Blu-ray or HD-DVD
May 15, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #46 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
Hopefully they'll be careful about re-releases regardless of which format "wins". I think people may get pretty angry if they're immediately confronted with new and better versions of every DVD they've spent the last 5 years collecting. If I were in charge, I'd start putting out new releases in DVD and <new format> while also offering older movies that haven't hit DVD yet in <new format>. Then I'd slowly reissue the kajillion movies that are already on DVD. That MIGHT be able to keep people from feeling cheated, as you'd just have a transition from DVD to <new format> rather than a fast replacement.

Prepare to be angry.
very_evil_smiley.gif
When have studios and companies in general not done something like this?

May 15, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #47 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Bingo! It's still fun though.
biggrin.gif

Give me Blu-ray for all the mentioned reasons...tech, supporting companies - manafacturer and content, and name.

If one wishes to replace dvd, why would they remind people of it with the name? HD-DVD is a horrible no ring cacophony. Anyone notice how hard it is to say out loud? Blu - Ray is smoooooooth with a little bit of cool behind it.

The failure of the recent high rez formats audio exemplifies this point. DVD-Audio? Cmon' what is that sellin'? SACD, umm Super Audio Compact Disc? Never remind someone of their last love. Who would date another Angela after they just left the recent one?

Agreed about guessing being fun and I like your take on the name thing. Never really thought of it that way.

May 15, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #48 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorg
I say HVD is probably going to be the best choice in a few years.

Wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

It's going to be way more than a few years before those become mainstream.I believe it's still in the very begining of it's development so i predict a good life span for whichever format is the winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back