Blu ray player suggestions
Nov 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

drewfus420

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I am shopping for a decent blu ray player to replace my Sony DVD I got back in  2001.
I am looking at the Oppo 83, which is at the top of my price range ($350ish) and would appreciate any other suggestions, I remember a Sony unit mentioned around here a few months ago that was lauded for its "bang for the buck", does anyone remember what model that may have been ?

Thanks,
Drew

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 7
I have one of these.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=BluRayDVD&SubCatId=0&ProductId=UD5005

They can be had used for less than $400 easily on audiogon.

I'm not much a videophile, but the picture is way better than my PS3 was, and it does a good job on audio, also has optical out if you happen to run an external DAC. I feel like it's a great unit for the price, bonus you also get SACD and DVDA compatibility.

You have lots of options in your price range and probably no one will be exponentially better than another for the same price, so check for the features you want, make sure the looks and build quality are livable, and you're set.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 7
Are you going to be using it for audio? I so, I'd pick up a Marantz.

If not, I can recommend the $100 Panasonic I use. Can't remember the model number, but it's their least expensive offering. No bells'n'whistles, but it's dependable and puts up a nice picture for these myopic and astigmatic eyes. :D

I get the web features from an AppleTV and have standalone SACD and DVD-A players for the silver discs.

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks guys .
i probably want wifi capability and definitely need dvd-a and sacd , since it is replacing a unit with those capabilitys.

Any other good suggestions?

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 7
The Oppo stuff is great.  I have the BDP-83 Special Edition, which stands up well to my Musical Fidelity A5 (which costs 3x as much), and the Oppo plays SACDs as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back