Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
May 22, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #3,211 of 6,129
When Mr. Slater posted this idea I removed the mesh completely with a needle and noticed positive changes in sound after doing comparisons. It became clearer overall and a little bit more spacious. My pair doesn't have this "bass bloat" many people describe so it was a good mod. The bass is tight and has necessary kick. This mesh can be put back again without problems if you remove it accurately. This is a nice earphone.

May 22, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #3,212 of 6,129
Has anyone tried doing the nozzle mesh mod Slater suggest by separating the original mesh in 2 and using the metal part? The thing is, I want to try the mod, but I don't have any other meshes atm, and I won't be ordering anything soon (covid). So I was wondering, should I try separating the original mesh, will it stick in place, does it have the correct effect? And also, how big is the chance that I'll just ruin the mesh? (As I said, I don't have spares, so... wouldn't want to ruin my best earphones)

I did that. Experimented and it was fairly easy with a pen knife. Just be gentle and go slow since there is always a chance for damage. I didn't try to stick them back together since the sound was to my liking but mine separated cleanly enough that the adhesive was all still intact on the nylon portion, so I think probably able to stick them back together. Though I would still recommend just taking the mesh off and trying it first to see if the sound changes in the direction you like or not first before splitting the mesh.

pBpEnKs.jpg

May 22, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #3,214 of 6,129
I'm loving my blon 05, paired it cp 100 and y inyoo copper cable. Oh man the mids of this iem are superb, the vocals either male of female really shines on this.Bass is also suffcient in my played tracks and I dont find this iem shouty. I've used trinity vyrus and tried all filters but it never sound this good. I can assert that it is better than zsn pro. This iem reminds me of co donguri shizuko with better bass and soundstage. Overall best blind buy that I did. My source was sony nw a35, the warm tonality of my dap blends good with neutral to bright tonality of blon 05. Ymmv though.Im planning to get another pair for back up in case. Maybe ill for shouer tape or thieaudio L3 in the future as a route of upgrade. Hehe.

May 22, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #3,215 of 6,129
Maybe I am reading too much into it; but it would seem that he sees the 05 as a downgrade from the 03.

Not reading too much into at all.

Verbatim from the review:

“But if you’re asking for my expert’s opinion, the BL-03 would probably be preferred by more people.”

“The BL-05 is a valiant attempt with at least some tanglible improvements in the form of its build, but sonically it seems that BLON disregarded what made the BL-03 so popular in the first place.”

I don’t have either IEMs, but yes, I think it’s clear he prefers the BL03 more from their respective grades. In terms of value, he also thinks the BL03 shifted the budget paradigm more so than the BL05.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #3,216 of 6,129
Blon 03, or JVC FDX1 for Rock, Metal ? what do you think?
Thanks
Depends!

The BL-03 will fatten up very dry technical death metal like Obscura, or black metal, but for fuzzy stoner stuff like Mastodon or Baroness I'd probably pick a different set of IEMs.

That said, I haven't heard those JVCs, so I'm only peripherally answering your question.

May 23, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #3,217 of 6,129
Not reading too much into at all.

Verbatim from the review:

“But if you’re asking for my expert’s opinion, the BL-03 would probably be preferred by more people.”

“The BL-05 is a valiant attempt with at least some tanglible improvements in the form of its build, but sonically it seems that BLON disregarded what made the BL-03 so popular in the first place.”

I don’t have either IEMs, but yes, I think it’s clear he prefers the BL03 more from their respective grades. In terms of value, he also thinks the BL03 shifted the budget paradigm more so than the BL05.

Graphs are great for the left brain. The right brain has to put up with the left brain if the left brain becomes the boss.

'No Self, No Problem:'
by Chris Niebauer Ph.D. Amazon Kindle

May 23, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #3,218 of 6,129
Graphs are great for the left brain. The right brain has to put up with the left brain if the left brain becomes the boss.

'No Self, No Problem:'
by Chris Niebauer Ph.D. Amazon Kindle
I recall your dislike for the more subjective opinions of Crinicle. The way I see it, and the way he states it, he provides just one person's opinion, so I take it FWIW, though I do respect it.

May 23, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #3,219 of 6,129
I recall your dislike for the more subjective opinions of Crinicle. The way I see it, and the way he states it, he provides just one person's opinion, so I take it FWIW, though I do respect it.

Graphs are very useful for a basic idea of a sound. Some parts of a sound such as timbre, rhythm etc cannot be conveyed by a graph. I love seeing all the opinions on these threads.....they give me great joy. I'm really not keen on review factories. They don't pay attention to the right brain a major part of our lives. The right brain gives us the whole. Hence some say the Blon 03 has poor technicalities yet.....they love the sound, timbre, etc. That is more balanced.

May 23, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #3,221 of 6,129
So the BLON crowd must LOVE BGGAR!

I do like Crin’s tonality and technical grades that he has implemented for his ranking system, but I don‘t find that the difference between the two is as big as it could and often should be. The BL03 is a prime example. If he wants to knock the technicalities, that’s a fair point (though I find it’s technicalities quite capable), but I think the tonality is pretty universally liked, and thus could‘ve been given a much higher grade. Just a thought.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #3,222 of 6,129
Blon crowd has a hate bonner for crin since he didn't rate it as what they expected it to be.

Blon CROWD. After all my years on HeadFi first time I've been part of a crowd. Do we have valid ears or invalid ears if we hear an IEM very differently to Crinacle or the other non Blon CROWDS?

May 23, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #3,223 of 6,129
BL-03 is the most scandalous IEM that caused many serious conflicts and divided families. I stopped talking to my brother when he said that BLON has poor TECHNICALITIES because a member of The Crowd wouldn't forget such an insult. If UN peacekeepes weren't involved this situation would cause a World War after that famous Oppotie Gulf crisis.

May 23, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #3,224 of 6,129

I do like Crin’s tonality and technical grades that he has implemented for his ranking system, but I don‘t find that the difference between the two is as big as it could and often should be. The BL03 is a prime example. If he wants to knock the technicalities, that’s a fair point (though I find it’s technicalities quite capable), but I think the tonality is pretty universally liked, and thus could‘ve been given a much higher grade. Just a thought.
I agree with Crinnacle more often than Bad Boy. FWIW. Plus I can't tolerate the rambling of Bad Boy. If the guy could just write out an outline of what he wanted to say and cut it down by about 60% maybe I would give him a shot again.

May 23, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #3,225 of 6,129
Mudslinging and jokes aside, still enjoying my BL05. They are a lighter more aggressive BL03, that goes well with fast music. Its the dynamic nature of it - strong sub bass and sparkly highs that demand you attention. And improved mids due it it being less warm than its predecessor. Which is the reason why I said its great for rock and metal. Don't get me wrong its still good for pop, jazz and other genres but that FR playing some some electronic music for example sound a bit weird due its aggressive nature of it. Like it can can overemphasize or put forward certain sounds and instruments which would be usually more in the background.

I taped the sides vents for even more bass (what can I say.. I'm a stickler for V shaped Iem's). If it only had a touch more mid bass and treble was ever so slightly notched down, this would have been a really good all rounder for everything.. but then I have the WF1000XM3 for that. These do however give a bigger sense of sound stage and put up a much more exciting listen. I can say its not for everyone though, BL03 is a probably a safer bet for most people, and if you can stump up some more cash, maybe look into the Moondrop Starfield. I still have the KPE's which are still really good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back