Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Dec 6, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #4,741 of 6,129
My BLONS BL01 has been hanging out with the big boys, and man! Can they hang!!!
I've tried different BLON cables with the BL01, but the SILVER BLON CABLES did it for me! ...They can really take on the heavy weights with the Silver cables!

Silver cables will easily drive these to a more mature and professional level, IMHO!

Do you think that the banned Y***** 16-core silver cable, the one that's blue/silver, would do?

I meant to use it on a KZ [probably ZS7], and never did. Otherwise, the NiceHCK SPC seems good.

Dec 6, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #4,742 of 6,129
So let me get this straight. The BL-01 are either low-res sounding and not worth it even at the price, or they can succeed the 03 and even remind one of their IER-Z1R?

three-finger-salute-good-luck.gif

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #4,743 of 6,129
So let me get this straight. The BL-01 are either low-res sounding and not worth it even at the price, or they can succeed the 03 and even remind one of their IER-Z1R?

There may truly end up conflicting opinions. Truth to be told they are something as they show the differences between the 1A and Walkman 1Z, actually pretty drastically. Obviously the IER-Z1R is more detailed. And.....there is truly a very slow BL-01 “floor” on the bass sub, which doesn’t seem to own any PRaT? But inside of that and above that there is real bass tone, timbre and texture. The overall approach is that the IER-Z1R and BLON BL-01 have exactly the same tune. The BLON at times may have slightly more bass? Obviously the IER-Z1R bass is way better. But the midrange of the BLON BL-01 and the IER are very close to being in the same place. The treble is of course where they diverge but considering one is $23 and one $1600?

It’s probably going to be very diversified what opinions are. Though this is the style of IEM that loves juice. If people are having troubles on their phone they may have to delegate the BL-01 to home desktop use?

But in my headphone journey I have never had a $20 something IEM sound this good. I went from MrWalkman DMP-Z1 emulation MK2 on the 1A then changed to the 1Z with emulation MK1, both on high gain and in direct mode. Volume needs even then to be fairly high.

I foresee power demand issues causing confusion among owners. Some will have enough power, some will not.

You are going to have a side that loves massive BA detail, or forward mid detail and they may become discouraged by the warm and forgiving tone which has been established as the BL-01 tone? Also burn-in is important as they need 20-30 hours before sounding themselves. I’m also using a 4.4mm balanced cable and tips which are big (actually magic) on IEM imaging. Just like many don’t like the IER-Z1R, many may want an overall faster and more midrange and treble detailed experience.......that’s always been the subjective preference differences at Head-Fi. In chance there is variables between units, the personal tone preferences around here make that phenomenon in question seem even more of a reality. Tips are everything after you have enough power to the BL-01.

Typically people perceive forward midrange and bright treble as detail. The BLON BL-01 has nether. The IER makes it’s way by offering soundstage/separation/positioning and texture/tone/timbre, and the mini DD supertweeter for a style of detail. But the IER is not the most detailed TOTL. The detail the BL-01 does is due to a coherency and correct balance. It’s not detail from brightness, but is warm and almost syrup like in detail. The IER and BL-01 are primarily the same in overall tone.

Obviously a $23 and $1600 IEM will not be 100% similar?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #4,744 of 6,129
Are you saying the 01 can hang with the LZ A7?! Asking i've been considering the A7.
It's like when your little brother hangs out with you and your friends, but he doesn't know what goes on half the time, though he's learning new traits along the way. The BLONS are like that. They are incredibly capable and good for their price point, but they are no where near the potential and league of the A7's or even the NM2+ when it comes to precision and hi-end audio sound. Though, they are potentially good and up to 4 times their price, IMHO.

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #4,745 of 6,129
It's like when your little brother hangs out with you and your friends, but he doesn't know what goes on half the time, though he's learning new traits along the way. The BLONS are like that. They are incredibly capable and good for their price point, but they are no where near the potential and league of the A7's or even the NM2+ when it comes to precision and hi-end audio sound. Though, they are potentially good and up to 4 times their price, IMHO.

sorry, can't relate, as I'm the youngest of 5 siblings :smile:
jokes aside, my A7 and BL01 (along with the Tape Pro) have just cleared customs of my country, so i can't wait to test them both personally

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #4,746 of 6,129
Do you think that the banned Y***** 16-core silver cable, the one that's blue/silver, would do?

I meant to use it on a KZ [probably ZS7], and never did. Otherwise, the NiceHCK SPC seems good.
I wouldn't know since I don't have them, but the silver cables specifically made for the BLONS are in a whole other level...

O1CN01QDYvd81r4ltFylY5V_!!2357955578.jpg

They definitely raise the bar for the budget BL01, IMHO.

