Blur Earbuds Lovers
Dec 29, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #1,351 of 1,529
Thanks again guys. Yes I don't have the clear shells but I actually like that the channel designation is by feel as so many markings on shells are tone on tone and hard to see in low light (which I often listen in).
I don't get why a clear insulation would be any likelier to allow the wire to oxidize than a dark one. And if the insulation Wong is using has that potential why not just switch?

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #1,352 of 1,529
Dec 29, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #1,353 of 1,529
Thanks again guys. Yes I don't have the clear shells but I actually like that the channel designation is by feel as so many markings on shells are tone on tone and hard to see in low light (which I often listen in).
I don't get why a clear insulation would be any likelier to allow the wire to oxidize than a dark one. And if the insulation Wong is using has that potential why not just switch?
Ah, okay. Apologies, I didn't quite understand which model you were discussing and had thought you were referring to clear shell models only.

Opaque and/or solid colored cable insulation is a strong mitigating factor when it comes to oxidization. The combination of light and humid environments along with oxygen plays havoc with copper wiring but in regards to audio cables it is cosmetic only and does nothing to harm the signal. Unfortunately, you can never quite predict when this will happen. I have had some clear coated cables for decades that never oxidized (never turned green on me) and then others where it happened immediately (DQSM Turandot)... but again it never really bothered me either way as cables are made to take a beating and are effected by a menagerie of other things which are far more concerning than oxidization at any level. I honestly wouldn't be too concerned about it... in fact, I have seen some rather cool looking clear cables that have oxidized beautifully.

It may simply be a certain quality of cabling that he is after and/or may simply be chalked up to manufacturer prerogative (simply what they selected).

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #1,355 of 1,529
Humm, I thought it was only exposure to oxygen that caused the issue. And I thought it did effect the functioning of the cable. Good to know otherwise. Thanks.
I clarified (edited) that one sentence in my previous post... typically low-light environments combined with high humidity helps speed along oxidization while strong light environments tend to be hotter and thus drier which does slow oxidization it can also have the reverse effect as well. Although strong intense light (especially UV) does not directly effect copper and/or other metals (outside of making them warm and in turn drying them)... light (especially UV) does adversely effect cable insulation... weakening it and exposing the copper wiring to the air.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #1,356 of 1,529
I Just got the blur 189 mx300ohm.! :)
This small buds are really a pleasure of listening experience.
They are very nice detailed with forward presentation in comparison of the ISN H50.
I checked it on qudelix 5k and J2 Geshelli dac+ Ta20 xduoo amp.
The H50 is more sparkly and more behind and surround sound experience.
The 189 has neural-warm sound signature, more warmer than the H50 but still I wouldn't say you can't hear the upper mids on the 189.
They well tuned all around. They indeed in the level of the H50.
That means excellent sound experience VFM . !!!
The 189 has more emphasis on Macro detail than Micro opposed to H50 (you can't hear something missing on the 189 or unclear).
I would say that the H50 is more source and cable dependent vs the 189 that has OFB well tuned sound with no need of special tweaks for clearer or warmer sound.
The cable on the blur 189 is so nicely woven and light weighted too- A mix of copper and silver.
The Bass is more tight on the 189 vs more extended sub-bass of the H50.
Mids like I said are more emphasized on the 189 - first row pub exprience vs the big hall center seat in the H50.
Treble rounded and tight, Macro and not micro, not sparky but clean vs open and airy treble of the H50.
The 189 is like earbud version of the HD6xx, but less sound stage. You don't feel it is tiny but not as large as 6xx (or H50).
The 189 sound warmer of course with tube amp and I plan using the 189 mostly as my outdoor iem when I need to be careful not to be sound isolated to much.
I still waiting for the GS849 cable for the H50, the penon mix was somehow stopped working.. This cable setup is heavy but when paired with a nice "warmer" cable is very pleasant and airy without being harsh even on the Qudelix 5k (with the stock cable it is harsh for my sensitive ears).
BTW The H50 with the desktop setup was a killer surround iem monster.
And the 189 is more grounded sound than airy on the tubes.

Whoever is interested you can contact Master Wong on instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/blurearbuds_boleh7/
Be well

Attachments

• 269907969_472161817812831_1912158680167309295_n.jpg
    269907969_472161817812831_1912158680167309295_n.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 270076213_423814299179234_7512835691788978469_n.jpg
    270076213_423814299179234_7512835691788978469_n.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 270155442_1857882514412348_9050935002271351906_n.jpg
    270155442_1857882514412348_9050935002271351906_n.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #1,357 of 1,529
I Just got the blur 189 mx300ohm.! :)
This small buds are really a pleasure of listening experience.
They are very nice detailed with forward presentation in comparison of the ISN H50.
I checked it on qudelix 5k and J2 Geshelli dac+ Ta20 xduoo amp.
The H50 is more sparkly and more behind and surround sound experience.
The 189 has neural-warm sound signature, more warmer than the H50 but still I wouldn't say you can't hear the upper mids on the 189.
They well tuned all around. They indeed in the level of the H50.
That means excellent sound experience VFM . !!!
The 189 has more emphasis on Macro detail than Micro opposed to H50 (you can't hear something missing on the 189 or unclear).
I would say that the H50 is more source and cable dependent vs the 189 that has OFB well tuned sound with no need of special tweaks for clearer or warmer sound.
The cable on the blur 189 is so nicely woven and light weighted too- A mix of copper and silver.
The Bass is more tight on the 189 vs more extended sub-bass of the H50.
Mids like I said are more emphasized on the 189 - first row pub exprience vs the big hall center seat in the H50.
Treble rounded and tight, Macro and not micro, not sparky but clean vs open and airy treble of the H50.
The 189 is like earbud version of the HD6xx, but less sound stage. You don't feel it is tiny but not as large as 6xx (or H50).
The 189 sound warmer of course with tube amp and I plan using the 189 mostly as my outdoor iem when I need to be careful not to be sound isolated to much.
I still waiting for the GS849 cable for the H50, the penon mix was somehow stopped working.. This cable setup is heavy but when paired with a nice "warmer" cable is very pleasant and airy without being harsh even on the Qudelix 5k (with the stock cable it is harsh for my sensitive ears).
BTW The H50 with the desktop setup was a killer surround iem monster.
And the 189 is more grounded sound than airy on the tubes.

