Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Dec 13, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #4,907 of 6,129
Well, it will take a few days to get a hold of this in realistic terms. Very different than regular tips. The IEMs are somehow getting the mids and treble opened due to a different soundstage. I’m not sure? The treble and midrange were almost compressed before......yet now not?

Maybe sound waves aren't that choked when tips are wide bore vs common narrow bore ones. An 8kHz EQ 2-3db bump and crisp treble is back. I miss the bass quantity that foam tips provide but at least it's still tight. So you're right on that open-back headphone like sound

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #4,908 of 6,129
I've been using inverted tips for over a year, or extra large 14.5mm misdoku tips. The only snag with inverted tips is, they tend to stay in your ear, or fall off because they are more slippy on the nozzle. Especially on the Blon earphones. Superglue is helpful, although it is frowned upon by @Slater

Yah the frustration especially when the tips gets all oily lol, guess I'm lucky that the stock 03 tips when flipped fits right on the 03 & mh750 nozzles after flipping all tips at my home haha

Any generic tips that measures the same bore as stock 03 tips? I need a stockpile of these hahahaha

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #4,909 of 6,129
Maybe sound waves aren't that choked when tips are wide bore vs common narrow bore ones. An 8kHz EQ 2-3db bump and crisp treble is back. I miss the bass quantity that foam tips provide but at least it's still tight. So you're right on that open-back headphone like sound

Well, the regular logic is that an open port would get slightly better imaging. Not necessarily counting the fact that it’s hard to measure exactly where the tube length ends as the tip rolls back when placed in ear. So it’s most likely a short nozzle and wide, but also seems like it may have some horn shape quality. I really am going to need to do way more listening. But right off the soundstage is way bigger. Which looking at how the shape of the tip may be inside the ear, that’s a given. Obviously narrow port “long tube” regular tips increase bass frequencies, and yet it has been reduced here in over-all bass quantity. But so far the romantic part is the bass frequency seems to actually be left alone? So what ever has happened here is like the solution to everything. With for me anyway.........there seems like better imaging due to separation in the bigger soundstage?

1) bigger soundstage
2) tighter bass
3) spread out the treble detail
4) spread out midrange detail
5) also seemingly changing the perception of bass speed too?

Finally it’s making the nozzle of the BL-01 effectively longer too.

Win-win if I’ve ever seen such things?

But yes, it’s a far distance from that imaged deep-bass with foam tips.....like Sony Triple Comforts. But to me all the other benefits are more important....and the bass is like an openback headphone with that positioning!

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #4,910 of 6,129
Well, the regular logic is that an open port would get slightly better imaging. Not necessarily counting the fact that it’s hard to measure exactly where the tube length ends as the tip rolls back when placed in ear. So it’s most likely a short nozzle and wide, but also seems like it may have some horn shape quality. I really am going to need to do way more listening. But right off the soundstage is way bigger. Which looking at how the shape of the tip may be inside the ear, that’s a given. Obviously narrow port “long tube” regular tips increase bass frequencies, and yet it has been reduced here in over-all bass quantity. But so far the romantic part is the bass frequency seems to actually be left alone? So what ever has happened here is like the solution to everything.

1) bigger soundstage
2) tighter bass
3) spread out the treble detail
4) spread out midrange detail
5) also seemingly changing the perception of bass speed too?

Finally it’s making the nozzle of the BL-01 effectively longer too.

Win-win if I’ve ever seen such things?

They seal like suction cups too haha, also curious on that recently discussed foam mod on silicone tips if it'll provide even better results on flipped tips

Paging eartips manufacturers hehe

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #4,911 of 6,129
They seal like suction cups too haha, also curious on that recently discussed foam mod on silicone tips if it'll provide even better results on flipped tips

Paging eartips manufacturers hehe

I have a bunch of tips I’m planning to “invert” but I was surprised that another pair I did ended too small? Where these seem way too big but then somehow get slightly smaller as that section rolls back as the nozzle goes in. So these were actually fairly long tips. Which means that long tips end up having (if they are big) more material to roll back during the insertion process. A short tip would remain primarily in it’s original shape. Also it seems like longer tips create a bigger circumstance in over all diameter due to more material length-wise have the ability to spread out?

