bookshelf speakers vs studio monitors?
Jan 29, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #91 of 286
Jan 29, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #92 of 286
I do recommend studio monitors too that I even have a 5.1 setup with 4 Bx5a Deluxe, 1 Genelec 8030a, and a 10" Klipsch sub hooking up to a receiver.  
But still, I often dream of having just a pair of passive speaker setup as my ultimate, the ones I spend $$$ just to visit and hug all night back in the days.  The Funktion One. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #93 of 286
  I do recommend studio monitors too that I even have a 5.1 setup with 4 Bx5a Deluxe, 1 Genelec 8030a, and a 10" Klipsch sub hooking up to a receiver.  
But still, I often dream of having just a pair of passive speaker setup as my ultimate, the ones I spend $$$ just to visit and hug all night back in the days.  The Funktion One. 

must be a small room  if you are using such beamy speakers as a HT setup.   but i bet it sounds delicious when you find the sweet spot.

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #94 of 286

What are you the Genelec for? The center channel? Normally it's best to have your front three speakers timbre match for the best front soundstage. That generally involves buying the same brand, and often even the same model series.

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #95 of 286
It's kind of sad but yes, such setup is in a room within the trailer home.  That's also the reason why I must use near field monitors since I can't play music loud within the community.

I've planned to build the front/center speakers for my home theatre setup with 3 MK sound MPS-1611p cabinets and finding drivers (1" tweeter and 6.5" woofer at 8 ohm) for them.  But the plan never worked out on finding the matching drivers part, so I'm currently using the 8030a as primary.

Originally I had a crazier setup for the center HT channel, a single hypersonic H450.

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #96 of 286
  It's kind of sad but yes, such setup is in a room within the trailer home.  That's also the reason why I must use near field monitors since I can't play music loud within the community.

I've planned to build the front/center speakers for my home theatre setup with 3 MK sound MPS-1611p cabinets and finding drivers (1" tweeter and 6.5" woofer at 8 ohm) for them.  But the plan never worked out on finding the matching drivers part, so I'm currently using the 8030a as primary.

Originally I had a crazier setup for the center HT channel, a single hypersonic H450.

maybe you should improve your living situation first :wink:

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #98 of 286
  Hmm the review for Adam A3x was pretty clarifying. I think I'll get those and use the leftover money for a good dac unit. What dac's do you recommend in the $300-$600 region?

moded out  schiit bitfrost?

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #99 of 286

That's no fun having to keep the volume down :frowning2:

Yeah I understand about finding drivers. Most people don't realize that the tweeter, driver, and crossover have to all match and be correct for the enclosure size. Can't just stick any driver and tweeter inside even if they do fit. It can sound horrible.

If you could ever replace your left and right in the front with a pair of Genelec 8030Bs (since they don't make the 8030A any more), I bet that would sound great. :)

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #101 of 286
Hmm the review for Adam A3x was pretty clarifying. I think I'll get those and use the leftover money for a good dac unit. What dac's do you recommend in the $300-$600 region?

One other thought: Is bass important to you? If so, you might grab a Schiit Modi for a DAC, then get an SVS SB-1000 or SVS PB-1000 for a sub. One of those would give you some pretty awesome sounding midbass and deeper bass extension than the Adam 3X. IMO, way more of an SQ upgrade than spending more on the DAC.

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #103 of 286
i have been looking at the presonus audiobox. would that be good to control the new monitors as opposed to a internal card?

I can't remember if you ended up the JBLs or not. That DAC has balanced outputs, which might or might not make an SQ difference in your setup.

If you want to explore different external DAC options, you might want to look in Head-Fi's Dedicated Source Components forum and post there since there are a lot of people into DACs who won't read this section of the website.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #105 of 286
it looks like the bandwidth on the jbl's is superior (given there are no tolerances stated for either)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back