Blox earbuds Discussion (TM7, M2C, ANV3, BE3/BE5/BE7, B160/B320)
Jun 28, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #632 of 1,134
  On bloxearphone, BLOX BE7 on sale. Is it the new flagship?

Hmm, I don't know but I would say no. Isn't "TM-X" version their usual flagship line ? like TM5 and TM7 was, I would say normally the next one should be named TM9.
After checking blox website, BE7 is the exact same price and photo as BE5 and since nothing is written on the pairs directly but on the box, so they can easily replace their box sheet from BE5 to BE7 to finally sell their BE5 stock that wasn't be able to be sold for a long time now; but it would be daring!

Jun 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #634 of 1,134

No, it's a differently tuned BE5.

Probably a good idea cause it wasn't what people, including me, expected it to be tuned like.

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #635 of 1,134
I emailed Blox on the difference and Woo responded:

BE7 has more flexible diaphragm and was tuned by different techniques,the
rest is same to BE5,They look the same but sound completely different:
BE5 has thicker ,warmer and more mellow sound,while BE7 has more
clarity,better seperation and bigger soundstage,more airy.
so over all BE7 is better than BE5.

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #636 of 1,134
I am really puzzled by BLOX's  marketing techniques, wouldn't it be easier for them to state this exact information in their webpage instead of making people email them and respond to each person at a time?
deadhorse.gif

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #637 of 1,134
I emailed Blox on the difference and Woo responded:

BE7 has more flexible diaphragm and was tuned by different techniques,the
rest is same to BE5,They look the same but sound completely different:
BE5 has thicker ,warmer and more mellow sound,while BE7 has more
clarity,better seperation and bigger soundstage,more airy.
so over all BE7 is better than BE5.

Then the BE7 should sound a lot like the TC100. The BE5 wasn't any warmer than the TG38S(my pair anyway) and both Tingo's have more impact and feel which was softer with the BLOX BE5's bass. I had a nice fit and subscribe to (and have heard) buds get a bit warmer later on with hours but the BE5 I had just wasn't ever going to be that thick warm and mellow. Only a bit north of neutral down low and the coherency wasn't perfect cause the mids and highs were clearer and thinner(and the low end shouldn't take over 100 hours to clean up). Seems like they weren't happy with the stiffer diaphragm either and kept working on it. A more flexible diaphragm would exactly solve what I heard wrong with the BE5. I am not the kind that believes in brain burn-in. That lack of coherency is either fixed in some way by mod or the right piece of gear being paired etc. but I was never gonna get used to it. It would actually start to bother me more as time went on. 

Funny Woo(if he did say that) said it was better. Then why the same price? Kinda gives me the impression that it was a fix if you don't change the price but declared it better to someone. BE7 Kinda confirms what I said a while back about the BE5. That BLOX is going more in the neutral direction and away from the warm bassy funner BLOX sound of old. BE5 was too far in that direction already for me. I found the Aiwa I have now and it is more what I hoped the BE5 was.

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #638 of 1,134
jant71, from Woo's description, do you think the BE7 is an improvement enough to get even though I already have the BE5? I do enjoy the BE5's warmth and no sibilance. I'm afraid making it airier might make the highs more prominent.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #639 of 1,134
 I sold my BE5 but still have the Toshiba that I compared them to and the Tingo TC100 does all of those things to the similar to BE5(but warmer sounding) Toshiba. It is airier, thinner, clearer, much bigger stage, detail is greater. No sibilance. Sibilance is not automatic but depends on the tuning(I think BE7 Shouldn't have a sibilance issue). Bass will be thinner and less warm if the BE7 are that much open and airier across the whole range because the bass will be as well. I'm pretty sure Woo means technically better as in the detail is greater, stage is lager, separation will be easier to hear etc. but if that is against your sound preference you might just not deem this an improvement.