These are just guessed ideas? The way you learn is by trying long and short tips of various sizes and seeing the outcome?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #4,912 of 6,129
Yah the frustration especially when the tips gets all oily lol, guess I'm lucky that the stock 03 tips when flipped fits right on the 03 & mh750 nozzles after flipping all tips at my home haha

Any generic tips that measures the same bore as stock 03 tips? I need a stockpile of these hahahaha
Haha, no I usually keep old tips just in case, but I usually throw Blon tips away, they are made for children I guess, and I'm a big bloke with matching ear cavities.

Dec 13, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #4,913 of 6,129
I've been using inverted tips for over a year, or extra large 14.5mm misdoku tips. The only snag with inverted tips is, they tend to stay in your ear, or fall off because they are more slippy on the nozzle. Especially on the Blon earphones. Superglue is helpful, although it is frowned upon by @Slater

You can tie tips on with a small piece of dental floss. This prevents them from falling off. Much better than glue.

Dec 13, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #4,914 of 6,129
You can tie tips on with a small piece of dental floss. This prevents them from falling off. Much better than glue.
I think you could use an o-ring to get it more secured.

Dec 13, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #4,915 of 6,129
I think you could use an o-ring to get it more secured.

Hmmm, o ring usually makes the tip longer on the nozzle. It doesn't really prevent a tip from falling off. Maybe you can explain what you mean?

The dental floss actually ties the tip on, and secures it like a rock. It will never fall off unless you want to remove it by undoing the dental floss.

Dec 13, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #4,916 of 6,129
Hmmm, o ring usually makes the tip longer on the nozzle. It doesn't really prevent a tip from falling off. Maybe you can explain what you mean?

The dental floss actually ties the tip on, and secures it like a rock. It will never fall off unless you want to remove it by undoing the dental floss.
20201213_212425.jpg

Blon 03

Putting the o ring on the stems and then put it on the iem. So the o ring will secure it better.

Dec 13, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #4,917 of 6,129
Ok, I took the mod a step further.

20201213_214632.jpg

I switched out the previous tip I had on it (JVC Spiral dot ++) and changed it with some Azla sedan tips. Since the spiral dots are too soft, you can only pick using o-ring on the nozzle (which extends the tip and thus get a better fit) or you could use the o-ring on the stem of the tips (and make it not fall off all the time).

With the azla tips however, you can use both mods at the same time. So now I am getting the extended fit with the o-ring on the nozzle itself on the 03 and another (the smaller one) is on the stem on the tip to make it better secured.

I tried pulling it with force and it stays on. So it should never fall off by accident now.

O-ring on the tip measurement:
Size: 8mm
DIA: 1.5mm

I forgot what the measurement on the o ring on the nozzle is though...but it is bigger than 1.5mm in diameter at least.

Do I get a passing score, professor @Slater? :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #4,918 of 6,129
Dec 13, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #4,919 of 6,129
56DA07CF-D620-4C04-8BC0-DE68A350E5A8.jpeg
75BE7732-60A9-4DB8-9428-405CD808D851.jpeg

50407CA5-2A59-4E6B-8D30-853ACD3DB643.jpeg

Stock eartips vs Flipped

subjectively sounds very similar to the E-Pro or Eartunes horn shaped eartips.
Slightly expanded width with less congestion. Better sealing leads to smidgen more bass energy. Shallower fit leads to slightly hazy center imaging.

Dec 13, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #4,920 of 6,129
56DA07CF-D620-4C04-8BC0-DE68A350E5A8.jpeg75BE7732-60A9-4DB8-9428-405CD808D851.jpeg
50407CA5-2A59-4E6B-8D30-853ACD3DB643.jpeg
Stock eartips vs Flipped

subjectively sounds very similar to the E-Pro or Eartunes horn shaped eartips.
Slightly expanded width with less congestion. Better sealing leads to smidgen more bass energy. Shallower fit leads to slightly hazy center imaging.

What about the other type of tips that are included? On my Blons, they include 2 different types of tips. One is that cone shaped one, and the other is a more traditional type. I wonder how you’d like the other one flipped?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back