Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Dec 21, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #5,011 of 6,129
Yes BT and TWS seems to be where the newer generation of audio enthusiasts are heading. Majority of IEMs/headphones I see on the ears of consumers on the subway, buses and shopping centres seem to be TWS/BT types. My nephews and nieces only use wireless gear too, they refuse to consider any wired gear I recommend them.

I mean wireless gear is catching up with wired, no question about that, but the irony is that TWS/BT types get obsolete very soon due to new BT tech/codecs, and battery life also generally gets worse and worse with each charging.
Yeah, ain't that the truth. I've got 2 issues with TWS. One...battery life is generally abysmal. Some people bitch about the battery life in dac/amps and daps. Still, 8-12 hours on a one of those, is still WAY more than on a TWS set. Two...all the TWS sets I've tried (including over ears headphones like Sony WH1000 MK.3, Sennheiser HD 5 series and Momentum, Bose, etc.) don't have good quality built in amps to properly drive them to loud enough levels. The lack of power causes distortion, or just caps the volume via dsp. I never have that problem with my Fiio Q1MK2 dac/amp or my Earsonics ES100 portable bluetooth dac/amp. Until manufacturers can figure out battery life and more power in TWS, I'm sticking to a good quality portable dac/amp with a wired connection. Love the SQ from my ES100 and will be buying a Qudelix k5 soon, before I buy anything TWS.

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #5,012 of 6,129
Does BL01 have the same magical timbre as BL-03 or is it inferior from this point of view?

different magic have different effects depending on the target.. like fire magic is more effective to ice target, or water magic is better against fire target

for me, the BL01 is more effective than the BL03
i played too much RPGs growing up, apparently, sorry for the weird analogy :sweat_smile:

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #5,013 of 6,129
Dec 21, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #5,014 of 6,129
I finally did the mesh mod on my BL03 this weekend, and I’ve been enjoying it. So it got me curious. It seems I’m one of the few who actually somewhat likes my BL05, with Final E tips. The upper mids are not overwhelming or too shouty for me. While the bass sounds cleaner than BL03, it could use more ”snappiness”. So I removed the mesh (same as BL03), and as predicted, the bass sounded a bit more percussive, and “faster”, but the upper mids were then shouty, and the treble became a too sharp at times. I recently purchased the Moondrop filters for the Starfield, KXXS, KPE, and used them to replace the BLON filters on the BL05. Well, very early impressions are that the bass is still faster and cleaner than stock, the mids are similar to stock. maybe ever so slightly less intense, and the treble seems to have more sparkle and clarity, I think switching the filters improves the technicalities of the BL05. Now I wonder how it compares to the BL05s. Those that have some Moondrop filters should try this out. It is reversible if you take care after you remove the BLON filters.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #5,015 of 6,129
What do you mean kinda. It must be?
Ok...it very well be. I just don't give enough of a s**t about her music to study her looks. She's cute enough looking, but as a guy in my 50's, I see her more as a video tramp, than a serious artist. Kinda like a new age Brittany Spears. Not really interested.

Dec 22, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #5,016 of 6,129
@IEMusic, so on Aliexpress, you chose the Moondrop T41 filters for the Blon Bl05? I guess it doesn't matter which box I check, since Starfield, Spaceship, KPE and KXXS are all listed separately and the dealer lists them all as using T41 filters?? Thanks

Dec 22, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #5,017 of 6,129
@IEMusic, so on Aliexpress, you chose the Moondrop T41 filters for the Blon Bl05? I guess it doesn't matter which box I check, since Starfield, Spaceship, KPE and KXXS are all listed separately and the dealer lists them all as using T41 filters?? Thanks
I actually purchased them directly from Shenzhen Audio. I chose the Starfield and the KPE filters, and they are the same. The ones for the S8 and Blessing 2 are only screens, and not filters, just to keep wax and debris out of the sound tubes, but don’t alter sound. I think the tuning filters that are of a different size are the ones for the SSR/SSP, smaller I think. I didn’t purchase them though.

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #5,018 of 6,129
i delegated my BL01 for TWS duty with my BT20S Pro. now, along with the T2 Plus, i got two "tuned more expensive than they should" sound on the go.
Sorry if I missed it but can you offer a comparison of the two?