Whoever is interested you can contact Master Wong on instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/blurearbuds_boleh7/
Be well
Give a try R2R amps with Blur earbuds, will be delighted

Jan 8, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #1,358 of 1,529
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #1,359 of 1,529
Blur 189 Hybrid & 266R Reference Series Sound Signature Chart

1645551527384.png

Primary = Mid-Centric - Neutral (w/ Warm Leaning)
Secondary (Strong) = Mid-Forward / Detailed
Secondary (Weak) = Bass (More oomph, punchier)
Tertiary (Complementing) = Warm (Not muddy nor muffled)
Tertiary (Opposing) = Bright (Not hard nor sibilant)

The tunings, for both the 189 Hybrid and 266R Reference lines (series), pretty much fall together with a primary signature (red shaded rectangle) that is "mid-centric - neutral" with a "warm" leaning. Strong secondary signatures (blue shaded balloons) reach out to "mid-forward" for enhanced vocals and "detailed" for greater resolution and more realistic timbre. A non-overpowering weak secondary signature (blue shaded balloon) reaches out to "bass" for a more punchier presentation that is neither "boomy" or "muddy"... this weaker secondary signature was recently introduced to the House Sound by Blur. A prominent "warm" complementing tertiary signature (green shaded arrow) is exhibited in the upper mid-range and lower treble taming sometimes pesky peaky highs. A not so prominent "bright" opposing tertiary signature (green shaded arrow) gives the treble a friendly "airy sparkle".

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #1,360 of 1,529
Blur 189 Hybrid & 266R Reference Series Sound Signature Chart

Primary = Mid-Centric - Neutral (w/ Warm Leaning)
Secondary (Strong) = Mid-Forward / Detailed
Secondary (Weak) = Bass (More oomph, punchier)
Tertiary (Complimenting) = Warm (Not muddy nor muffled)
Tertiary (Opposing) = Bright (Not hard nor sibilant)

The tunings, for both the 189 Hybrid and 266R Reference lines (series), pretty much fall together with a primary signature (red shaded rectangle) that is "mid-centric - neutral" with a "warm" leaning. Strong secondary signatures (blue shaded balloons) reach out to "mid-forward" for enhanced vocals and "detailed" for greater resolution and more realistic timbre. A non-overpowering weak secondary signature (blue shaded balloon) reaches out to "bass" for a more punchier presentation that is neither "boomy" or "muddy"... this weaker secondary signature was recently introduced to the House Sound by Blur. A prominent "warm" complimenting tertiary signature (green shaded arrow) is exhibited in the upper mid-range and lower treble taming sometimes pesky peaky highs. A not so prominent "bright" opposing tertiary signature (green shaded arrow) gives the treble a friendly "airy sparkle".

Thanks @WoodyLuvr. This does captures each line well! However, may I put forward my thoughts...from the two models of the 189 line (64 & 150ohm drivers) that I have heard it has a much weaker secondary bass characteristic compared to the 266R. This doesn't neccessarily change your assessment but I do think it is a strong distinguishing point between the two and might factor into a purchase decision.

Ofcourse, I'll concede to your experience if I am way off here as I have only heard the 400ohm non-aPs driver in the 266R line...

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #1,361 of 1,529
Thanks @WoodyLuvr. This does captures each line well! However, may I put forward my thoughts...from the two models of the 189 line (64 & 150ohm drivers) that I have heard it has a much weaker secondary bass characteristic compared to the 266R. This doesn't neccessarily change your assessment but I do think it is a strong distinguishing point between the two and might factor into a purchase decision.

Ofcourse, I'll concede to your experience if I am way off here as I have only heard the 400ohm non-aPs driver in the 266R line...
A really nice call out good sir, I concur completely. The 189 Hybrid series indeed has weaker bass (more recessed - softer) than the 266R Reference line... even more so now after Blur's most recent re-tuning update endeavor.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #1,362 of 1,529
A really nice call out good sir, I concur completely. The 189 Hybrid series indeed has weaker bass (more recessed - softer) than the 266R Reference line especially now after Blur's most recent re-tuning update endeavor.

I need to hear this new tuning on the 266R. I think my next purchase might be the 266R with my old-time favourite 64ohm driver! :sweat_smile:

Jan 10, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #1,363 of 1,529
I need to hear this new tuning on the 266R. I think my next purchase might be the 266R with my old-time favourite 64ohm driver! :sweat_smile:
Me too. Perhaps another 150ohm driver for me 😀😀😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back