Blur Earbuds Lovers
Oct 25, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,141 of 1,529
Is there a difference between the 189mx64, the 189 mx150, and the 189 mx300 aside from power requirements? They should sound the same right?
It will probably be best reaching out to Blur for this information. I have the 189 Hybrid MX150 aPs on the way that has a different FR curve to the 189 Hybrid MX64 aPs. The 189 Hybrid MX300 aPs is still in development as far as I'm aware.

I have yet to pin down a general rule for changes heard with higher impedance drivers.
Concur with @ian91 as this new series (line) is being approached a little differently... instead of applying a general FR to all the drivers in the series each impedance driver is specially tuned with their own unique FR that generally falls into the same tight hemisphere for the entire series. In the past the varying impedance drivers of a series (e.g. Blur 266 MX aPs Retune) were literally falling to the left or right of one another on the warm - bright axis.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #1,142 of 1,529
Ah, thank you! Would you say they complement each other well, and that it's worth getting the other if you already have one of them?

Also, how does this compare to the fr of the mx64ohm?

The FR for the 189 Hybrid MX64 aPs is included in my review. You will just have to compare them by eye as I can't overlay them unfortunately. I won't know how the sound differs until I hear it by ear.

I would say they compliment eachother, to a degree, however the Blur OFC PK150 Wraith SE is no longer in production. Probably best speak to Blur to see if there any reasonable alternatives.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,143 of 1,529
Concur with @ian91 as this new series (line) is being approached a little differently... instead of applying a general FR to all the drivers in the series each impedance driver is specially tuned with their own unique FR that generally falls into the same tight hemisphere for the entire series. In the past the varying impedance drivers of a series (e.g. Blur 266 MX aPs Retune) were literally falling to the left or right of one another on the warm - bright axis.

Yeah it's interesting to see this at play!

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #1,144 of 1,529
I see, this new line seems to be very interesting then! :O

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #1,145 of 1,529
The FR for the 189 Hybrid MX64 aPs is included in my review. You will just have to compare them by eye as I can't overlay them unfortunately. I won't know how the sound differs until I hear it by ear.

I would say they compliment eachother, to a degree, however the Blur OFC PK150 Wraith SE is no longer in production. Probably best speak to Blur to see if there any reasonable alternatives.
Oops, you're right. I glossed over the fr in your review. Much apologies! I hope they arrive soon, so you can compare with your ears :)

No need to worry about the Wraith being discontinued, Wong told me I got the last one he's making. It's shipping :eyes:

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #1,146 of 1,529
Oops, you're right. I glossed over the fr in your review. Much apologies! I hope they arrive soon, so you can compare with your ears :)

No need to worry about the Wraith being discontinued, Wong told me I got the last one he's making. It's shipping :eyes:

I think you'll find they are sufficiently different to warrant having both if you do go for a second.

Enjoy the Wraith!

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,148 of 1,529
I wonder whether any of the newer lines add more warmth? My two fantastic but still not at the relaxed level of EM5... which certainly makes me reach for it to eh, relax 😁

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #1,149 of 1,529
I wonder whether any of the newer lines add more warmth? My two fantastic but still not at the relaxed level of EM5... which certainly makes me reach for it to eh, relax 😁

Lets see! I'm sure @WoodyLuvr can help you with warm buds, he's got a few nice ones!

Tonights listen that is reaching new heights for me:

Shanling M8 (LO mode, turbo) > Valhalla 2 (high gain) > 80ohm impedance adapter > Blur 189 Hybrid MX64 aPs

Some real high quality double bass recording. The tone & timbre on display here is just faultless. These little drivers are a real wonder, such a big sound for such a little diaphragm.

Oct 25, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #1,150 of 1,529
Lets see! I'm sure @WoodyLuvr can help you with warm buds, he's got a few nice ones!

Tonights listen that is reaching new heights for me:

Shanling M8 (LO mode, turbo) > Valhalla 2 (high gain) > 80ohm impedance adapter > Blur 189 Hybrid MX64 aPs

Some real high quality double bass recording. The tone & timbre on display here is just faultless. These little drivers are a real wonder, such a big sound for such a little diaphragm.