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #5,019 of 6,129
Sorry if I missed it but can you offer a comparison of the two?

T2 Plus is light V shaped, better bass response, easier to drive from a smartphone. It has a bit more detail and a slightly better soundstage. Standard cable and tips are heaps better.

BL01 is much, much harder to drive, much like the BL05S it has a weightier presentation and better timbre (not that it's a weakness of the T2 Plus). Sound signature is almost W shaped

Price is quite different, for the price of the T2 Plus you could virtually pick up the original T2 and the BL01, and in the eyes of any true Chi-Fi enthusiast, 2 IEMs are better than 1.

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #5,020 of 6,129

Their ad on Aliexpress is a bundle of their foam eartips (link) + filters. In this case, they have 2 foam models: T41 and T55, which means 4.11mm x 5.5mm inner diameter, available in S/M/L sizes, and you gotta leave a message to them on your order specifying what model you need.

As IEMusic said, KPE/KXXS/Starfield use the same filter, so whichever you pick you'll get the same result as IEMusic.

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #5,021 of 6,129
Their ad on Aliexpress is a bundle of their foam eartips (link) + filters. In this case, they have 2 foam models: T41 and T55, which means 4.11mm x 5.5mm inner diameter, available in S/M/L sizes, and you gotta leave a message to them on your order specifying what model you need.

As IEMusic said, KPE/KXXS/Starfield use the same filter, so whichever you pick you'll get the same result as IEMusic.
Oh, and via Shenzhen Audio, I only purchased the filters, and it came with plastic tweezers, which I must admit, are really nice and work great. I didn’t purchase them bundled with the mistips, so $5 instead of $9.

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #5,022 of 6,129
Oh, and via Shenzhen Audio, I only purchased the filters, and it came with plastic tweezers, which I must admit, are really nice and work great. I didn’t purchase them bundled with the mistips, so $5 instead of $9.

Gotcha, actually Moondrop official store on Aliexpress is ShenzhenAudio in disguise. I was the guy who asked them on their discord to put the filters available on Aliexpress because the SZA's website shipping option to Brazil is super slow and AE is way faster, so they said due to freight reasons they'd only offer the bundle on Aliexpress to reach the minimum for the "free shipping". Tanchjim will release new tips, so might I can convince them to offer this bundle of eartips + filters, but for the Tanchjim filters in this case. :D

I'm still curious about your thoughts on KXXS filters on FDX1, though. They really have great synergy as well IMO.

-

filter.jpg

BTW, I've tried putting the KXXS filter on BL-01, but the result might be too "flat/natural" since the BL-01 already is more even than the BL-05 overall. Also, you need more volume to reach the same loudness level as the stock configuration.

FR:
(disclaimer: Boya MIC + vinyl tube. Take it with a pinch of salt, especially the treble extension and bass level.)

Using the same volume 40/100:
graph.png

Matched at 1k @~84.5dB:
graph2.png

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #5,024 of 6,129
I'm still curious about your thoughts on KXXS filters on FDX1, though. They really have great synergy as well IMO.
Oh, I forgot to try this. Will do.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #5,025 of 6,129
Gotcha, actually Moondrop official store on Aliexpress is ShenzhenAudio in disguise. I was the guy who asked them on their discord to put the filters available on Aliexpress because the SZA's website shipping option to Brazil is super slow and AE is way faster, so they said due to freight reasons they'd only offer the bundle on Aliexpress to reach the minimum for the "free shipping". Tanchjim will release new tips, so might I can convince them to offer this bundle of eartips + filters, but for the Tanchjim filters in this case. :D

-

11386097.jpg

BTW, I've tried putting the KXXS filter on BL-01, but the result might be too "flat/natural" since the BL-01 already is more even than the BL-05 overall. Usually filters only tame upper-mids/treble but the KXXS filter has an extra layer for anti-moisture clogging, which makes it like a sandwich compared to the flatness on Blon's filter. It fills the entire "pit" on the nozzle and I think that's the reason why it affects the entire FR. Personally, it's a bit boring to me, but might flat-heads will like it.

FR:
(disclaimer: Boya MIC + vinyl tube. Take it with a pinch of salt, especially the treble extension and bass level.)
graph.png
FIY, you need to volume match them at 1k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back