
  Again, I personally know lots of people who will agree with me. Dynamic range, jitter, THD all are effected by converters. This is why if you look at any larger studio you will see them run high-end converters. I can't think of a single studio I've worked at that isn't running Apogee, RME, Prism, Antelope, SSL, Lynx, Benchmark or other similar converters.

Now you are talking about a whole different beast.  I never said converters couldn't get better than what you find in a fairly basic pro interface.  There are many reasons people run RME, their DACs aren't usually one of them (certainly not the reason I bought mine).  Their DAC isn't bad, but it isn't a major step up either. Either you run a babyface for latency and decent preamps for the price, or you move up and go to a separate DAC from the RME interface.  Apogee is similarly eh until you get to the Symphony range, again, DACs are broken out form the interface, Of course studios run higher end DACs, and interfaces, but if you think your Apogee duet or RME babyface is a major step up for audio output, you are mistaken. There are many things they do better which make them worth the money, but for the same money, you can go with something else for listening only and have a better solution.  I still stand by the opinion that at the Sub $1k interace level, improvements are in drivers latency, number of I/O channels, and preamps, not the output stage.  Over $1k sure, but you are basically buying a digital interface with external preamps, AD and DA.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #125 of 286
  Now you are talking about a whole different beast.  I never said converters couldn't get better than what you find in a fairly basic pro interface.  There are many reasons people run RME, their DACs aren't usually one of them (certainly not the reason I bought mine).  Their DAC isn't bad, but it isn't a major step up either. Either you run a babyface for latency and decent preamps for the price, or you move up and go to a separate DAC from the RME interface.  Apogee is similarly eh until you get to the Symphony range, again, DACs are broken out form the interface, Of course studios run higher end DACs, and interfaces, but if you think your Apogee duet or RME babyface is a major step up for audio output, you are mistaken. There are many things they do better which make them worth the money, but for the same money, you can go with something else for listening only and have a better solution.  I still stand by the opinion that at the Sub $1k interace level, improvements are in drivers latency, number of I/O channels, and preamps, not the output stage.  Over $1k sure, but you are basically buying a digital interface with external preamps, AD and DA.

Calm down man. I am speaking about converters. I don't understand why you would assume I'm referring to a Duet or Babyface or something similar. The reason I mentioned SSL, Antelope, Prism, Apogee (and yes the Symphony) in-particularly is because they are what I use regularly. I initially just said that their is a quality difference in them in response to RonaldDumsfeld's statement about not to worry about the quality of the converter. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #126 of 286
For most people and general playback they will not notice the difference between a $200 and a $2000 DAC ,in a home environment, even more so on budget monitors.  So in some respects RD was pretty accurate.

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #127 of 286
picked up a presonus audiobox usb today for $99 new. wanted to grab it while I could for that price. should have my tax return within the next two weeks or so. just gotts decide if i wanna settle for 5 inchers or get bold and go for $8. its like a $200 difference though.

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #128 of 286
  picked up a presonus audiobox usb today for $99 new. wanted to grab it while I could for that price. should have my tax return within the next two weeks or so. just gotts decide if i wanna settle for 5 inchers or get bold and go for $8. its like a $200 difference though.

whats the room size?  and  do you value bass over soundstaging?

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #129 of 286
its my living room so its a decent size. and id like some bass. i have 4 inch drivers in these maudios and the bass doesnt satisfy me. but im sure even the monitors with 5 inch drivers would. just a big decision. $200 is a decent amount of money.

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #130 of 286
  its my living room so its a decent size. and id like some bass. i have 4 inch drivers in these maudios and the bass doesnt satisfy me. but im sure even the monitors with 5 inch drivers would. just a big decision. $200 is a decent amount of money.

hmm im assuming your talking about the jbl's right? or the mackies?

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #132 of 286
  i want the jbls. they seem to have more bass than the mackies.

yea  i can understand that. i went for the 305's personally.  they go down pretty low for a 5''  43hz is pretty low for a speaker that small. that and they behave more like midfields than nears with that huge sweet spot.  go with the 305's  with the option of getting a sub at a later date.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #133 of 286

yea  i can understand that. i went for the 305's personally.  they go down pretty low for a 5''  43hz is pretty low for a speaker that small. that and they behave more like midfields than nears with that huge sweet spot.  go with the 305's  with the option of getting a sub at a later date.

The issue is that JBL doesn't say what the -/+dB value is for the frequency. So it may do 43Hz, but at -15dB, so without that little piece of extra information it's useless. Genelec which is known for their low-end publishes 58Hz-20kHz (+/- 2 dB) for their 8030B model which is their 5in driver.

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #135 of 286
The issue is that JBL doesn't say what the -/+dB value is for the frequency. So it may do 43Hz, but at -15dB, so without that little piece of extra information it's useless. Genelec which is known for their low-end publishes 58Hz-20kHz (+/- 2 dB) for their 8030B model which is their 5in driver.

JBL has measurements posted in their product information on their Amazon page with their speaker in the top left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back