Blur Earbuds Lovers
Oct 5, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #901 of 1,529
In an effort to keep this thread going, I did a little comparison tonight. I don’t want this thread to Disappear. It’s valuable And we should keep it going for the time being. Hopefully this is not too soon. I’m still in shock. Anyway, I did a little back and forth between my HD650 and the MX64. This time around the results were less of a shock because I know how well the PK32 did next to the 650. I was shocked then. Now it’s old hat. Earbuds are real. The 650 is a staple of the headphone hobby and has been for as long as I can remember. It holds a rightful status as a comparison point because it is common, several generations have heard and own it, and it is excellent by MOST accounts. I mean it really is an excellent headphone. The PK32 beats the 650 in most departments using the FiiO A5, but loses out in size of soundstage and it’s missing the pinna gain (which some will prefer and some won’t). Otherwise it was a one sided affair. I’m not sure the MX64 really loses in any way to the 650. It doesn’t sound as “big”, it’s lacking the weight and mud, but the soundstage is at least as large and is far more layered. Tonality is similar but the 650 has more output around 6-10kHz and 100-150Hz. Above and below there they seem about the same. Definition, timbre, instrument separation all easily go to the MX64 ofc STE across the board. Pianos, violins, horns, cellos, vocals, electric guitar, you name it, the MX64 brings them to you with a greater sense of realism. I may not be “shocked” per se, but I am still surprised by the disparity in overall clarity. I have held (and still hold) the HD650 in high esteem. The gap generally seems a bit wider than I perceived between the PK32 and the HD650, but I’m not sure if that’s just the soundstage and pinna gain on the MX64. I think I know what’s coming next…..

Don't worry, we will keep this thread alive.

I've never heard the HD650 but it must be well respected for a reason.

Without revealing my ignorance - what's coming next?!

I really can't wait to further contribute in this thread when my first Blur arrive, especially with how much I'm loving my EM5.

Incredibly painful waiting! They left Singapore on the 22nd of September so hoping they land this week... tracking not much use, all it shows since the 22nd is that the order has shipped. When I order from AliExpress/China, I know the item stops in the Netherlands for about a week before onwards to Ireland and I see that in the tracking info. I'm hoping the absence of detail with Singapore Post delivers a surprise and they just appear at my door in the next couple of days! 🤞

I can feel the anticipation from here. Fingers and toes crossed for you.

Oct 5, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #902 of 1,529
To keep on the topic of Blurs, I want to share my initial experience of having mine since May. Going for the Blur 173 m150, I was very skeptical of how these buds were. I was suggested to go for them by a friend of mine who absolutely loves these earbuds, and I was actually a bit new in earbuds at this time. So to figure out what these are like, I contacted wong and bought a pair.

There are many things I really enjoy about these, some I dont, but for the most part, these are some of my favourite earbuds in my collection. The sound is something I havent heard other buds like. Darker sounding than others but its an enjoyable kind of dark, the cable is incredible and is by far the best one I have held, and the detail in these is very impressive. At times I'll just stop listening to my main equipment and come back to my Blurs, its a wonderful sound. Very lovely pair.
blurs.png

Oct 5, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #903 of 1,529
Without revealing my ignorance - what's coming next?!
Blur vs. Blur

The only thing I have that’s competitive with my Blur is my other Blur as far as resolution and detail are concerned. Well, maybe my FDX-1, but there’s something about blocking off the ear canal that just doesn’t work for me.

Oct 5, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #905 of 1,529
To keep on the topic of Blurs, I want to share my initial experience of having mine since May. Going for the Blur 173 m150, I was very skeptical of how these buds were. I was suggested to go for them by a friend of mine who absolutely loves these earbuds, and I was actually a bit new in earbuds at this time. So to figure out what these are like, I contacted wong and bought a pair.

There are many things I really enjoy about these, some I dont, but for the most part, these are some of my favourite earbuds in my collection. The sound is something I havent heard other buds like. Darker sounding than others but its an enjoyable kind of dark, the cable is incredible and is by far the best one I have held, and the detail in these is very impressive. At times I'll just stop listening to my main equipment and come back to my Blurs, its a wonderful sound. Very lovely pair.
blurs.png
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. May I know what it is that you DON'T like about your Blur 173 mx150?

Oct 5, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #906 of 1,529
Hey @ian91, what Blur model that you've tried would you say is closest to the Legends, signature-wise (warm/forward mids/excellent vocals/smooth treble)? I'd be looking for something similar but with more textured mid-bass and better timbre. Preferably not too much air in the midrange or any treble sibilance. I'm not picky about imaging/detail/staging, as long as it's acceptable.

I find your reviews to be the most comparable to what I hear myself, so I'd greatly appreciate your opinion before I go down yet another audio rabbit hole. Thanks.

