Bluesound Node 2i
Aug 24, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #91 of 435
Thanks for the heads-up. I will be skipping this update.

Aug 24, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #92 of 435
Thanks for the heads-up. I will be skipping this update.

I'm not sure how long you can skip updates. It seems to me they nag and nag and eventually force it but I can't remember. People should complain so they fix it and put out another update soon. Lucky for me I'm far from my node 2i right now or I'd be on the unhappy camper list.

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #93 of 435
I think on the Bluesound forums we figured out it doesn't happen for analog out but does if you are using it as a transport for any of the digital ones.

My own findings, it seems to be dependent on the DAC too, I get the issue with coax out into one of my DACs but not another. So will not affect everyone.

Using it analog out using the node's internal DAC hooked straight into amp works fine so at least not totally unusable while they resolve it but not ideal. It was infuriating when I was using it and getting cut outs.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #94 of 435
I think on the Bluesound forums we figured out it doesn't happen for analog out but does if you are using it as a transport for any of the digital ones.

My own findings, it seems to be dependent on the DAC too, I get the issue with coax out into one of my DACs but not another. So will not affect everyone.

Using it analog out using the node's internal DAC hooked straight into amp works fine so at least not totally unusable while they resolve it but not ideal. It was infuriating when I was using it and getting cut outs.

Ah ok, I never understand why people would give up MQA to use a node 2i as a transport. Thanks for the update :D

Aug 24, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #95 of 435
Ah ok, I never understand why people would give up MQA to use a node 2i as a transport. Thanks for the update :D

I use both the internal DAC and the device as a transport. I output to headphones and speakers so to avoiding manually switching cables I use analog out for one and digital out for the other. Usually I have digital out to DAC to speakers and analog to head amp but recently I had it the other way around and noticed it through playback to my headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #96 of 435
My understanding is that you can bypass the Node 2i's internal DAC and use an external DAC which is capable of MQA, therefore, not giving up MQA. Is that not correct? Just curious since that is what I have read while researching the Node 2i.

You are also assuming everyone is using Tidal. I am looking into getting one of these but don't actually care about MQA or Tidal since I use Qobuz. I am just looking for a new streamer to take my PC out of the chain once my Roon trial ends in a few weeks. Hoping it will eventually replace Heos/BubbleUPnP for my multiroom music as well.

Aug 25, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #97 of 435
My understanding is that you can bypass the Node 2i's internal DAC and use an external DAC which is capable of MQA, therefore, not giving up MQA. Is that not correct? Just curious since that is what I have read while researching the Node 2i.

You are also assuming everyone is using Tidal. I am looking into getting one of these but don't actually care about MQA or Tidal since I use Qobuz. I am just looking for a new streamer to take my PC out of the chain once my Roon trial ends in a few weeks. Hoping it will eventually replace Heos/BubbleUPnP for my multiroom music as well.

I think you probably could use an external MQA DAC but all the people I saw talking about using the node 2i as a transport didn't plan to use an MQA DAC.

You're right, I consider the node 2i a streamer for Tidal because there isn't anything else that does MQA as well in the price range.

If not, I would just use a mini PC with something like Audirvana, JRiver, etc or even a used node 2 before MQA support was added.

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #98 of 435
Still am not hearing much difference between mqa and non. I have the blue or green light always. The node does sound good. I just wish the mqa was noticeably better. Which is how my old laptop with dragonfly was.

Aug 26, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #99 of 435
Still am not hearing much difference between mqa and non. I have the blue or green light always. The node does sound good. I just wish the mqa was noticeably better. Which is how my old laptop with dragonfly was.
have u tried listening to same song with MQA vs non MQA. most MQa music is better but not all. i just find on tidal most well recorded music sounds good and the version doesnt matter much, the only MQA recording i really didnt like was Tom Petty Mojo, Mqa version was lifeless and boring

Aug 27, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #101 of 435
unfortunately this is a temp setup, my astell and kern will be going back in and the Node 2i will go back in my big rig. hopefully i will get another node 2i before the end of the year
Has anyone had direct experience with Tidal MOQ on Astell & Kern vs Node 2i? Keeping in mind each of the A&K lines have a different sound within the range of offerings, I'm curious whether a $500 desk/table/rack unit DAP could contend with a $2,500 hand held.

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #102 of 435
Has anyone had direct experience with Tidal MOQ on Astell & Kern vs Node 2i? Keeping in mind each of the A&K lines have a different sound within the range of offerings, I'm curious whether a $500 desk/table/rack unit DAP could contend with a $2,500 hand held.

I guess it probably can since there is more room on the node 2i board and they did specifically work on noise rejection in the i update. OTOH a battery operated device has clean power which sometimes makes a big difference.

For me what I get with the node 2i is a really nice software and hardware package. Everything just works, MQA never drops out, and I have one app to aggregate all the music services. It drives my integrated amp without me worrying about charging a battery. I didn't compare it critically to other MQA DACs I have but I'm really happy with it.

I don't expect the 3.5mm out from the node 2i to be worth anything and without using the exact same IEMs or cans it's going to be difficult to compare.

Aug 27, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #103 of 435
I guess it probably can since there is more room on the node 2i board

OTOH a battery operated device has clean power which sometimes makes a big difference.

For me what I get with the node 2i is a really nice software and hardware package. Everything just works, MQA never drops out, and I have one app to aggregate all the music services.

It drives my integrated amp without me worrying about charging a battery.

Agree.
Agree.
Agree. And,
Agree.

The Node is simply very good. Simply is the key word. Everything works and sounds good. I will see if I can get my hands on a 2.5mm balanced to RCA and give my SP1000M a comparison. I expect that even if the A&K squeeks out ahead of the Node, I'll keep the Node as my source. The Bluesound app is a pleasure to use, especially compared to AK Connect app. The improvement would have to be fantastic for me to consider the SP as anything besides a hand held source.

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #104 of 435
my astell and kern doesnt have mqa but it does sound really good with my elears and my klipsch hp3's in balanced mode., the node 2 is just so much easier to use, bigger screen (10 inch samsung tablet) and i think the mqa sounds great

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #105 of 435
I only skimmed the seven pages of comments but does anyone have a comment on the sound out of the headphone jack? This seems like it would be a great standalone streamer/headphone amp for a listening station. Thanks for any thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back