Depends on a person's taste. For me I had that happen with the Toshiba buds vs. the BE5.The BE5 was a bit better in certain areas like treble clarity and extension. Technically a bit better but I found the Toshiba more enjoyable and sold the BE5. I just grabbed the Toshiba more and every time I A/B'd them I continued listening to the Toshiba and put the BLOX away even if it was overall a 10%(estimate) better performer technically. Now my Tingo TC100 is quite bright, much bigger stage than those and just about too airy as they are thin and need to be filled in with more juice from an amp/more powerful DAP to fill it in and add warmth but I really can't listen to the Toshiba anymore. Too small, muddy sounding, and lacking in extension and detail in comparison. So, on the one hand I preferred the even warmer Toshiba over the BE5 and then the TC100 over the Toshiba even though it went totally back in the other direction. That is due to other factors and a larger improvement than ~10%; the BE5 and Toshiba sound like buds and the TC100 sound more like a full size headphone which is great even if it sounds like I'm running an AKG out of a 5mw per channel Sony. I'll build around it cause it is good enough to me and I'm due to update my DAP anyhow and I'll factor in the match with the TC100 into my choice.

Since they are the same make and same housing you can run them through a decent EQ on your player or computer and try to simulate and see how you like the result. Or the quicker, easier simulation by pulling the BLOX slightly further from your ears which will have a similar result. A bit more driver distance will make them airier, less warm, and sound cleaner right off the bat. Play around and see if you can get the idea and see how you like what happens. Not exact but you may just get enough info to help make your choice out.

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #640 of 1,134
BE7 ordered  but i already regrets considering it's just a fix  and not really a new model, I was more interested by Sunrise SW-Dragon II for the same price but i don't see a lot of feedback on them.

Jun 29, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #641 of 1,134
  BE7 ordered  but i already regrets considering it's just a fix  and not really a new model, I was more interested by Sunrise SW-Dragon II for the same price but i don't see a lot of feedback on them.

120 ohm is tough to drive if you don't have an amp. If you are just using a player or phone you might not have the volume headroom for using the Sunrise on the go. BLOX are easier to drive and tuned the same way; big/airy, clear, transparent. BLOX would be the safer choice but the Dragon has better packaging/accessories. Chances are you paid the same price and get the same type of sound so what is there to regret really?

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #642 of 1,134
I've been impressed by there look, they seem comfortable like yuin and packaging/accessories wise. I am using a dac/amp only with my laptop but not with my phone.
So you're right blox is a safer choice. May be if the sunrise price drop, i will try them.
thank you.

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #643 of 1,134
For my ears the be5 are much warmer and fuller sounding than the tc100, maybe the tc100 is slightly better in the mid-upper range with better clarity. The only thing I find wrong with the be5 is accuracy, here and there instruments tend to sound a bit unnatural esp in the upper range. I wonder if the be7 fixed that.

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #644 of 1,134
I think i have to disagree with the state that be7 are better be5. Isn't that just a matter of preference ? Some might prefer the more warmer be5 and others (including me) the clarity and detail of be7. 

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #645 of 1,134
  I think i have to disagree with the state that be7 are better be5. Isn't that just a matter of preference ? Some might prefer the more warmer be5 and others (including me) the clarity and detail of be7. 

Well usually they take preference out of it. So, if true, a bigger stage would be deemed as better, if it is clearer Woo would state that as better, the separation, etc. Until I find my new portable that can match with my TC100, I'll say the TG38S is better for outside. The bigger stage and airiness thin it out and I prefer the TG38S as it has the thickness to be absorbed/cancelled out by external noise. So, the bigger clearer sounding one is the choice at home. Preference and usage come into play. An analytical listen in a place with no external noise and the TC100 is a clear upgrade in technical ability, lower reach on the bass, bigger stage, more accurate in tone and positioning, mids aren't recessed and are cleaner, resolution and transparency are greater, more impact even if they are thinner and more separated down low. Yet the TG-38S is "better" for on the go.

So, no problem with Woo stating it as better if it performs better technically in some aspects.  Objectively better is what Woo is talking about and different than preference which is subjective and includes all the differing variables which no seller can really account for such as fit, gear synergy, differing tastes, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back