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #907 of 1,529
Hey @ian91, what Blur model that you've tried would you say is closest to the Legends, signature-wise (warm/forward mids/excellent vocals/smooth treble)? I'd be looking for something similar but with more textured mid-bass and better timbre. Preferably not too much air in the midrange or any treble sibilance. I'm not picky about imaging/detail/staging, as long as it's acceptable.

I find your reviews to be the most comparable to what I hear myself, so I'd greatly appreciate your opinion before I go down yet another audio rabbit hole. Thanks.

Probably the Beautiful Witch, but I have an older model that may or may not share the same tuning as Wongs more recent and current, Beautiful Witch Limited Edition.

I have the 189 Hybrid MX64 on its way to me that at least on paper fits what you've described but I'll need to hear it to confirm.

Oct 6, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #908 of 1,529
Probably the Beautiful Witch, but I have an older model that may or may not share the same tuning as Wongs more recent and current, Beautiful Witch Limited Edition.

I have the 189 Hybrid MX64 on its way to me that at least on paper fits what you've described but I'll need to hear it to confirm.
I'm so excited to hear your impressions of the 189 Hybrid and probably compare it with the 266 MX64 STE that you have. I'm particularly interested about the vocal quality and realism as well as soundstaging and sub-bass presence.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #909 of 1,529
I'm so excited to hear your impressions of the 189 Hybrid and probably compare it with the 266 MX64 STE that you have. I'm particularly interested about the vocal quality and realism as well as soundstaging and sub-bass presence.

Very happy to share my thoughts on this.

Also, your 266 MX64 has SWT after it. Is that a name given to your model by Wong?

Oct 6, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #910 of 1,529
Actually I'm not sure if my unit is an STE and upon consultation with Woody before whom I contacted for it, he said it's called Blur 266 MX64 aPs 64Ω (Special Warm Tuning). Below are the exact words I got from him when he helped me on some of my queries.
  • Blur 266 MX64 aPs 64Ω (Special Warm Tuning) vs Blur 266 MX64 aPs 64Ω (Standard Tuning)
The original 266 MX64 aPs is a very detailed-oriented, smooth, and relaxing earbud exhibiting the standard Blur mid-range prominence along with Blur's new bass boost tuning. Your model was the very first aPs model made with the 64Ω driver and was special-tuned 'slightly warm' to tame any naughty highs which gently enhances the bass without effecting the musicality of the mids and treble.

Maybe you can tell if SWT=STE or STE is just the Standard Tuning Edition. Woody is no longer in this forum so perhaps asking Wong would be the next option. Sorry but I have not personally talked to Wong before.

Oct 6, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #911 of 1,529
Actually I'm not sure if my unit is an STE and upon consultation with Woody before whom I contacted for it, he said it's called Blur 266 MX64 aPs 64Ω (Special Warm Tuning). Below are the exact words I got from him when he helped me on some of my queries.
  • Blur 266 MX64 aPs 64Ω (Special Warm Tuning) vs Blur 266 MX64 aPs 64Ω (Standard Tuning)
The original 266 MX64 aPs is a very detailed-oriented, smooth, and relaxing earbud exhibiting the standard Blur mid-range prominence along with Blur's new bass boost tuning. Your model was the very first aPs model made with the 64Ω driver and was special-tuned 'slightly warm' to tame any naughty highs which gently enhances the bass without effecting the musicality of the mids and treble.

Maybe you can tell if SWT=STE or STE is just the Standard Tuning Edition. Woody is no longer in this forum so perhaps asking Wong would be the next option. Sorry but I have not personally talked to Wong before.

I think that clears things up. Yours is likely an earlier tuning prior to the STE at the time when Wong was beginning to implement the aPs tuning system. Interesting stuff!

@jrazmar I think the official name for your model is Blur 266 MX64 aPs Retune Special Warm Tuning (SWT) 64Ω. It's not a regular part of the lineup that Wong offers. So to confirm it is most definitely distinct from the Special Tuning Edition (STE) and the Standard Tuning. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #912 of 1,529
Ordered my first Blur (OFC MX64 STE aPs).
I think you’ll be pleased (provided you’re not a bass head). I listen to these everyday and night. I mostly listen to “classical“ music but I was impressed how well other genres came through with clarity and the intention of the artists and producers when comparing to the HD650. Without question these are great transducers and well tuned. Let us know what you think! I actually like them best with my cheap,low-brow Little Bear B4X….

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #914 of 1,529
Anyone have both the Wraith and the Apple dongle (US not EU), if so can you check on drivability?

I don't have the Apple dongle, hopefully someone who does can confirm first hand for you. I have a feeling it would be safer and you would possibly be more pleased with a lower impedance model.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #915 of 1,529
I don't have the Apple dongle, hopefully someone can confirm first hand for you. I have a feeling it would be safer and you would possibly be more pleased with a lower impedance model.
Thanks. My primary listening is desktop which would be no problem but I do like to go mobile sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back