Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
May 1, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #2,986 of 6,129
are those usb "cleaners" legit? Seems like snake oil to me...the same with those that claim to "clean" your wall socket like this one:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...official-thread-new-reviews-at-page-8.912090/

If the device is powered from the computer through the USB cable, there might be voltage variations depending on variations of the PC/laptop power load and that presumably slightly affect the sound quality of the USB audio output device.

If the device is self-powered or externally powered the only thing that can affect the sound would be some irregularity in data flow, a form of jitter which should affect synchronous devices only.

I guess USB cleaner address either or both of these but I don't think noise can come from the PC/laptop through USB unlike with onboard audio or internal soundcards that might have their analog output circuitry quite badly affected by electromagnetic interference (coming especially in my experience from the GPU).

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #2,987 of 6,129
is this issue with the plating common? Will it scrape off with time?
These are new, just unboxed.

WIN_20200502_14_43_16_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #2,988 of 6,129
are those usb "cleaners" legit? Seems like snake oil to me...the same with those that claim to "clean" your wall socket like this one:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...official-thread-new-reviews-at-page-8.912090/
I once purchased an iFi iSilencer 3.0 to address what I thought was EMI from my PC that I was hearing through my JDS Labs Element while music was not playing or playing very softly. It wasn't snake-oil, per se, but it didn't work perfectly. If I listened intently could hear a faint popping sound when the EMI was being muffled by the iSilencer.
I later realized that the EMI was coming from my phone and not my PC and ended up just keeping my phone further away from The Element on my desk when listening to music.
However, I have no doubt that many of these products are snake oil, particularly the ones that claim to "clean" your USB signal. AudioScienceReview has measured a few of them and for the most part they actually make things worse.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #2,989 of 6,129
Bored during lockdown, so decided to try Slater's mod since I've not really used the blon bl-03 as much these days since the treble was a little too "tame" for my taste. At first I tried using the nylon mesh from a dead MH755 I had lying around. Tried with the foam/sponge material from the MH755 as well, it was even more dull, tried just the mesh and still wasn't much better. (photos in spoilers)

5NtbpE8.jpg

remembered slater mention that the stock mesh has 2 layers, so tried splitting off one of them using a penknife. Got it separately cleanly with some gentle persuasion.
pBpEnKs.jpg

left = stock BL03 mesh, middle = stock mesh split into two, right = MH755 mesh
YuYcdMp.jpg

the mesh on the MH755 (left) is a little thicker than the split off portion from the BL03 mesh (right). I tried using that for convenience since the adhesive is still there, but I didn't feel like it made a huge difference compared to just the MH755 mesh, and still wasn't completely happy with it.
2kCWAoe.jpg

So in the end i took a bit of double-sided tape, cut really thin strip and applied it on opposing sides of the steel mesh and used that instead.
dN5Y6Wp.jpg

Used a pen that had just the right diameter at the end to secure the mesh in place. and this is the final result. Liking it so far! While I enjoyed the Blon's tonality, higher females vocals have always sounded a little too "tamed" for my taste, and I listen to quite a lot of them. With the mod that I did, it sounds more towards my liking now. Tested with some songs that I regularly listen to, and it's more enjoyable to me for sure. For my ears it's not too intense or peaky still (maybe because i'm not exactly young and haven't exactly been taking great care of my hearing lol), so sticking with this for now. Will give it more play time over more types of music now.

Thanks for sharing the info Slater! :thumbsup::L3000:

RF45iqH.jpg

May 5, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #2,991 of 6,129
BL03 is so good that i think it deserves a thread, also rumors that improved model in the future exist so lets keep the ball rolling.
IMG_20191010_164843.jpg

I ordered my BL-03's a few days ago. Very excited to receive them and compare with my KZ ED9 and KZ ZS5.

May 5, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #2,992 of 6,129
May 5, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #2,993 of 6,129
Huh, what BL05? I’m too busy enjoying my BL03! :ksc75smile:

May 5, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #2,994 of 6,129
May 5, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #2,995 of 6,129
According to DHL I should get my Blon 05 on May 11th. I am looking forwards to listening side by side with the Blon 03. I'm aware it was going to have a piezo driver and a DD, but I'm glad they decided against the piezo driver...... for timbre reasons. Anyway I paid the full whack for them, so no jobsworthy, freebie mentality on my part. Can they equal or better the Blon 03? That may be a tough call but we'll soon see.

May 6, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #2,996 of 6,129
Anyone had their Blon 05 dispatched yet? Sure is taking some time for me.
Yeah, mine is dispatched via DHL. I wonder how long it will take though. I ordered the VE Bonus IE a month back. Yet to arrive sadly. #sigh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back