Blu-ray or HD-DVD
May 10, 2006 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

jefemeister

Headphoneus Supremus
As it stands now if both of these formats/players were available and you had to pick one or the other which would it be and why?

There are the differences in technology, DRM, storage size, cost of player, cost of disc, compatability with gaming systems, movie studio alignments, PC usage, recordability, supported audio codecs, level of marketing, etc.

May 10, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 48
Bluray clearly is the superior format in every aspect. Except maybe pricing.

EDIT: "Sony is actually releasing some movies with literally uncompressed audio in surround for some of its Blu-ray releases." And that's the most interesting part for me personally.

May 10, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 48
Here's why I think Blu-Ray:

It's the technically superior choice, with more storage space that will make it way easier to release, say, trilogies. Yes HD-DVD's are easier to manufacture (they use existing DVD processes), but consider you will probably need 2 HD DVD's to store what you can on 1 Blu-Ray disc.

Basically, the only other advantage I've heard touted about HD DVD is that it will come out first. But I don't think that's an edge. Everybody will wait to see which format wins. Plus, the average consumer I think could care less. They probably think DVD looks just great, and don't get why they should repurchase movies. Until, that is, they are widely available and the same price as regular DVD's.

May 10, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 48
I'm leaning towards HD-DVD. The only cleard advantage that Bluray has over HD-DVD is storage capacity. However, with the use of more advanced video compression codecs, storage capacity isn't that big of an issue. Other various problems with Bluray is that the data layer is much closer to the bottom of the disc. The protective layer on standard dvds and hd-dvd is 0.6mm. On a Bluray that's 0.1mm. Supposedly they're going to use a more protective material that should cancel out this problem, but who knows. I also believe I've read that due to some technical problem Bluray discs would not be able to do weave different audio tracks into a movie (ex: other languages, audio commentaries). There's some more stuff, but I haven't been keeping up. I'll probably revisit the debate when prices for the players start to drop a bit.

Here's an interesting article:
http://www.betanews.com/article/HD_D...ems/1136673259
Be advised however that this is coming from an HD-DVD rep and it's a few months old, so a few things may have changed since then. But this and other reports I've read seem to suggest Bluray's having more technical problems than the HD-DVD camp.

May 10, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 48
I'll go with neither format is practically superior and Blu-Ray is merely a ploy to get licencing revenue.

The storage thing is a non-issue as both easily have enough space for 3 hour movies in 1080P with your choice of surround sound format.

All I really care about is for TI (or other chipmaker) getting off of their asses and providing some specialized ASICs for use with these players. The prices (and startup times) for the current gen using general purpose processors is ridiculous.

May 10, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitoedleon
I'm leaning towards HD-DVD. The only cleard advantage that Bluray has over HD-DVD is storage capacity. However, with the use of more advanced video compression codecs, storage capacity isn't that big of an issue.

I'm always seeing compression as being equal to loss of quality, which is of course not correct when using lossless compression. However I think space is the most deciding factor in regard to most things. Did I mention uncompressed audio already?
tongue.gif

May 10, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 48
its too early to tell, but from whats seen so far, HD-dvd looks like the winner due to being backwards compatable using the same laser. being able to use current DVD producing equipment to make HD is a huge plus, as well.

blu-ray is for the sony and DRM whores
HD-DVD is for the practical, realistic people

May 10, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitoedleon
Both formats will use the same video codecs, which are all lossy. Dolby and DTS are also lossy as well.

"Worries About Compression?
In high resolution audio compression is a huge issue related to the quality of the sound of an album. A trained ear can hear compression with ease. In Blu-ray there is 25 to 50 Gb of data space on the disc thus there is plenty of room for audio of all formats. Sony is actually releasing some movies with literally uncompressed audio in surround for some of its Blu-ray releases."

http://www.avrev.com/news/0306/08.blu_ray.shtml

About the layer thing on bluray:

"Blu-ray, unlike HD DVD, requires a hard coating on its discs because it’s 0.5m closer to the surface. The polymer coating it uses, called Durabis, was developed by TDK and is supposedly extremely resilient and fingerprint resistant."

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/b...on-s-division/

May 10, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 48
I believe both manufacturers want to keep a competitive edge over the other.
Some titles depending who owns the licensing will determine which format it comes out with.

Not that one format is clearly superior over the other, but who owns the movie and music titles to win over the other manufacturer in sales.

I believe it is going to be a long and drawn out battle between the media corporations.

My vote, neither.

May 10, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 48
Blu-Ray

1. More space (most imporant. When changing formats, go big.)

2. Name. Two syllables vs. five. We don't need more acronyms. At least they were creative enough to actually COME UP WITH A NAME.

3. PS3 is going to give it a huge kick. I will have a PS3...I don't want to buy another player.

4. It holds more!

May 10, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
Blu-Ray

2. Name. Two syllables vs. five. We don't need more acronyms. At least they were creative enough to actually COME UP WITH A NAME.

LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back