Blu-spec CD's,....
Oct 30, 2010 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Noumenon

Head-Fier
Has anyone noticed an improvement in SQ after ripping from a Blu-spec CD? Supposedly, the blue laser results in a more precise pit, so possibly causes less errors (?).

Or is this just a way for Sony Music to charge twice the price? I just bought Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso's; Io Sono Nato Libero for $48 as opposed to $20. Don't have a regular CD to compare.

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
Has anyone noticed an improvement in SQ after ripping from a Blu-spec CD? Supposedly, the blue laser results in a more precise pit, so possibly causes less errors (?).

Or is this just a way for Sony Music to charge twice the price? I just bought Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso's; Io Sono Nato Libero for $48 as opposed to $20. Don't have a regular CD to compare.

Error corection on ordinary CD is actually extremely good already, most CD players will cope with 1mm + scratches and the error correction typically means that unless you use CDs as hockey pucks you may get 1 or 2 inaudible uncorrected errors per 60 minutes, that said I do have some CFP CDs which are very poor (skippy) but they were horrible cheap pressings , normally bit error is just not a big issue with competent CD players and PC CD-ROM drives and associated software like EAC have the benefit of re-reading iffy sectors multiple times so the problem may be even less of a problem.

Oct 30, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 6
What really chaps my hide is that Sony introduces an "improvement" that doesn't make much difference while also trying to kill SACD, a superior hi-rez format.

Oct 30, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
What really chaps my hide is that Sony introduces an "improvement" that doesn't make much difference while also trying to kill SACD, a superior hi-rez format.

Yet I am sure if we wait long enough there will be "night and day" comparisons between old red book and blu-cd here...

Oct 30, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Figures. Thanks for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back