Look forward to your thoughts @WoodyLuvr - I have a serious itch to scratch, in need of another bud!

Listening to my 266mx150 retune - this track sounding incredible.

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #1,151 of 1,529
I wonder whether any of the newer lines add more warmth? 😁
Look forward to your thoughts @WoodyLuvr - I have a serious itch to scratch, in need of another bud!
If speaking of Blur the PK 150Ω driver is certainly one you should consider for a warmer signature. This specific 150Ω driver (also used on the discontinued Wraith) has been absorbed into the 189 Hybrid series. Since you now understand the Blur House Sound have you spoken to Blur about this desired signature as Blur may be willing now to do a SWT (Special Warm Tuning) for you which Blur can/may apply to a number of different drivers (simply mention: WoodyLuvr's Special Warm Tuning). A number of my earlier Blurs had this SWT applied as, although I do like a little sparkle, I vehemently detest sibilant and overly bright treble. If you want a MX type shell maybe the MX 150Ω driver with SWT may be possible (currently available in both the MX aPs Retune II and 189 Hybrid lines). I have been very impressed thus far with the new tuning FR that Blur is using for the 400Ω (the warmest high impedance driver over 300Ω that I have heard coming from Blur to date) and will only be available in the 266R Reference series. And there is also the very new 300Ω driver tuning which will be available for both the 189 Hybrid and 266R Reference which looks quite promising and even warmer based on updates and the supplied FR graph on the Blur IG & FB accounts. Apparently, from what I hear, Blur is also working on a PK32 New Line replacement which will fall into the 266R Reference series when it debuts before end of year... the PK32 New Line is warmer than the PK150 Wraith but is also bassier and had replaced the limited edition basshead lovers PK16 White Face which is hands downs the warmest & bassiest earbud ever created by Blur.

1644766139744.png

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,152 of 1,529
If speaking of Blur the PK 150Ω driver is certainly one you should consider for a warmer signature. This specific 150Ω driver (also used on the discontinued Wraith) has been absorbed into the 189 Hybrid series. Since you now understand the Blur House Sound have you spoken to Blur about this desired signature as Blur may be willing now to do a SWT (Special Warm Tuning) for you which Blur can/may apply to a number of different drivers (simply mention: WoodyLuvr's Special Warm Tuning). A number of my earlier Blurs had this SWT applied as, although I do like a little sparkle, I vehemently detest sibilant and overly bright treble. If you want a MX type shell maybe the MX 150Ω driver with SWT may be possible (currently available in both the MX aPs Retune II and 189 Hybrid lines). I have been very impressed thus far with the new tuning FR that Blur is using for the 400Ω (the warmest high impedance driver over 300Ω that I have heard coming from Blur to date) and will only be available in the 266R Reference series. And there is also the very new 300Ω driver tuning which will be available for both the 189 Hybrid and 266R Reference which looks quite promising and even warmer based on updates and the supplied FR graph on the Blur IG & FB accounts. Apparently, from what I hear, Blur is also working on a PK32 New Line replacement which will fall into the 266R Reference series when it debuts before end of year... the PK32 New Line is warmer than the PK150 Wraith but is also bassier and had replaced the limited edition basshead lovers PK16 White Face which is hands downs the warmest & bassiest earbud ever created by Blur.

1635218210580.png

That's fantastic, thank you. I've reached out to Wong and he has replied already, now to consider my next move! Concerned about 300ohm buds as not sure my DAPs will drive them but I'll see what Wong thinks... or indeed if you or anyone else has an opinion. Cheers!

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #1,153 of 1,529
That's fantastic, thank you. I've reached out to Wong and he has replied already, now to consider my next move! Concerned about 300ohm buds as not sure my DAPs will drive them but I'll see what Wong thinks... or indeed if you or anyone else has an opinion. Cheers!
Are you still getting the BK?

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #1,154 of 1,529
Are you still getting the BK?

Definitely but I'm thinking it might be reduced on 11.11 so holding out given only a couple of weeks away - curious to see what else might be on offer then.

Oct 26, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #1,155 of 1,529
Definitely but I'm thinking it might be reduced on 11.11 so holding out given only a couple of weeks away - curious to see what else might be on offer then.
Pk style earbud showdown :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back