Blur Earbuds Lovers
Feb 6, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #1,366 of 1,529
Blur 266 MX64 STE aPs sounding utterly fantastic via the Cayin RU6 with donut foams. There's something about this tuning that is just right to my ear, especially with strings. It has an intimate stage but that puts me exactly where I want to be - as close to woody resonances of the double bass / cello as I can get!

Timbre on this is unbeaten out of all the transducers I have. It's a close match with the Blur OFC PK150 Wraith but I think the Wraith has a bit less midbass/low mid body to really make these low strings shine. Either way, both are staying put in my collection for years to come.

I hope we're all well? What are we listening to recently, any musical discoveries enjoyed through our Blurs?

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #1,367 of 1,529
Last week with 266R mx150 Special Tuning and..
IMG_20220206_131921.jpg

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #1,368 of 1,529
And listening a/b189mx 150 and Phobos.
The Erzetich are outstanding with Soundstage and lower mids, but I rather like Blur for intimate listening and female jazz vocals.
IMG_20220130_094610.jpg

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #1,369 of 1,529
The Erzetich are outstanding with Soundstage and lower mids, but I rather like Blur for intimate listening and female jazz vocals.
IMG_20220130_094610.jpg

Looking good! The 189MX 150 still your favourite?

Feb 6, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #1,370 of 1,529
Feb 6, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #1,371 of 1,529
I broke out my stowed away SENN HD650 cans this weekend both to check them out and feed them some signal, as well as to compare them to my current stable of earbuds. Totally concur. Although, the headstage (and perhaps imaging in some regards) is better on the larger driver HD650 there truly isn't much else that I miss about them in comparison to my earbuds. My Blur Wraith and two (2) new FranQL DIY Earbuds in my collection (MX120Ω 15.4 LCP and MX300Ω 15.4 DLC made by @FranQL) stand-up quite well to my HD650s. The SENN HD650 are now packed away in their case, sitting and waiting in the dark once again.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #1,372 of 1,529
The SENN HD650 are now packed away in their case, sitting and waiting in the dark once again.

This made me feel bad for the Sennys!

On an unrelated note, I've recently had a chance to run through my Blurs again and unearth the Blur PK16 White Face. It was starting to get very lonely due to its darker tuning that lacks some top end energy to bring a bit of flare to (most) instrumental music. Running through the RU6 with electronic/ambient it sounds great with some great detailed, thudding bass notes. I forgot how unlike any other Blur this set really is, it's a massive departure and in fact it's the only Blur I have that I feel does justice to the energy and speed of dance and electronic. What's most surprising though and what I appreciate is the utility with rock/metal. Since coming into the hobby I have fallen out of touch with some of my old tastes in music as I've found it very hard to find a set that controls the hard and shrill attack of some metal instruments, cymbals and replaying poorer quality recordings. The White Face is dark enough with a softer top end to make all of this work and be non-fatiguing. I also credit some of this to the RU6 that seems to do a great job of softening harshness.

Essentially the White Face unlocks these genres for me. Artists like Nine Inch Nails, Korn, Tool, Slipknot etc...

So thankyou Wong and @WoodyLuvr for persuading Wong to make this departure.

Current Blurs on rotation:
  • Blur 266 MX64 STE aPs - World/Jazz/Acoustic (the closest to an all-rounder Blur I have)
  • Blur OFC PK150 Wraith - World Music/Jazz/Acoustic (desktop amp use)
  • Blur PK16 White Face 'Special Ultimate Basshead Limited Edition'- Electronic/Ambient/Rock/Metal
  • Blur OFC MX400 STE - Jazz/Vocals

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #1,373 of 1,529
My Blur Wraith and two (2) new FranQL DIY Earbuds in my collection (MX120Ω 15.4 LCP and MX300Ω 15.4 DLC made by @FranQL) stand-up quite well to my HD650s. The SENN HD650 are now packed away in their case, sitting and waiting in the dark once again.
I didn´t know FranQL had entered the DIY arena, did he make them specifically for you or are they going to be available in the future? How do you like them?

Feb 7, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #1,374 of 1,529
I didn´t know FranQL had entered the DIY arena, did he make them specifically for you or are they going to be available in the future? How do you like them?
They were a kind and generous holiday surprise gift from him and I love them! He has a very good ear and has tuned them splendidly. I am very impressed.

Feb 7, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #1,375 of 1,529
They were a kind and generous holiday surprise gift from him and I love them! He has a very good ear and has tuned them splendidly. I am very impressed.
Thanks Woody, perhaps Fran can tune in and tell us if these will eventually become commercially available, it would be great to see a fellow spaniard do well in this area.

Feb 7, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #1,377 of 1,529
The part of selling Buds is not something that I really consider, in fact there are already great masters who are constantly working on their products (see the thread in which we are writing), I fine-tune the buds to my personal taste (which can sound horrible to other people). There is a lot of level in the DIY.

I sent those games to Woody not only because of the great appreciation I have for him, but also because he wanted me to get to know first-hand the sound that I personally like. I don't think there are many people who have listened to more buds than him over the years, including TOLT, and his opinion is the best to know if one is on the right track.

But on the other hand, I don't have the slightest problem helping anyone who wants to build their own, in the same way that they helped me, it's something really rewarding.

This answer is very thoughtful .... hehehehehe

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #1,378 of 1,529
The part of selling Buds is not something that I really consider, in fact there are already great masters who are constantly working on their products (see the thread in which we are writing), I fine-tune the buds to my personal taste (which can sound horrible to other people). There is a lot of level in the DIY.

I sent those games to Woody not only because of the great appreciation I have for him, but also because he wanted me to get to know first-hand the sound that I personally like. I don't think there are many people who have listened to more buds than him over the years, including TOLT, and his opinion is the best to know if one is on the right track.

But on the other hand, I don't have the slightest problem helping anyone who wants to build their own, in the same way that they helped me, it's something really rewarding.

This answer is very thoughtful .... hehehehehe
"Gunslinger earbuds by FranQL" has a nice sound to it, just saying :wink:

Feb 8, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #1,380 of 1,529
I have a Cayin RU6 coming later this week: looking forward to hearing it

Let us know how it pairs with your Blurs. I'm having a great time with mine. It even drives the MX400 drivers quite well!

@FranQL lovely looking creations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back