You can buy them here...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000960130815.html?

or

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.44492e8dI2BbBt&id=631732698198&_u=7206rtltrab613

-Clear

Dec 7, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #4,747 of 6,129
Very early days with the Blon-01. Sub-bass Hans Zimmer 'Why so serious', 3.20 onwards......Good. Bass 2PAQ, Ambitionz Az A Ridah.....Good. Double Bass and trumpets Ornette Coleman, 'Focus on Sanity' good, needs a bit more volume than other tracks. These cost me £11.83p. Performance to price.......exceptional. Used TRi Through 4.4mm cable, Azla Sedna Earfit Large tips, HiBy R5 4.4mm balanced, 32/100 high gain. Pretty loud on the HiBy R5. No glare or strange peaks to my ears. Early days but I've got a good'un and absurdly good value for under £12. We'll see after break-in, brain burn in and any other burn in. I like them a lot.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #4,748 of 6,129
Very early days with the Blon-01. Sub-bass Hans Zimmer 'Why so serious', 3.20 onwards......Good. Bass 2PAQ, Ambitionz Az A Ridah.....Good. Double Bass and trumpets Ornette Coleman, 'Focus on Sanity' good, needs a bit more volume than other tracks. These cost me £11.83p. Performance to price.......exceptional. Used TRi Through 4.4mm cable, Azla Sedna Earfit Large tips, HiBy R5 4.4mm balanced, 32/100 high gain. Pretty loud on the HiBy R5. No glare or strange peaks to my ears. Early days but I've got a good'un and absurdly good value for under £12. We'll see after break-in, brain burn in and any other burn in. I like them a lot.

Coincidentally I was listening to this today. Mind-boggling with the BL-01.

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #4,750 of 6,129
Coincidentally I was listening to this today. Mind-boggling with the BL-01.

Very good track. The Philarmonic Wind Orchestra version (just found it on Amazon HD) of the same track is great too. These are serious IEM's for fish and chips money. There is a definitely a wizard working at Blon. I have 2 great Blon 03's and now this Blon-01 which has some 'magic' too.

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #4,751 of 6,129
Very good track. The Philarmonic Wind Orchestra version (just found it on Amazon HD) of the same track is great too. These are serious IEM's for fish and chips money. There is a definitely a wizard working at Blon. I have 2 great Blon 03's and now this Blon-01 which has some 'magic' too.

The BL-01 can make a person listen to OST music. :) I was surprised at that today.

This I’m going to have to try. This OST was standard as equipment test music in 2018. I used the album so much, it actually reminds me of 2018?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #4,752 of 6,129
The BL-01 can make a person listen to OST music. :) I was surprised at that today.

This I’m going to have to try. This OST was standard as equipment test music in 2018. I used the album so much, it actually reminds me of 2018?

For those lucky enough to have a good pair these are a phenomenon. But it seems that there is a lot of unit variation which reminds me of the problems with the Blon 03. Lot's of people had substandard versions. The problem is QC and variation because of such a cheap price. There is little QC....it's down to lady luck. Such a shame because these punch way above their weight.....if you get a good pair.

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #4,753 of 6,129
For those lucky enough to have a good pair these are a phenomenon. But it seems that there is a lot of unit variation which reminds me of the problems with the Blon 03. Lot's of people had substandard versions. The problem is QC and variation because of such a cheap price. There is little QC....it's down to lady luck. Such a shame because these punch way above their weight.....if you get a good pair.
Do the BL03s still have a lot of sample variation? I thought it was more significant at first, but over time, the units have seemed more consistent. If that’s the case, hopefully variability will decrease with the BL01 over time as well.

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #4,754 of 6,129
Do the BL03s still have a lot of sample variation? I thought it was more significant at first, but over time, the units have seemed more consistent. If that’s the case, hopefully variability will decrease with the BL01 over time as well.
Very possible the Blon 03 have improved. My first pair were early in the Blon 03 days, then I got a back up later. They sound exactly the same....excellent.... if cables and tip changes, and barrel extension mods were done. Some others at the time thought they were nothing much. I got the Blon 01 and forgot about it and they turned up with me having forgotten they were coming. To my ears, and the extremes of sound may have been lost with age, these are stupendous for the money. I hope that most get a good pair because for the money these are something else. They are just simply...very good.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #4,755 of 6,129
To those who are saying that the 01 is screechy and has less bass than the 03, check that hole near the barrel isn't blocked by your ear. I've found if you jam them in too tight, they sound anaemic and screechy like the 05. It is very easy to block. It's worth a try to tip roll to prevent the hold from being blocked. Mine sounded a tad mid bass shy at first, but then sounded great after 30 minutes. Wasn't sure if it was brain burn in or tip, fit issues. I'm using a large spin fit on mine. My usual extra large missdoko tips weren't great for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back