Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Nov 28, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #4,546 of 6,129
87E74240-ABFF-4BDE-A324-65862E6B850C.jpeg

Blon BL-01($23) vs Sony IER-Z1R ($1,690 on BF sale)

Tonality wise Sony is mild v-shaped with a bass boost. Z1R is coherent for hybrid setup but BL-01 with a single DD sounds more cohesive. High string timbre is more accurate on Blon where as low stringed instruments sound tonally more correct on Z1R. Woodwinds also sounds bit more accurate on the Bl-01. Now keep in mind I am just casually comparing the two out of my iPhone tonight; not on my dedicated DAC nor DAPs. Technicalities are not as a wide gap as I thought for the classical music. I feel Z1R’s depressed upper Mids really take away many textures from violin section where Blon has no problem extracting and showcases all here. This in turn evens out some of BL-01’s resolution deficiencies. Z1R sounds bit distant compared to the BL-01 as it’s not properly driven. Imaging is much better on Z1R even on my phone and instrumental separation is noticeably better. Musicality wise both are equally enjoyable.

D7FEBFD4-BC1F-4736-8D91-F118DCCD0E79.jpeg
Wow, wow, wow. I trust your judgement and your ear. I have these on the way and they cost me half the price of the Blon O3. To play such hallowed music to such a standard is amazing. My only fear with them is Unit Variance....because of the price. Brave listening.

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #4,547 of 6,129

Tonality wise Sony is mild v-shaped with a bass boost. Z1R is coherent for hybrid setup but BL-01 with a single DD sounds more cohesive. High string timbre is more accurate on Blon where as low stringed instruments sound tonally more correct on Z1R. Woodwinds also sounds bit more accurate on the Bl-01. Now keep in mind I am just casually comparing the two out of my iPhone tonight; not on my dedicated DAC nor DAPs. Technicalities are not as a wide gap as I thought for the classical music. I feel Z1R’s depressed upper Mids really take away many textures from violin section where Blon has no problem extracting and showcases all here. This in turn evens out some of BL-01’s resolution deficiencies. Z1R sounds bit distant compared to the BL-01 as it’s not properly driven. Imaging is much better on Z1R even on my phone and instrumental separation is noticeably better. Musicality wise both are equally enjoyable.

That is very encouraging. Mine are on the way!

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #4,548 of 6,129

Thanks for the detailed comparison!

I'd like to highlight that BL-01 needs some power and proper amping to sound its best. In my case, I use Sonata HD Pro as my portable audio equipment, but plugging a cable extension (or jack adapter) before plugging BL-01 bypasses the "low impedance IEM mode" and unleashes its full power and amping potential, providing BL-01 with a more airy and expansive sound, as well as better textured bass.

If you use the Sonata HD Pro and do not "trick it" into high power, you won't be reaching BL-01's potential and you may find it dull or lacking

BTW i'm pleasantly surprised by HOW GOOD BL-01 sounds (when properly amped) . It's ridiculous it only costs around 18 - 20$ ...

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #4,550 of 6,129
Thanks for the detailed comparison!

I'd like to highlight that BL-01 needs some power and proper amping to sound its best. In my case, I use Sonata HD Pro as my portable audio equipment, but plugging a cable extension (or jack adapter) before plugging BL-01 bypasses the "low impedance IEM mode" and unleashes its full power and amping potential, providing BL-01 with a more airy and expansive sound, as well as better textured bass.

If you use the Sonata HD Pro and do not "trick it" into high power, you won't be reaching BL-01's potential and you may find it dull or lacking

BTW i'm pleasantly surprised by HOW GOOD BL-01 sounds (when properly amped) . It's ridiculous it only costs around 18 - 20$ ...
I have the Ibasso dc03 and Shanling ua1, these dacs enough to drive the Bl-01 ?

Nov 28, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #4,552 of 6,129

Thank you for these comparisons... Overall, Sound quality, and cost taking into consideration Blon 01 is hanging in there. Still waiting for mine..

Nov 28, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #4,553 of 6,129
Very nice comparisons and graphs, @tgx78! Thank you! It’s remarkable how well it compares to even a TOTL, at least in tonality, coherence, and naturalness of sound, which have always been BLON‘s claim to fame.

Nov 28, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #4,556 of 6,129
26C88D22-7A08-4075-8F18-7F59DFDEB77F.jpeg

Stay tuned for the battle of optimization.

A careful source & cable matching unleashes moar power to the BL-01.

Oppoty Realized.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #4,557 of 6,129
26C88D22-7A08-4075-8F18-7F59DFDEB77F.jpeg
Stay tuned for the battle of optimization.

A careful source & cable matching unleashes moar power to the BL-01.

Oppoty Realized.
Driams fulfilled?

Nov 28, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #4,558 of 6,129
Nov 28, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #4,559 of 6,129
Tonight, I will change my BL-03 back to the stock setting and compare it to the BL-01 and re-measure them on my couplers. Sometimes I wonder what Crinacle listens to evaluate IEMs. I know he listens to some classical music too, but wonder if he has any classical music background or training. Not questioning his hearing ability or anything since he seems very consistent with his evaluation. Just wondering. I mean hearings are so subjective that I don’t really care what he says as long as I am enjoying what I have in front of me.

Personally I’m almost exclusively evaluating IEMS based on large section orchestral music so I was surprised when he rated TSMR-5 quite lower than how I would rate them. TSMR-5 sounds better than Andromeda when I play my music library for example.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #4,560 of 6,129
Tonight, I will change my BL-03 back to the stock setting and compare it to the BL-01 and re-measure them on my couplers. Sometimes I wonder what Crinacle listens to evaluate IEMs. I know he listens to some classical music too, but wonder if he has any classical music background or training. Anyhow, listening and hearings are so subjective that I don’t really care what he says as long as I am enjoying what I have in front of me. Really appreciate his graph database though.

Personally I’m almost exclusively evaluating IEMS based on large section orchestral music so I was surprised when he rated TSMR-5 quite lower than how I would rate them.
As you know graphs are measurements, and are quantitative. Qualities are not on the graph. Our purely personal, subjective, experiential world is not a graph. A graph is just a representation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back